follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 01-12-2022, 09:38 PM   #1
Madax123

Drives: Turbo BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Forged internals w/ Turbo mileage for daily use

Hi guys,
I have a forged internals (10.5:1 pistons, forged rods etc) turbo'd BRZ that now unfortunately is burning oil after 21,000 miles (or 35,000km). Leakdown showed a 22% leak in cylinder 3, other cylinders ranged from 8-15% but compression is 150-155psi all round. It is also has greyish smoke whenever I do a WARM start, but the car drives pretty normally otherwise.

I am potentially looking at rebuild options:

- going forged internals again (but I am scared that forged pistons has reduced the longevity of the motor)

- new OEM shortblock with forged conrods and running moderate power on E85

- or a used longblock (but they are going for 3-4k in Australia...)

Can anyone vouch for good longevity of forged motors? Or would going for a new OEM shortblock with forged conrods be the best way to ensure reliability for a daily?
Thx!
Madax123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 09:41 PM   #2
TommyW

Drives: '13 Whiteout
Thanked 1,242 Times in 673 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Look at an IAG shortblock
TommyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 10:53 PM   #3
Jdmjunkie

Drives: Scion FR-S 10 Series
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
K-Swap and turbo
Jdmjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jdmjunkie For This Useful Post:
brianbui23 (01-26-2022), WC-BRZ (01-13-2022)
Old 01-13-2022, 02:18 AM   #4
WC-BRZ

Drives: Black BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdmjunkie View Post
K-Swap and turbo
This is by far the best option.

Look up all the failure rates on built FA20's as well; so a built short block from IAG, or anywhere else for that matter, will most likely blow up as opposed to a stock, boosted (and properly tuned) K24.

Stock K24's get up to 400hp without a sweat and will be reliable all day long. Plenty of 500hp examples out there as well.
WC-BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 11:32 AM   #5
PulsarBeeerz

Drives: JRSC BRZ SOLD
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WC-BRZ View Post
This is by far the best option.

Look up all the failure rates on built FA20's as well; so a built short block from IAG, or anywhere else for that matter, will most likely blow up as opposed to a stock, boosted (and properly tuned) K24.

Stock K24's get up to 400hp without a sweat and will be reliable all day long. Plenty of 500hp examples out there as well.
Also the most expensive option with a NA Kswap running $12k. A turbo added would easily crest $16k. It would be a great motor after getting it up and running for sure.

A new short block with forged conn rods will likely be just fine as it solves the biggest issue with boost on this engine. As much as I like E85 the lack of lubricity probably didn't help the longevity of your engine. A majority of blown FI FA20s where running E85 at the time. Maybe the added stress of the additional HP, maybe the added ring friction of E85 washing the cylinder walls. Who's to say.
PulsarBeeerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 02:49 AM   #6
Madax123

Quote:
Originally Posted by PulsarBeeerz View Post
Also the most expensive option with a NA Kswap running $12k. A turbo added would easily crest $16k. It would be a great motor after getting it up and running for sure.

A new short block with forged conn rods will likely be just fine as it solves the biggest issue with boost on this engine. As much as I like E85 the lack of lubricity probably didn't help the longevity of your engine. A majority of blown FI FA20s where running E85 at the time. Maybe the added stress of the additional HP, maybe the added ring friction of E85 washing the cylinder walls. Who's to say.
Were these FI FA20s stock con rods? I haven't actually seen many forums of built FA20s or FA20s with forged conrods to have failures
Old 01-15-2022, 08:06 AM   #7
Brz-123

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madax123 View Post
Hi guys,

I have a forged internals (10.5:1 pistons, forged rods etc) turbo'd BRZ that now unfortunately is burning oil after 21,000 miles (or 35,000km). Leakdown showed a 22% leak in cylinder 3, other cylinders ranged from 8-15% but compression is 150-155psi all round. It is also has greyish smoke whenever I do a WARM start, but the car drives pretty normally otherwise.

- going forged internals again (but I am scared that forged pistons has reduced the longevity of the motor)

Can anyone vouch for good longevity of forged motors? Or would going for a new OEM shortblock with forged conrods be the best way to ensure reliability for a daily?

Thx!
From one of the very reputable UK tuners.

Many consider a forged engine to be "the silver bullet" that it fixes all problems, is infinitely reliable and will last forever. It could not be further from the truth, a forged engine needs to be treated with greater respect than the above package or a stock engine. It must be properly warmed up and cooled down, serviced and maintained far more regularly, taking on a forged engine is not something to take lightly, properly consider if it meets your needs or not.

You need to go back to stock pistons, new shortblock, Forged conrods and then boost.

Read this thoroughly.

https://www.fensport.co.uk/pages/for...e-build-prices

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk
Brz-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Brz-123 For This Useful Post:
Jaden (01-16-2022), YCK (11-20-2023)
Old 01-15-2022, 08:34 AM   #8
Kiske

Drives: RX-7 / BRZ
Thanked 2,501 Times in 1,081 Posts
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Do you have a blueprint for the engine? Your more than likely going to have to tear her open to see what failed or is out of spec. Who built it? Are you sure it wasn't slapped together without tollerance checking?

Yes forged engines do have a tendancy to burn oil worse than oem. This is multiplied by bad break-in procedure too.
Old 01-16-2022, 11:43 AM   #9
Jaden
Road-hole

Drives: 2013 Whiteout FR-S
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
I don't know why so many people go with forged pistons...

Quote:
Hi guys,

Thx!
Forged pistons expand and contract more than hyper pistons, this causes piston slap when the engine is cold and WILL reduce longevity.

Unless you're going for like 600 or more hp, non-hyper pistons shouldn't really be necessary. The short coming with the FA20 in the 86 is the rods. If you want a built motor that will last longer, get some forged rods, some good bearings (king), proper ring gap for the power level you want and use hypereutectic or even stock pistons and some good head studs.

The problem is when someone goes to the expense of a built engine they want growth for more power down the road and they end up over building it for that reason. Unfortunately, you WILL lose longevity with certain choices to give you that extra room for growth. If you're looking for 400-550whp, just use hyper pistons that won't expand and contract as much and you'll get more longevity out of your built motor.

Jaden
Jaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 01:40 PM   #10
PulsarBeeerz

Drives: JRSC BRZ SOLD
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Were these FI FA20s stock con rods? I haven't actually seen many forums of built FA20s or FA20s with forged conrods to have failures
I would say stock rods for sure. People get greedy on E85 and a few months later running even higher boost they pop. But almost all acknowledge that they were playing with fire.
PulsarBeeerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 06:28 AM   #11
Madax123

Thanks for the replies guys! Will get my mechanic to tear the motor apart and see what failed....

Tags
built, forged, reliability, turbo