follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 01-08-2013, 11:09 AM   #29
Dave-ROR
Site Moderator

Drives: Stuff
Thanked 5,965 Times in 2,689 Posts
Mentioned: 262 Post(s)
Tagged: 8 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSxJunkie View Post
What were the shocks set to? The Boss and Laguna Seca have adjustable shocks with 5 settings. The Boss's stiffest setting is the LS's softest. I've driven a Boss. No more harsh on pockmarked, frost heaved Long Island roads than my modded GTO was, and that was definitely livable.
This LS's suspension was stiffer than the stock LS suspension, it was set around the middle of the adjustments IIRC, it's been fine tuned for Sebring since and it's quite livable.

I wouldn't say any Boss (LS or not) is harsh.
Tow: 2022 F-450
Toys: 2001 Chevrolet Corvette Z06, 1993 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1994 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
Parts: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited, 2005 Acura TSX
Projects: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited track car build
FS: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 LT CCSB 8.1/Allison with 99k miles
Dave-ROR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave-ROR For This Useful Post:
LSxJunkie (01-08-2013)
Old 01-11-2013, 03:51 AM   #30
tree fingers

Drives: '93 FD3S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
If the BOSS is out of your price range, I would second the motion for waiting for the price of a C6Z to drop a little. Worst case scenario, the '13 and '15 GTs will still be an option.
tree fingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 04:40 AM   #31
Grishbok
Volunteer Fire and Rescue

Drives: Ambulance... sideways.
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
The BOSS is like the frs of the muscle cars, once you drive it, you understand that nothing else in its category comes near it. Its the biproduct of what happens when the gt-40 pit crew gets a hold of a gt500, and works their unholy magic overnight. You end up with a slayer.

The BOSS is so good in fact, rules were changed as a result.

The 370z should be dismissed immediately, Nissan doesnt even know if their going to put a bigger or smaller engine in it yet, so i wouldnt hold my breath for anything short of unimpressive.

I won't go with a corvette, leafsprings and disagreeable styling. The engine is pretty nice, but still leaves a lot to be desired in response.

If you are considering a mustang, wait and buy a used BOSS, or save up and buy a BOSS, but if you buy anything else, youll only be reminded that you should have got the BOSS.
Old 01-11-2013, 01:11 PM   #32
JayNutter
Banned

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Never drove a BOSS, but hope to one day. The styling is a bit too loud for me anyways.
JayNutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 01:20 PM   #33
whaap

Drives: '13 FR-S firestorm, 6 mt - '11 CR-V
Thanked 1,387 Times in 657 Posts
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Maybe it's because of my age (old fart) but I adhere to the theory: So many cars, so little time. I'm against waiting for any thing. If you're worried about what the Mustang "might" be in the future, what's the problem. Buy one now and if, in the future they exceed your expectations, trade your pony in for a new one!

People can find all kinds of excuses to wait for what the future might hold and all they're doing is depriving themselves of pleasures they could be enjoying today.
whaap is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to whaap For This Useful Post:
Gixxersixxerman (01-13-2013)
Old 01-11-2013, 01:24 PM   #34
BioRage

Drives: ~_~
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
I really like the 370z....
Old 01-12-2013, 08:27 AM   #35
j.t.
Banned

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
If your into mustangs I would wait for the 2015. That model is going to be a complete re-design because it is going to be offered as a global platform. It will also be the first to come from the factory with an independent rear suspension.
j.t. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:26 AM   #36
ZDan

Drives: '23 BRZ
Thanked 3,891 Times in 2,032 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grishbok View Post
I won't go with a corvette, leafsprings
There is NOTHING wrong with the leafsprings on a modern Corvette, and a fair amount that's RIGHT (lightweight, mounted low, don't occupy much space) about them.

That the springs are composite blades instead of helically-wound wire doesn't detract from double-wishbones front/rear.

Quote:
The engine is pretty nice, but still leaves a lot to be desired in response.
???

