follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 08-06-2018, 02:00 PM   #813
Sleepless

Drives: 2014 BRZ
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I believe you need a custom tune with a non-stock header with the CARB tune. You can get the CARB tune and then custom tune it and then switch back for emissions.

I vote for saving up for the SS 1LE since that seems to be an option.

Anything from Factory Five is not for the faint of heart. You need to be a very patient and mechanically inclined person. Expect nothing to fit properly!
Old 08-06-2018, 02:04 PM   #814
SkiRideDrive

Drives: 2015 FRS
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepless View Post
I believe you need a custom tune with a non-stock header with the CARB tune. You can get the CARB tune and then custom tune it and then switch back for emissions.

I vote for saving up for the SS 1LE since that seems to be an option.

Anything from Factory Five is not for the faint of heart. You need to be a very patient and mechanically inclined person. Expect nothing to fit properly!
Thanks for the tips. I have done a lot of research on the factory five kits and would agree with you, I just fell in love with that new Gen 3 chassis. Feel like it is the first one they have really done well. Feel like the project is totally doable, but feel like it would be frustrating knowing they could have probably done a better job integrating the pieces of the kit.
Old 08-06-2018, 02:44 PM   #815
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,166 Times in 6,828 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiRideDrive View Post
Hello everyone,

I am considering forced induction for my 2015 FRS. If I pull the trigger, my research has swayed me to the Jackson Racing C38 supercharger (the edelbrock was the runner up). Planned use is daily driver/canyon runs/occasional track day.

I live in California and am planning on going back to carb compliant once the car needs to be smogged for the first time (after six years from new iirc).

Planned setup was the JR C38 Carb tune and the JR Dual Radiator / Oil cooler setup. I currently have Gruppe-S UEL headers on the car and an OFT tune. It seems I would need to unload the OFT to run the ECUtek tuner/carb tune.

My questions are:
1.Does anyone have experience with the JR Carb tune with uncatted UEL headers? I was hoping to leave my Gruppe-S header installed until I had to swap back to stock for smog in a few years.

2. If not, better off running a custom tune until smog? But then I'd have to get the smog tune later at additional cost and not sure if the kit would have the smog number then.

3. Any comments on the dual radiator/oil cooler versus a traditional air to oil oil cooler? I am currently running an OEM style subaru oil cooler for a little help on the NA motor but it won't be sufficient with the added power. I've logged pretty extensively in another thread about that cooler.

Alternatives would be to stay NA a bit longer to save up some money and pick up a Camaro SS 1LE or build something like a Factory Five Gen 3 Coupe down the road. I drove the SS this past weekend and was pretty happy with the power, but not ready to dump that kind of cash right now.
1. you can, but it will not run as intended (and quite badly at higher RPMs).

2. Aftermarket tunes will make it run properly, but will not be CARB legal.

3. Go with the oil-air cooler. Why? Because you mentioned track duty.

When you're ready, PM to order.

You can always get more power with a Camaro SS, but that weight will show when you drive it hard; Camaros needing new tires after just 1 weekend of tracking with a novice, is normal and expected. 86CUP drivers usually get 10-12 events out of a set of SX2.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 05:21 PM   #816
SkiRideDrive

Drives: 2015 FRS
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
1. you can, but it will not run as intended (and quite badly at higher RPMs).

2. Aftermarket tunes will make it run properly, but will not be CARB legal.

3. Go with the oil-air cooler. Why? Because you mentioned track duty.

When you're ready, PM to order.

You can always get more power with a Camaro SS, but that weight will show when you drive it hard; Camaros needing new tires after just 1 weekend of tracking with a novice, is normal and expected. 86CUP drivers usually get 10-12 events out of a set of SX2.
Thank you for your thoughts. I share the same concerns for the bigger and heavier car.
Old 08-08-2018, 07:02 PM   #817
Anderzz

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Premium
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
@CSG Mike I'm curious, do you think using the non-RS HBP on a stock block C38 kit would be pushing my luck? My gut says yes but I also don't run e85 nor have any intention to, so I don't think the numbers would get too out of hand?

