follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 10-21-2020, 10:02 PM   #239
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,805 Times in 3,299 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCard600 View Post
15 miles a day ? Elon needs to lay off the weed.

A model S uses something like 300 watt hours per mile. You would need 6 hours of sun at optimum angle with 750 watt solar array to get the 4,500 watt need to go 15 miles.

They aren't fitting a 750 watt solar array on the roof of this thing. Maybe some kind of fold out array would be possible but I still think the size would be a problem for anything not the size of an RV. 750 watts of solar panels is pretty big.
Highway and acceleration will consume more watts, so it might be slightly better in low-grade, off-road situations.

Old 10-21-2020, 10:02 PM   #240
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
i'm specifically making plans to purchase a new truck within the next few years to avoid anything and everything that has an OTA option.

i don't want this hummer or anything tesla's selling.

if they build a time machine, i'm going back. now get off my lawn before i get the hose out.
Dadhawk (10-22-2020), NoHaveMSG (10-22-2020)
Old 10-21-2020, 11:47 PM   #241
WildCard600

Drives: 2020 86
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irace86.2.0 View Post
Highway and acceleration will consume more watts, so it might be slightly better in low-grade, off-road situations.

The 6.2 m² figure is oversized since they included part of the roof that won't be part of the solar tonneu cover. If the roof is also a solar panel it would bring the figure closer to this but would still have to account for the edges of the roof and the edges of the articulating panels.

20% panel efficiency is hugely optimistic in a fixed application without even the ability to adjust panel angle seasonably. Solar panels themselves are certainly capable of that kind of efficiency, but that is under ideal conditions.

Look, I think the idea is awesome. Reminds me of something out of a science fiction movie I saw as a kid. But lets be honest about these things and have realistic expectations.

I might believe the 15 miles/day figure if you had this thing parked in death valley with the panels pointed due south on a cloudless day. Real world figures I would be impressed if the numbers were even half that.
WildCard600 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WildCard600 For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (10-22-2020)
Old 10-22-2020, 01:31 AM   #242
Irace86.2.0

Quote:
The 6.2 m² figure is oversized since they included part of the roof that won't be part of the solar tonneu cover. If the roof is also a solar panel it would bring the figure closer to this but would still have to account for the edges of the roof and the edges of the articulating panels.

20% panel efficiency is hugely optimistic in a fixed application without even the ability to adjust panel angle seasonably. Solar panels themselves are certainly capable of that kind of efficiency, but that is under ideal conditions.

Look, I think the idea is awesome. Reminds me of something out of a science fiction movie I saw as a kid. But lets be honest about these things and have realistic expectations.

I might believe the 15 miles/day figure if you had this thing parked in death valley with the panels pointed due south on a cloudless day. Real world figures I would be impressed if the numbers were even half that.
Where there is a will there is a way. Regardless of how someone could make it work, people will always have a retort of how or when it won’t work. I get it. EVs aren’t for everyone. Maybe your solution is to get an EV with a gas powered range extender. No more range anxiety.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CBKeBUfJ...eo_watch_again
Old 10-22-2020, 02:17 AM   #243
WildCard600

Drives: 2020 86
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Where there is a will there is a way. Regardless of how someone could make it work, people will always have a retort of how or when it won’t work. I get it. EVs aren’t for everyone. Maybe your solution is to get an EV with a gas powered range extender. No more range anxiety.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CBKeBUfJ...eo_watch_again
I fully support EV's. I hope some day to have a fully solar charged Jeep wrangler-esque 4x4 and a solar charged sport coupe. What I don't want is a bunch of useless (to me) tech and intrusive "product support" like Dadhawk talked about earlier.

I just don't think musk and his sycophants need to be running around making pie in the sky promises and trying to convince people that somehow "the future" has arrived when there are still many glaring issues that need to be addressed. But then again, musk seems to have made an assload of cash by over promising and under delivering and fools are lined up to give him even more money.
WildCard600 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WildCard600 For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (10-22-2020), soundman98 (10-22-2020), Spuds (10-22-2020)
Old 10-22-2020, 07:22 AM   #244
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,939 Times in 11,376 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
When it comes to driver safety software, which keeps the driver from crashing into me, or when it comes to security updates that protect the software from getting hacked, I don't really think these things should be options.
That's where we differ. I believe it is my responsibility not to crash into others and your responsibility not to crash into me, not the manufacturer of my car. In the end, I would accept safety updates, but I don't need Netflix, or "celebration modes" or other such nonsense in my car. The programming assets used to create those distractions could have been put to better use on aforementioned safety features.

And I would say that about any manufacturer. I hold no ill-will against Tesla, I just don't like their car design, either inside or outside, and not crazy about their approach to who actually owns the vehicle.

Ultimately, their goal seems to be to sell subscriptions to an autonomous car service. If that works for you great, it's just not my thing.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (10-22-2020), Spuds (10-22-2020), Ultramaroon (12-21-2020), WildCard600 (10-22-2020)
Old 10-22-2020, 07:38 AM   #245
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Quote:
Ugm, this article did nothing to change my mind because it basically reinforced what I was saying I did not want, and I'm not the only one, including Tesla owners, that feel that way.

Question, what happens if you disable the ability for your Tesla to get updates? Does the car no longer drive? I'm asking because I don't know.

The very first comment in this article is a "do not want" scenario to me.

Quote:
I understand those who dont want updates. . As late as yesterday I spend my day trying to get my S driving again. In the morning the key fob did not work - doors would not open. The App had no connection to the car. So could not get into the car. Called Tesla - they also had no connection to the car - it was simply off line due to computer problems. The car had to go to the service center - took a few hours. When they got into the car, all they did was to reset the computer - but then there was a new update. Suspect the update forced the computer to freeze. Those silly door handles prevent me from just opening the door manually and reset the computer on my own. The update just spoiled my day and was quit costly..