Quote:
If you are considering a mustang, wait and buy a used BOSS, or save up and buy a BOSS, but if you buy anything else, youll only be reminded that you should have got the BOSS.
The boss does make a TON more power than the more pedestrian 5.0 (a lot more than hp ratings suggest). But it's a LOT more money, and in the end, still an oversized/overweight box of a car.

I'd much rather have an LS3 C6 than any new Mustang or the 370Z.
ZDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:07 PM   #37
Miniata

Drives: 13 BRZ - 90 Miata - 07 FXT -05 Mini
I'd wait for the next generation, 2015 Mustang GT. That's what I'm planning on doing. IRS, smaller, lighter, what's not to love? I had thought about trading in my '08 GT for a 2011 or 2012 5.0 GT, but mine is paid for and while the newer ones are nice, they aren't nice enough to want another car payment right now. Unless Ford really screws up the next Mustang in some way, I plan to get one in a couple of years, possibly trading in my current Mustang, or just keeping my '08 and getting a new one. Heck if it is good enough (much lighter and smaller than the current one) I may even get rid of the BRZ and Mustang for a new one. Torque is a wonderful thing.
Old 01-13-2013, 01:43 AM   #38
Grishbok
Volunteer Fire and Rescue

Drives: Ambulance... sideways.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZDan View Post
There is NOTHING wrong with the leafsprings on a modern Corvette, and a fair amount that's RIGHT (lightweight, mounted low, don't occupy much space) about them.

That the springs are composite blades instead of helically-wound wire doesn't detract from double-wishbones front/rear.

???

The boss does make a TON more power than the more pedestrian 5.0 (a lot more than hp ratings suggest). But it's a LOT more money, and in the end, still an oversized/overweight box of a car.

I'd much rather have an LS3 C6 than any new Mustang or the 370Z.
a lot of people do prefer the c6 to the mustang, and in terms of appearance so do it. But on the track, the boss was a game changer. SCCA had to nerf the rules because the boss was dominating, to the point of unfair advantage. That did not happen with the c6 vette. Im not a hater of vettes, it just does not respond in the fashion that is suitable for me and my style, i need faster response, and a tighter, shorter body. It is remarkable what theyve done with the leafsprings, but were not pioneering the west in a canvas wagon here. Its time to grow the car. I have said for YEARS that the vette is the single best bang for your buck hp car you can get, but it comes with a price, and you usually see that when you start taking it towards its peak. Which has been the main criticism, and will probably always be the main criticism.
Old 01-13-2013, 03:21 AM   #39
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Drives: Mk3 Supra with Semi-built 7MGTE
Thanked 2,265 Times in 1,234 Posts
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
^ I think it's a carbon fiber leaf spring. That's kinda cool.
@ZDan also keep in mind when you're throwing around words like 'oversize/overweight' that the Mustang's natural competition is the Camaro. The fact that the Boss is being compared to the Vette speaks to how well accomplished it is.

The next gen lighter Mustang with IRS (finally, and not some last-minute mod that had to fit chassis pick-up points from a solid axle like the SVT Cobras) may be a vehicle that will pull me over to domestics.

Because titanium.

Last edited by Dimman; 01-13-2013 at 03:23 AM. Reason: proper quote.
Dimman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 03:52 AM   #40
JoeBoxer

Drives: Whiteout FR-S
Thanked 1,627 Times in 997 Posts
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Rumors of the next 370 and g replacement(q50) are of a vq30dvt, direct injected turbo with roughly 400hp. If they are true and they can get it down closer to 3k pounds its going to be a beast.
JoeBoxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:53 AM   #41
ZDan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grishbok View Post
a lot of people do prefer the c6 to the mustang, and in terms of appearance so do it. But on the track, the boss was a game changer. SCCA had to nerf the rules because the boss was dominating, to the point of unfair advantage. That did not happen with the c6 vette.
Before they restricted it, the C6 Corvettes were KILLING the Boss Mustangs in SCCA World Challenge. They're not even in the same CLASS. The Corvette is in GT with the REAL sports cars, Boss Mustang is in GTS picking on fwd Acuras (and obese Camaros). Which apparently perturbed Peter Cunningham to the point that SCCA screwed over the Mustang BIG time with restrictor plates.

