follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 12-15-2016, 09:24 AM   #15
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: GR Corolla
Thanked 3,014 Times in 1,856 Posts
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsspat View Post
Oh no. I thought I was satisfied with all the bulbs, but now you're making me want these HVA side ones. I see a bunch of different versions (top firing, side firing, combination, etc.). Which one are these?
The ones I got are the 360* ones
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 02:04 AM   #16
maui86

Drives: 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsspat View Post
I read a whole bunch of papers about lights and safety statistics, including LED vs. incandescent, brightness, color, and other tricks. One thing that definitely stood out was that amber signal lamps are better at preventing accidents than red signal lamps.

Before I found the X-treme Ultinon amber 7440, I used to run the Red Vision 7440 as rear signals, but never really liked the idea of running red signal bulbs, even though they're allowed in the U.S unlike in almost all other countries.

I can understand the benefit of doubling up the brake lights, though. Too bad there're no red/amber switchbacks....

I've seen the same conclusions in debates over the effectiveness of amber/orange vs. red signaling and, personally I believe that if done properly a red signal should be just as effective. That's why I've got the rears wired in such a way - 2 brake lights per corner, and one big ole circle of LEDs blinking in your face should get your attention when you're behind me!

I've mentioned this a few times but I would like to get something that would fill the former rear turn now secondary rear brake a bit better, with a bit more brightness. I have a feeling I'm going to have to go Triton for this, but keep putting off pulling the trigger on them.

In a perfect world, there would be an Amber/Red/White switchback unit with amber Ultinon output/reflector fill attributes. Would require some thought on how to wire the interface, but I'm sure it could be done. There are a few red/white switchbacks floating around out there which I've toyed with the idea of using as brake/reverse, but I'm not sure they would fill the rear turn reflector adequately.

I'm not sure if you've seen it, but I recall there is/was a member around here that converted his rear signals to blink amber on signal, and power on white in reverse. Accomplished this via rewiring the rear turn to 7443, with Diode Dynamics XP80's or JDMAstar switchbacks if I remember correctly.
He had a couple of very detailed follow along/DIY threads on this forum, probably somewhere in this sub forum. Turned out well; look it up I think you might enjoy it
maui86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 02:36 AM   #17
Kaotic Lazagna

Is this the one you're talking about?

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IG0KXK-O-jY"]How to install switchback LED's for better reverse lights in your BRZ/FR-S/GT86! - SLOPOK - YouTube[/ame]
The Following User Says Thank You to Kaotic Lazagna For This Useful Post:
maui86 (12-19-2016)
Old 12-16-2016, 08:03 AM   #18
catsspat

Drives: 2013 BRZ Premium MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Using a switchback for the rear signal + backup light is pretty smart.
I think some (all?) switchbacks will only turn on the main if both are powered at the same time, but I doubt you'd need backup light and signal light together all that often. And since you can consider them to be basically two independent bulbs sharing the same ground, this mod is also pretty simple.

I love the YouTube comment about adding a physical switch to force the backup light to turn on. Tailgaters beware. Blinding light ahead.
catsspat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to catsspat For This Useful Post:
Jajanken86 (12-18-2016)
Old 12-18-2016, 11:25 AM   #19
Kaotic Lazagna

Got the X-VF switchbacks from a gift exchange. Just gotta order a flasher relay and rear LED turn signals from VLED.
Old 12-18-2016, 08:11 PM   #20
eep

Drives: 2013 WRX
Just put these in my WRX as front signals. Not much brighter but they do seem to fill the reflectors a little better than the XB's (which I had one of them die on me after 3 months).

Question for those that have the X-VF's: did you notice that if you stop signaling but try to signal again during the "fade on" period, they do not start signaling until the fade is complete. Seems to be a bit of a safety issue if you have to signal twice in a row quickly.
eep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 05:51 AM   #21
maui86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaotic Lazagna View Post
Is this the one you're talking about?

yup that's the one. think they did a multi page thread on the steps and shortcomings as well . . .
Old 12-19-2016, 05:55 AM   #22
maui86

Quote:
Originally Posted by eep View Post
Just put these in my WRX as front signals. Not much brighter but they do seem to fill the reflectors a little better than the XB's (which I had one of them die on me after 3 months).

Question for those that have the X-VF's: did you notice that if you stop signaling but try to signal again during the "fade on" period, they do not start signaling until the fade is complete. Seems to be a bit of a safety issue if you have to signal twice in a row quickly.

I did not notice that but I had a different "hiccup" that caused a very short delay initially - Asked TRS about it and our best guess is it's down to the TapTurn flasher (which is the best flasher currently on the market btw; highly recommended )
Old 12-19-2016, 05:58 AM   #23
maui86

Quote:
Got the X-VF switchbacks from a gift exchange. Just gotta order a flasher relay and rear LED turn signals from VLED.
Hope ya like it! - I highly recommend TapTurn relay (despite the slight delay I mentioned above) or, wait it out as Diode Dynamics mentioned coming out with a similar "feature" flasher sometime in the future.
Old 12-19-2016, 01:53 PM   #24
Kaotic Lazagna

Quote:
Originally Posted by maui86 View Post
Hope ya like it! - I highly recommend TapTurn relay (despite the slight delay I mentioned above) or, wait it out as Diode Dynamics mentioned coming out with a similar "feature" flasher sometime in the future.
I wanted to run these switchbacks asap, so I decided to risk one from eBay (looks just like the VLED one I'm planning on getting). Same color of body and connector, and the speed adjustment dial is at the same place. lol

I'll wait until VLEDs has a sale so I can order their relay and their rear turn signals.
Old 12-25-2016, 06:03 PM   #25
Kaotic Lazagna

Got the flasher in the mail, so installed these switchbacks.

Turns (X-VF on the passenger side, OEM on the driver)

Parking light mode (same set up as above):
maui86 (12-26-2016)
Old 12-26-2016, 12:23 AM   #26
maui86

Quote:
Got the flasher in the mail, so installed these switchbacks.

Turns (X-VF on the passenger side, OEM on the driver)

Parking light mode (same set up as above):
Looking good
I decided to pull the trigger on the all amber X-VF, which TRS tells me should produce a brighter amber output with all emitters powered when in use. Will update when I get those in and mounted.
The Following User Says Thank You to maui86 For This Useful Post:
Kaotic Lazagna (12-26-2016)
Old 12-26-2016, 12:35 AM   #27
Kaotic Lazagna

Quote:
Originally Posted by maui86 View Post
Looking good
I decided to pull the trigger on the all amber X-VF, which TRS tells me should produce a brighter amber output with all emitters powered when in use. Will update when I get those in and mounted.
Sweet. If I ever upgrade, I'll upgrade to the VLED Triton V3's.

I don't think my Yaris hatch has any bulbs I can use switchbacks on.
Old 12-27-2016, 01:44 AM   #28
Kaotic Lazagna

Night shot of both sides installed.

Parking light mode is just the right amount of lumens (they light up a wall a lane or two away from you). However, the turn signals at night can be improved on. I couldn't even see them on the ground. I'm pretty sure I saw the OEM bulbs flashing on the ground.
maui86 (12-27-2016)

Tags
7443, led, morimoto, switchback, turn signal