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
Spuds (10-22-2020), WildCard600 (10-22-2020)
Old 10-22-2020, 07:46 AM   #246
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Quote:
Originally Posted by p1l0t View Post
There is a solar option... it's only like 15mi/day but in theory you are never totally out of power...
If offroading, there's a simple solution, always go uphill first, then you can use regenerative braking on the way down to recharge....

At least it works in this bad boy

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
p1l0t (10-22-2020), Spuds (10-22-2020)
Old 10-22-2020, 11:00 AM   #247
p1l0t

Drives: 2016 Subaru BRZ Hyperblue
Thanked 9,371 Times in 4,813 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
If offroading, there's a simple solution, always go uphill first, then you can use regenerative braking on the way down to recharge....

At least it works in this bad boy
Nice!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
p1l0t is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to p1l0t For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (10-22-2020)
Old 10-22-2020, 02:05 PM   #248
Irace86.2.0

Quote:
I fully support EV's. I hope some day to have a fully solar charged Jeep wrangler-esque 4x4 and a solar charged sport coupe. What I don't want is a bunch of useless (to me) tech and intrusive "product support" like Dadhawk talked about earlier.

I just don't think musk and his sycophants need to be running around making pie in the sky promises and trying to convince people that somehow "the future" has arrived when there are still many glaring issues that need to be addressed. But then again, musk seems to have made an assload of cash by over promising and under delivering and fools are lined up to give him even more money.
I think their argument is that we have solutions for the masses. Like telephone carrier ads claiming 99% coverage, but it isn’t 100% or isn’t even excellent coverage everywhere, but wireless internet on phones is here for the masses, and it only gets better. Same thing.

Underdelivering on their timelines mostly. Tesla is a super rare and huge success by most metrics. The man is already a billionaire. He could have retired. Tesla has given their patents away and laid the groundwork for other corporations to emulate their pattern to success. They are an American corporation making cars in America. Jay Leno said it best when he said how he doesn’t understand the flack they get.

Does this come off as man looking to just screw people out of money?

Skip to 11:00...same thing.
Old 10-22-2020, 02:57 PM   #249
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Quote:
Does this come off as man looking to just screw people out of money?
Honestly, I've never thought he was trying to screw anyone out of anything. If you were going to do that you wouldn't pick the automotive or space industries there are much easier targets. Hell, if he wants to have a beer or even smoke one I'd love to sit with him and talk space and cars.

I think everything he has done with SpaceX is brilliant and the results prove it. Space travel should have been commercialized decades ago.

As far as Tesla, frankly, I wish Musk had backed hydrogen which I think is a better broad spectrum solution for long haul transportation, but his arguments are compelling. In the end, I think the cars are just too "Apple-like" for my taste. I like everything about the drivetrain and the effort being put in to make it succeed, and nothing about the software or the physical design of the car as I described elsewhere.

If Tesla had built something more closely to the Lyriq or even the MustangE or the ID.4 I would probably buy one from them, although I'm not crazy about the interior layout on either of of those last two. If the CyberTruck had looked like the Hummer or the Rivian, I'd be considering it.

I guess I'm just not "now" enough for Tesla.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
Irace86.2.0 (10-22-2020), p1l0t (10-22-2020), soundman98 (10-22-2020)
Old 10-22-2020, 03:15 PM   #250
p1l0t

Quote:
Honestly, I've never thought he was trying to screw anyone out of anything. If you were going to do that you wouldn't pick the automotive or space industries there are much easier targets. Hell, if he wants to have a beer or even smoke one I'd love to sit with him and talk space and cars.

I think everything he has done with SpaceX is brilliant and the results prove it. Space travel should have been commercialized decades ago.

As far as Tesla, frankly, I wish Musk had backed hydrogen which I think is a better broad spectrum solution for long haul transportation, but his arguments are compelling. In the end, I think the cars are just too "Apple-like" for my taste. I like everything about the drivetrain and the effort being put in to make it succeed, and nothing about the software or the physical design of the car as I described elsewhere.

If Tesla had built something more closely to the Lyriq or even the MustangE or the ID.4 I would probably buy one from them, although I'm not crazy about the interior layout on either of of those last two. If the CyberTruck had looked like the Hummer or the Rivian, I'd be considering it.

I guess I'm just not "now" enough for Tesla.
I really like the idea of retrofitting classic cars with electric drivelines. It's blasphamous in a way, but at the same time it can give new life to old body. Plus they can be used as daily drivers more reliably.

soundman98 (10-22-2020)
Old 10-22-2020, 03:38 PM   #251
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Quote:
Originally Posted by p1l0t View Post
I really like the idea of retrofitting classic cars with electric drivelines. It's blasphamous in a way, but at the same time it can give new life to old body. Plus they can be used as daily drivers more reliably.
My biggest issue with that is range. Unless your are replacing the chassis with a "skateboard" the range won't be there.

Also, let's make sure it's not an numbers matching or survivor car being converted.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
p1l0t (10-22-2020)
Old 10-22-2020, 03:41 PM   #252
p1l0t

Quote:
My biggest issue with that is range. Unless your are replacing the chassis with a "skateboard" the range won't be there.

Also, let's make sure it's not an numbers matching or survivor car being converted.
Depends, yes the weight is more to pull but the chassis can also hold more battery(ies). As batteries get lighter and lighter I think it will shift in the favor of larger chassis.

Dadhawk (10-22-2020)

Tags
knowitallsavingtheworld, longwindedcocksuckers