follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 10-16-2020, 11:41 AM   #1
ThaDonJsuan

Drives: 2020 Subaru BRZ Sport-tech
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Dashcam taht records speed/rpm/etc. for tracking?

Hey all,

Does anyone have any idea/suggestions for how to record speed/rpm/etc. when track driving like this guy does in this video?

please share any product/software you know of!

ThaDonJsuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 12:02 PM   #2
CrowsFeast

Drives: 2013 BRZ Sport-Tech
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Usually this is done via a phone app like racechrono (there's several out there) linked to a bluetooth OBD reader. The video itself could be just from the phone but I think they also can link to gopro's, etc.
CrowsFeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 01:12 PM   #3
gkubed

Drives: 15 ZN6, 97 NA8, 87 AE82, 78 MX32
Garage
See:
https://gps-laptimer.de/products
or
https://aim-sportline.com/en/product...v2.1/index.htm

There are other methods as well.
gkubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 03:50 PM   #4
magbrz

Drives: 2020 BRZ w/ PP
I've done this using data from Torque Pro with a cheap ELM BT OBDII adapter. I used RaceRender to overlay the data from Torque Pro over video shot on a front facing GoPro. Works really well!
magbrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 07:51 PM   #5
SCFD

Drives: FR-S
I just got RaceChrono this year since I read it was easiest to use if you don't want to fiddle with extra desktop software.

It's been great and this video was done all on my phone. I just chose the lap I wanted, exporting it, then upload to YouTube.

SCFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 09:15 PM   #6
Evan55

Drives: 06 Exige, 17 BRZ PP
There was a kickstarter for a dashcam that did this, was expensive IIRC ~$400. No idea what happened to it.
Evan55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 09:54 PM   #7
femaledog

Drives: 2017 BRZ Perf. Pkg.
aim solo is great and the logs overlay on gopro with racerender.
femaledog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 06:42 PM   #8
Matt93SE

Drives: 2013 FR-S, 2017 BRZ
Bringing up a dated thread, but you might find the info useful...

Harry's Lap Timer, RaceChrono, and TrackAddict are phone apps that do video and overlay, etc.
http://www.motorsa.co.za/top-five-sm...ne-lap-timers/

Many of those apps have a data resolution limit though because the phone's GPS only updates at 1Hz. (there are add-on GPS modules that get your phone to 5 or 10hz, but they eat tons more battery). include the error built into consumer grade GPS, and your lap times and lines around the track aren't going to be terribly accurate for study and driver coaching. They are good to get started though...

So if you're interested in basic stuff and only concerned with getting the lap time accurate within a few tenths, then those types of guys are great and FREE.

There are a few standalone cameras out there which will do a lot of this as well. new GoPros have a built in GPS and can do some basic data overlay on position straight from the camera.
Garmin VIRB came out a few years ago and did the same thing. they also had the 360 cameras and guys would put them on top of their cars. neat gimmick, but not terribly useful IMO.

If you want more accurate lap times (0.001s resolution) with the video overlay, etc, then get an external data unit like an AIM Solo or their dash systems, and then use a camera for video (your phone works here).. combine the data stream and video using an app like Race Render.

AIM also has their proprietary SmartyCam hardware which interfaces with their data units. it starts recording when you're going over 10mph and dumps the data and video straight to an SD card. after you're done, pull the card out of the camera and plug it into a laptop. voila. video and data is all there and EASY. but EXPENSIVE.

Of the big data guys, AIM is the most popular, but there's a dozen or so major companies out there.. AIM, Motec, Racepak, RaceLogic, Traqmate that I can think of off hand.

All the good ones will interface with the car's CAN bus so you can get engine and chassis data as well as the GPS for speed and position.

After a session, I download the engine and driving data to my laptop from the AIM. The AIM data then gets processed by their software and and exported to a .CSV file for video processing (this takes like 3-5 min- not hard).. Then I pull the SD card from GoPro and combine the data and video in RaceRender.
syncing the camera and data takes a few minutes- usually you have to line something up like start/finish on the video and data, or a race start/shift on the front straight, etc.. so you find those things in the video and data and align them in software.

End product is like this: I was only using one camera for this race, but I usually have front and rear camera.
Matt93SE is offline   Reply With Quote