But the Corvettes were WAY faster than the Boss Mustangs *before* they were restricted.

Quote:
Im not a hater of vettes, it just does not respond in the fashion that is suitable for me and my style, i need faster response,
"Faster response"? Vs. a Corvette? Dream on...
Quick search shows the boss does have a slightly quicker steering box, 16:1 vs. the Corvette's 17:1. But weighing a good 300 lb more, on a longer wheelbase, and with 55% of its weight on its front tires, the Boss isn't going to turn in as well as a Corvette.

Quote:
and a tighter, shorter body.
If "tighter" means "fatter", and "shorter" means "longer", then the Boss has a "tighter", "shorter" body.
In the real world, the Mustang is 14" longer, 6"(!) higher, and 400 lb. heavier than the Corvette.
The enormous Mustang looks the box that a Corvette might come in.

Quote:
It is remarkable what theyve done with the leafsprings, but were not pioneering the west in a canvas wagon here.
Your comments on the leaf springs betray a lack of understanding about how suspensions work. The Corvette's double-wishbones front and rear are VASTLY superior to the Mustang's front struts and archaic/sucky LIVE REAR AXLE.
All the springs do is provide restoring force. Pounds per inch. Composite leafs do this every bit as well as helically wound wire, while weighing less and taking up less space.

Quote:
Its time to grow the car.
Like they GREW the Mustang? GOD, NO!

Quote:
I have said for YEARS that the vette is the single best bang for your buck hp car you can get,
??? The Boss Mustang makes more power than the base and GS Corvettes, for less money. The one advantage the Boss *does* have is hp/$.
Weird that you see Boss disadvantages as advantages, and advantages as disadvantages.

Quote:
but it comes with a price, and you usually see that when you start taking it towards its peak. Which has been the main criticism, and will probably always be the main criticism.
What are you talking about? Corvettes are taken to the limit at the track all the time. And they are faster than Mustangs there.

Corvettes are far from perfect sports cars, but they are superior to the Mustang.

Last edited by ZDan; 01-13-2013 at 07:32 AM.
Old 01-13-2013, 07:15 AM   #42
ZDan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimman View Post
^ I think it's a carbon fiber leaf spring. That's kinda cool.
I think they're fiberglass, but still they are pretty cool. 1/3 the weight of two coil springs.

Quote:
@ZDan also keep in mind when you're throwing around words like 'oversize/overweight' that the Mustang's natural competition is the Camaro.
I know. But the Mustang *used* to be lighter-weight than the Corvette! IMO, it's overweight, but of course the Camaro is MUCH more so.
Still, HUGELY overweight Camaros that are slower in a straight line have been outrunning Mustangs in track comparisons (Ford for some dumb reason provided one of the mags with a GT to compare against a 1LE Camaro, no contest there).

As much as I am a HUGE fan of lighter weight and HATE overweight cars, Camaro vs. Mustang at the track pretty much proves that better suspension and better weight distribution can overcome a 200+ lb. weight disadvantage. The much-slower-in-a-straight-line ZL1 KILLED the GT500 in Car and Driver's Lightning Lap at VIR, by more than 3 seconds. That's telling. The way way WAY slower-in-a-straight-line 1LE Camaro was less than a second slower than the GT500. Unfortunately they didn't test a Boss or GT Mustang this year.

Quote:
The next gen lighter Mustang with IRS (finally, and not some last-minute mod that had to fit chassis pick-up points from a solid axle like the SVT Cobras) may be a vehicle that will pull me over to domestics.
I'm looking forward to it!