follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 01-02-2014, 06:38 PM   #29
dave77
Big Member

Drives: 2014 FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
LOL. If I got an auto it would be a Merk C63.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramosryan View Post
If I was to buy a automatic I would of bought a Buick Regal GS Turbo. With the lack of power in the FRS I couldn't imagine driving a auto and resale value will suck cause most buy the car for the fun style of driving and banging the gears. But its whatever you prefer, your making the payment.
dave77 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dave77 For This Useful Post:
fr3nch13 (01-04-2014)
Old 01-02-2014, 06:43 PM   #30
Ymerej

Drives: Whiteout FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
very immature.
Ymerej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 06:44 PM   #31
Ymerej

Drives: Whiteout FR-S
I feel you! this blizzard in ny is terrible
Ymerej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 06:48 PM   #32
DMDominator

Drives: Genesis 3.8 Track, Firestorm FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ymerej View Post
Hey guy's im new to the forum and just wanted to know if anyone else had an automatic and regret getting it? my last car was manual but I decided to go with automatic due to my daily commute to nyc. Just annoying that all my friends laugh at me for going with the automatic. First impressions I get on the outside "nice car" than when people see the inside "oh automatic...gay." its really annoying. maybe im just a sensitive guy haha.
I drove manual for 15 years. I regretted buying auto about a month after purchase and was a little pissed at myself for a couple months. Then I really thought about it and it's no big deal since the car is no straight line racer anyway.

You can still drift it around and it's really fun with just a little snow on the ground. In clear conditions you can take a cloverleaf going 70mph and still not have traction control kick in, which I have never seen another consumer car capable of. The paddle shifters are really fun when going through roundabouts or cruising on the interstate.

I'd have to say the biggest things that make me grateful I got auto were that I am a Taekwondo instructor and my legs are tired at the end of the day and getting stuck in rush hour isn't so bad when you're not on and off the clutch a thousand times.

Don't let the Fast and Furious crowd get to you. The 86 is a great car in either form and this is a pretty advanced auto transmission and no four speed piece of archaic trash.
DMDominator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DMDominator For This Useful Post:
amram (01-07-2014), NyC Zn6 (01-02-2014)
Old 01-02-2014, 06:49 PM   #33
NyC Zn6

Drives: 10 Series #974 6m/t
Thanked 1,141 Times in 669 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave77 View Post
Haha. But tbh, if you're gonna get an car with MT then this would prob be one of those cars.

Can always trade it in for a manual when nex-gen comes out. But enjoy the convenience of the auto for now.

Maybe there's someone out there who'd want to trade their manual for your AT anyway...
I completely agree with you. .op get the transmission that YOU are comfortable driving...maybe test drive a manual and see how you like it.
NyC Zn6 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NyC Zn6 For This Useful Post:
dave77 (01-02-2014)
Old 01-02-2014, 06:55 PM   #34
dave77
Big Member

Drives: 2014 FR-S
Fast and furious crowd eh? Lol. I understand what you're saying. TBH tho, it's the turns that make the MT most fun, doing heel-toe and revmatching. If you're not into that stuff, then auto prob better.

But AT is slower than MT anyway by just a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMDominator View Post
I drove manual for 15 years. I regretted buying auto about a month after purchase and was a little pissed at myself for a couple months. Then I really thought about it and it's no big deal since the car is no straight line racer anyway.

You can still drift it around and it's really fun with just a little snow on the ground. In clear conditions you can take a cloverleaf going 70mph and still not have traction control kick in, which I have never seen another consumer car capable of. The paddle shifters are really fun when going through roundabouts or cruising on the interstate.

I'd have to say the biggest things that make me grateful I got auto were that I am a Taekwondo instructor and my legs are tired at the end of the day and getting stuck in rush hour isn't so bad when you're not on and off the clutch a thousand times.