Do you know of anyone going that route and either experiencing/not experiencing issues?
Old 08-10-2018, 08:07 PM   #818
SubyRS1

Drives: 2015 Scion FRS-One
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
@ JR or factual info. I have the complete JR supercharger system with intercooler and both oil coolers and factory tune on an FRS is just purchased. At 60 pages for this thread it was too much to go through for a simple question.

I know JR says CARB legal "emissions" test, but what about the visual test of all parts when I have to get my 2015 FRS smogged? Will the installed system pass the visual test?
Old 08-13-2018, 03:07 PM   #819
amcp1

Drives: frs
Carb legal should include visual as well.
amcp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to amcp1 For This Useful Post:
SubyRS1 (08-13-2018)
Old 08-13-2018, 03:46 PM   #820
CounterSpace Garage

Drives: Subaru BRZ / Toyota 86 Experts
Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubyRS1 View Post
@ JR or factual info. I have the complete JR supercharger system with intercooler and both oil coolers and factory tune on an FRS is just purchased. At 60 pages for this thread it was too much to go through for a simple question.

I know JR says CARB legal "emissions" test, but what about the visual test of all parts when I have to get my 2015 FRS smogged? Will the installed system pass the visual test?
We have had no issues passing smog visuals and emissions with JR FTS (CARB exempt) kits for the BRZ/FR-S/86.
CounterSpace Garage is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CounterSpace Garage For This Useful Post:
SubyRS1 (08-13-2018)
Old 08-13-2018, 05:29 PM   #821
CSG Mike

Quote:

Any CARB legal kit will pass *all* smog inspections.
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
SubyRS1 (08-13-2018)
Old 08-13-2018, 05:43 PM   #822
SubyRS1

Thankyou very much : ) This is the only car I have ever owned that has a modified engine. I have read of people getting fined just for having an open aftermarket air intake & filter and I see that big K&N filter under my hood and started wondering. I was also missing the JR CARB O.E. number sticker under my hood, so I called the previous owner and he is getting that to me now.
Old 08-13-2018, 07:15 PM   #823
CSG Mike

Quote:
Thankyou very much : ) This is the only car I have ever owned that has a modified engine. I have read of people getting fined just for having an open aftermarket air intake & filter and I see that big K&N filter under my hood and started wondering. I was also missing the JR CARB O.E. number sticker under my hood, so I called the previous owner and he is getting that to me now.
The sticker is purely cosmetic. Print out and carry a copy of the EO.

https://arb.parts/Executive-Order/D-700-5.pdf
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
new2subaru (08-13-2018)
Old 08-25-2018, 08:28 PM   #824
SubyRS1

I noticed in a video the clutch slipping on another FRS with the Jackson SC. Jackson says 15,000 plus and no clutch issues. I just noticed massive clutch slip on my FRS-1 today when adding some revs while rolling and releasing in an attempt to scrub my squirmy new Conti Extreme Contact tires. Performance clutch is in my future I think. Car only has 4k miles on it.
Old 08-25-2018, 11:06 PM   #825
CSG Mike

Quote:
I noticed in a video the clutch slipping on another FRS with the Jackson SC. Jackson says 15,000 plus and no clutch issues. I just noticed massive clutch slip on my FRS-1 today when adding some revs while rolling and releasing in an attempt to scrub my squirmy new Conti Extreme Contact tires. Performance clutch is in my future I think. Car only has 4k miles on it.
Are you on the CARB tune?
Old 08-26-2018, 11:02 PM   #826
SubyRS1

Yes it is the California Carb tune by JR. It runs very well it just seems to be overpowering the stock clutch. I don't remember where I saw the video last week but it clearly showed the RPMs raising, then dropping under full throttle between 1st & 2nd gear. And that wasn't even clutching/reving the car the way I did. 100 extra hp does seem like a big jump for a stock clutch.

Tags
jackson racing, jrsc, rotrex, supercharger, track