follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe


User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-05-2012, 10:20 PM   #1
Deslock
Senior Member
 
Deslock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Drives: 2013 DZE/01 (sold for MX5 ND1)
Location: western MA
Posts: 871
Thanks: 265
Thanked 269 Times in 133 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Another BRZ Purchased

Intro
I just bought a WRB BRZ Limited 6MT (only accessory: rear bumper applique). I pick it up on Thursday morning.
Details
It's been a long time coming. I've followed development of this car since 2009 (just before they showed the concept) and I've been on this site from the beginning (member #22). I put down my refundable deposit for a BRZ last September and the dealership placed the order on Mar 1 at 9:00 AM, but I ended up in the 2nd allocation (there's a certain randomness to it, plus my dealer is one of the smaller ones).

Late this afternoon, I got the call that my car was being unloaded from the truck. Two hours later, I was at the dealership for the test drive (mostly a formality since I drove an FRS last week).

The car still had all the wrapping on it; they hadn't even driven it to the gas station yet, so we did that on my test drive. I myself pulled the wrap off one of the wheels (we left everything on the car for the drive), and I also pumped 93 into it at the station.

On a side note, because I put the deposit down so early, I actually paid a lower dealer conveyance fee (they raised it since last September, but my bill of sale has the old amount, which was honored). The difference was quadruple the interest I lost from handing over $500 for almost 9 months
FRS vs BRZ Limited Test Drives
  • WRB = awesome on the BRZ.
  • The interior of the BRZ Limited is *significantly* nicer quality.
  • I personally prefer the BRZ's plastic "aluminum-esque" to the FRS' plastic "carbon fiber-esque" trim.
  • I really like the operation of the push start and keyless entry.
  • The clutch in the BRZ had a decent amount of resistance (not as much as most cars, but a lot more than the FRS I drove). Not sure why there's a variance, but the FRS felt too limp while the BRZ was fine. This was an unexpected bonus.
Plans
  • Debadge "Subaru" and "BRZ" from the trunk
  • Subwoofer (either OEM when they become available in a few months, or aftermarket if something else better comes along by then)
  • Cargo area carpet cover
  • Bike rack (either roof or class 1 trailer hitch)
Thank Yous
I want to thank the site admin, mods, and the community here at ft86club for maintaining this site and posting so much valuable information. It's been a tremendous resource while researching the car.

Also, if anyone in western MA is considering a BRZ, I recommend checking out Steve Lewis in Hadley, MA. My salesman (David Hanks) emailed me regularly to let me know the status of the order, and has been pleasant to deal with.

Now bring on the cruises!
Deslock is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Deslock For This Useful Post:
8987846 (06-06-2012), Dimman (06-08-2012), dookie11 (06-06-2012), Fly Guy (06-08-2012), KevinDuMa (06-06-2012), Lighting Red (06-05-2012), Spaceywilly (06-07-2012), Tbxgz (06-08-2012), Zaku (06-05-2012)
Old 06-05-2012, 10:23 PM   #2
King Tut
NASA SpecE30 Racer
 
King Tut's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Drives: 2006 Honda S2000
Location: Gulf Breeze, FL
Posts: 7,279
Thanks: 607
Thanked 5,759 Times in 3,055 Posts
Mentioned: 274 Post(s)
Tagged: 10 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to King Tut
Congrats. Can't wait to get mine with rear diffuser and Homelink mirror.
__________________
King Tut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 10:25 PM   #3
ngabdala
Vortech Supercharged
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Drives: WRB BRZ 6MT LTD
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 1,447
Thanks: 1,897
Thanked 467 Times in 283 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Nice. Hope you bought it from Todd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deslock View Post
Intro
I just bought a WRB BRZ Limited 6MT (only accessory: rear bumper applique). I pick it up on Thursday morning.
Details
It's been a long time coming. I've followed development of this car since 2009 (just before they showed the concept) and I've been on this site from the beginning (member #22). I put down my refundable deposit for a BRZ last September and the dealership placed the order on Mar 1 at 9:00 AM, but I ended up in the 2nd allocation (there's a certain randomness to it, plus my dealer is one of the smaller ones).

Late this afternoon, I got the call that my car was being unloaded from the truck. Two hours later, I was at the dealership for the test drive (mostly a formality since I drove an FRS last week).

The car still had all the wrapping on it; they hadn't even driven it to the gas station yet, so we did that on my test drive. I myself pulled the wrap off one of the wheels (we left everything on the car for the drive), and I also pumped 93 into it at the station.

