follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > AUSTRALIA

AUSTRALIA Australia and New Zealand

User Tag List

Old 02-28-2022, 06:25 PM   #1
Torn86

Drives: 2014 Toyota 86 GT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Exhaust options

Hi all, new here. I'm wondering what the best options for exhausts are in this wonderfully undersupplied country. I'm after a more throaty, less tinny raspy sound and don't have a huge budget. Also want to even out the torque curve a bit. And want it to be fully legal. Cheers
Torn86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2022, 04:59 AM   #2
Steve Bodalenko

Drives: 2013 Harrop Toyota 86
The SME cat back or header back is a good option. Aussie made, excellent sound and excellent quality. Just take a while and some effort to get.
Steve Bodalenko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 04:58 PM   #3
a.beck
Doing it wrong.

Drives: BRZ
Invidia seems to be the most common high quality option here, from what I've seen. They're well made and bolt straight on usually. More expensive and not exactly lightweight unless you get the titanium ones, which are crazy expensive.

There's also the option of having a good exhaust shop fab something up, but you'd have to really know the shop I reckon. I wouldn't trust Midas or whatever to do what you're looking for.

If you're just getting a catback then pretty much anything is legal and most of them sound pretty good. There are a few decent youtube videos comparing the different options, but bear in mind it's almost impossible to tell how loud they are unless you hear them in person. If you have aftermarket headers and/or a front pipe with high flow cat, some options will be very loud. Like "can't properly hear the radio this is obnoxious" loud.
a.beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 10:27 PM   #4
Enigmeerkat
Enigmeerkat

Drives: 2015 Toyota 86 GTS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I have PSR UEL headers (helps with torque dip) and Invidia R400. It's quite a loud setup, but not obnoxiously so. Definitely less tinny, more boxer-ey type of sound. If you want a little quieter, Q300 or N2 seem to get a fairly good review. All up was around $2,800 installed.
- PSR UEL Header, Invidia R400 Catback
- Whiteline Swaybars, 18" ROH Blue Evo R
Enigmeerkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2022, 07:14 PM   #5
a.beck
Doing it wrong.

Drives: BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigmeerkat View Post
I have PSR UEL headers (helps with torque dip) and Invidia R400. It's quite a loud setup, but not obnoxiously so. Definitely less tinny, more boxer-ey type of sound. If you want a little quieter, Q300 or N2 seem to get a fairly good review. All up was around $2,800 installed.
This is a good example of how everyone has different ideas about what's too loud. I have the same headers and put an R400 on a few weeks ago, which I couldn't get off there soon enough. It was embarrassingly loud. I don't know how anyone lives with their car making that kind of racket.

Get off my lawn, etc.

a.beck is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
exhaust