Don't let the Fast and Furious crowd get to you. The 86 is a great car in either form and this is a pretty advanced auto transmission and no four speed piece of archaic trash.
dave77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 07:00 PM   #35
Rio

Drives: 2014 Scion FR-S ハチ
Mentioned: 131 Post(s)
ProStock NHRA?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramosryan View Post
The automatics you named are big dollar. Try replacing one or rebuilding it. When Prostock NHRA go automatic let me know. LMAO
Really? That's what you come up with? Didn't Ford pull out of NHRA last year? Something about ratings, and not being a good business investment for them? LMAO! Ford happens to also be investing in DCT technology with the Focus. Yes, Focus!
Old 01-02-2014, 07:09 PM   #36
m.wood0213
Driving Enthusiast

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
I had small regrets when I bought my a/t but then I realized; better mpg, easier for dd, no burnt clutch, sequential for M when I want it, paddles for the twisties, and a Lexus Transmission thats been proven quality. Only wish it came w/ launch control so I could launch.
“This isn’t a supercar, it’s a sports car. It sacrifices rear seats yes but it just feels alive. Pure, direct, immediate. The other two are going to get all the admiring looks yes, that’s my point. I’m not driving around in this for other people’s benefit. I’m driving around in this BECAUSE I LOVE DRIVING IT. END!”
-Richard Hammond, Top Gear, USA Supercar Road Trip, 2011 Porsche GT3 RS.
My BRZ
m.wood0213 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to m.wood0213 For This Useful Post:
amram (01-07-2014), enwave (01-03-2014), Rio (01-02-2014)
Old 01-02-2014, 07:19 PM   #37
schmearcampain

Drives: 2014 Argento FRS 6MT
IIRC, the better MPG for the A/T version is basically due to the assumptions of the manufacturers that M/T drivers will drive the car more aggressively.

I mean, I've got the M/T and am averaging 31-33 MPG when I'm driving normally and shifting sub 4kRPM.

On a side note, I love all the hassle of the M/T. Even in traffic. It's fun rev matching, heel-toeing, and using all 4 limbs to drive. It's a game. I have a Infiniti G37S now and had an IS350 in A/T and even though they have paddles, it's not the same. My mind drifts and I end up just driving it like a non-paddled A/T. Gas/Brake...

Plus, the M/T keeps my wife from ever driving the car
schmearcampain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 07:25 PM   #38
Touge_ninja
Sending rods to their doo

Drives: 700HP STi
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Love my AT, even more so when i got Turbo. only gripe is that 3rd and 4th gear seem a BIT longer than the MT........and by bit i mean a MILE!!
Touge_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 07:34 PM   #39
mit_peid
Boosted Noob

Drives: '13 FRS MT KW SC, '05 4Runner 4WD
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
This MT vs AT debate seems to get rekindled every-so-often in these forums and within other sport car forums. On the twins, there is obviously no clear winner since both are so good at what they do. The MT is engaging, precise, a little bit notchy (esp when cold), and really only 2nd to maybe a couple MTs out there (S2000 comes to mind). The AT actually shifts faster and smoother than I can possibly shift. In full manual mode, the shifts are quick and somewhat abrupt. In sport mode, the computer does a great job at picking the right gear to be in. I was pretty much set on getting a AT as well (for all the reasons expressed by others), but after driving the MT I couldn't get over how much fun it was to roll my own gears again (it had been ~7 years since my last MT in a Civic). Along with a weight savings of ~44 lbs and it being $1100 cheaper, I thought it was a no-brainer for me personally to wait a little longer to get my MT (there were ATs readily available when I wanted to buy). I wanted a fun toy and a MT just added to that aspect of the car. Although the AT in the twins is great, generally speaking, lightweight low-powered cars are best mated with a MT. Also, I couldn't let my friends continue to tease me about considering a AT. :P
Old 01-02-2014, 07:57 PM   #40
SoCal909

Drives: 2014 WRB BRZ 6MT
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
pfft yeah dude automatic is so gay like bro you're not even cool enough to drive stick bro

SoCal909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 08:06 PM   #41
serith

Drives: 2009 Scion tC RS 5.0
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atticus808 View Post
there will always be people like that. they're just jealous of your car, and they think "if i say manual is cool, then others will think i'm cool"

fact is there will not be anymore manual cars soon
Wrong. In other parts of the world, automatics are as rare as manuals are here in the states.
09 RS 5.0 -- #862 of 2000 -- 5spd
serith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 08:18 PM   #42
chrisl

Drives: 2006 Cayman S, 2007 Outback 2.5i
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmearcampain View Post
IIRC, the better MPG for the A/T version is basically due to the assumptions of the manufacturers that M/T drivers will drive the car more aggressively.

I mean, I've got the M/T and am averaging 31-33 MPG when I'm driving normally and shifting sub 4kRPM.
It's also the taller gear ratios - the auto cruises at a significantly lower RPM
chrisl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chrisl For This Useful Post:
enwave (01-03-2014)

Tags
automatic frs new, thirty minutes or less