On a side note, because I put the deposit down so early, I actually paid a lower dealer conveyance fee (they raised it since last September, but my bill of sale has the old amount, which was honored). The difference was quadruple the interest I lost from handing over $500 for almost 9 months
FRS vs BRZ Limited Test Drives
  • WRB = awesome on the BRZ.
  • The interior of the BRZ Limited is *significantly* nicer quality.
  • I personally prefer the BRZ's plastic "aluminum-esque" to the FRS' plastic "carbon fiber-esque" trim.
  • I really like the operation of the push start and keyless entry.
  • The clutch in the BRZ had a decent amount of resistance (not as much as most cars, but a lot more than the FRS I drove). Not sure why there's a variance, but the FRS felt too limp while the BRZ was fine. This was an unexpected bonus.
Plans
  • Debadge "Subaru" and "BRZ" from the trunk
  • Subwoofer (either OEM when they become available in a few months, or aftermarket if something else better comes along by then)
  • Cargo area carpet cover
  • Bike rack (either roof or class 1 trailer hitch)
Thank Yous
I want to thank the site admin, mods, and the community here at ft86club for maintaining this site and posting so much valuable information. It's been a tremendous resource while researching the car.

Also, if anyone in western MA is considering a BRZ, I recommend checking out Steve Lewis in Hadley, MA. My salesman (David Hanks) emailed me regularly to let me know the status of the order, and has been pleasant to deal with.

Now bring on the cruises!
__________________
Powered by Vortech, ECS Tuning, and JDL Auto Design
ngabdala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 11:27 PM   #4
KilldaWabbit
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Drives: '07 VW Rabbit
Location: Reston, VA
Posts: 5
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Really curious to know what you work out for the bike rack. This is a big must have item if I'm going to get this car.
KilldaWabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 11:37 PM   #5
PERRIN_ADAM
Member
 
PERRIN_ADAM's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Drives: 2013 BR-Z
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 24
Thanks: 56
Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Congrats on the new car! Great color too! Nice thoughts on the cars too!
PERRIN_ADAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 10:57 AM   #6
sure74
Senior Member
 
sure74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Drives: 2016 Toyota 4Runner Trail Premium
Location: NY
Posts: 189
Thanks: 65
Thanked 160 Times in 41 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Congrats!

I'm in for a hitch mount bike rack also, have you heard any info on the development of a class 1 hitch for this car?
sure74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 11:48 AM   #7
ichitaka05
Site Moderator
 
ichitaka05's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Drives: ichi 86 Project
Location: Middle of No where
Posts: 20,976
Thanks: 7,673
Thanked 19,101 Times in 8,333 Posts
Mentioned: 679 Post(s)
Tagged: 27 Thread(s)
Congrats!
__________________
ichitaka05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 08:17 PM   #8
Deslock
Senior Member
 
Deslock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Drives: 2013 DZE/01 (sold for MX5 ND1)
Location: western MA
Posts: 871
Thanks: 265
Thanked 269 Times in 133 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I picked up the car this morning. Wow, I forgot what it's like to drive a car that just about everyone turns to look at... I prefer a sleeper and usually don't care for the attention, but I have to admit I enjoyed it a bit





__________________
Deslock is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Deslock For This Useful Post:
Spaceywilly (06-07-2012)
Old 06-08-2012, 09:56 AM   #9
sure74
Senior Member
 
sure74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Drives: 2016 Toyota 4Runner Trail Premium
Location: NY
Posts: 189
Thanks: 65
Thanked 160 Times in 41 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
^^ Yeah, same here. People asking all sorts of questions and giving as they drive by.

It's gotta be the WRB
sure74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 11:19 AM   #10
Pake1
Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Drives: SWP Premium BRZ
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 82
Thanks: 20
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
To the OP, you mentioned the clutch had more resistance than the FRS? How much more so?


I was definitely leaning towards getting a BRZ but this factor worries me as I will be driving my manual car in traffic daily and one of the things I praised with the FRS was the light clutch.
Pake1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 11:33 AM   #11
DantKR
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Drives: Subaru BRZ LT
Location: NC
Posts: 759
Thanks: 7
Thanked 124 Times in 71 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
It doesn't feel like there is much resistance at all to me. And it snaps into gear and engages quickly.
DantKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 03:25 PM   #12
Partial Stall
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Drives: '13 WRB BRZ
Location: Maine
Posts: 101
Thanks: 19
Thanked 15 Times in 11 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I want the FT-86 vanity plate for maine. I wonder how much it will set me back
Partial Stall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 10:26 PM   #13
Deslock
Senior Member
 
Deslock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Drives: 2013 DZE/01 (sold for MX5 ND1)
Location: western MA
Posts: 871
Thanks: 265
Thanked 269 Times in 133 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KilldaWabbit View Post
Really curious to know what you work out for the bike rack. This is a big must have item if I'm going to get this car.
I'll post when I find something (I'm not expecting a solution until next year).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pake1 View Post
To the OP, you mentioned the clutch had more resistance than the FRS? How much more so?


I was definitely leaning towards getting a BRZ but this factor worries me as I will be driving my manual car in traffic daily and one of the things I praised with the FRS was the light clutch.
To clarify, the BRZ clutch is still very light. When I wrote "decent amount of resistance", I only meant it has more than the FRS, which felt almost limp.
__________________
Deslock is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Just purchased BRZ & the upgrade planning begins... Mtechnik BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics 22 06-13-2012 01:08 PM
FR-S Purchased! Now Dealer Extra options...worth it? FutureFT86 CANADA 10 05-22-2012 07:02 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:09 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2024 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.