follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine Swaps

Engine Swaps Discussion of engine swaps.

User Tag List

Old 06-18-2020, 01:33 AM   #15
DeathToocher

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westen86 View Post
Im no LS expert, Im just dropping my humble opinion in. Im a 1UZ kinda guy.

My main obstacle for this swap is fitment, I know it can be done but I don’t have much knowledge on fabricating engine mounts. I know this is a pretty basic thing to get over but it’s still my greatest obstacle, wiring I find to be quite easy and I’ve already looked into this. Custom driveshaft I’ve had worked out already, and there’s conversion plates for the t56 transmission to bolt onto the 1UZ, not to mention a whole slew of other transmissions that would fit this swap. If you know of any mounts that can be ordered or just blueprints for mounts, I could pull the trigger on the 1UZ right now....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DeathToocher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 10:23 AM   #16
Westen86
Purist

Drives: 2013 FRS - Hot Lava
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
High Performance Academy on YT has covered a high revving 1UZ 86. Start here.

RaceComp SS-1, Complete SuperPro bushings, TR Motorsport FF10 17x9 +45, GruppeS UEL, HKS Hi-Power V2, OFT(93/E85)
Westen86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 10:42 AM   #17
DeathToocher

Quote:
High Performance Academy on YT has covered a high revving 1UZ 86. Start here.

Thanks for the link but I’ve already picked HPA’s resources on this car clean, I reached out to them and they explained again that they really had no involvement with the car prior to the wiring and tuning stage of the build. I know it’s honestly a pretty trivial thing for a swap but I really just want a set of engine mounts that I can buy so I don’t need to fabricate them. The guy who actually built HPA’s car is on this forum and has a thread on the build, while it is helpful, he doesn’t have much on the engine and tranny mounts included in his documentation. I’ve tried reaching out to him but since he’s sold his car to HPA he’s gone MIA on the forums. I’ve looked pretty hard, but do you know of any mounts I could order for the swap? Do you know any users on this forum that would be good to discuss this swap with?

Old 06-18-2020, 11:39 AM   #18
Westen86
Purist

Drives: 2013 FRS - Hot Lava
Garage
All I keep seeing is Surfab custom. I think if you want plug and play, stick with Chevy. The 1uz is too uncommon to not have a bit of fab work.

RaceComp SS-1, Complete SuperPro bushings, TR Motorsport FF10 17x9 +45, GruppeS UEL, HKS Hi-Power V2, OFT(93/E85)
Westen86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 12:25 PM   #19
DeathToocher

Quote:
All I keep seeing is Surfab custom. I think if you want plug and play, stick with Chevy. The 1uz is too uncommon to not have a bit of fab work.

Yeah you’re probably right, a guy can dream tho

Old 06-18-2020, 09:41 PM   #20
sato

Drives: Dodge Patitas
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
I thought HPA mentioned that V8 blew in a more recent video.
sato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 09:56 PM   #21
DeathToocher

Quote:
Originally Posted by sato View Post

They were running a VVTI model engine, the best one to go with is the non VVTI. The non VVTI has a slimmer power band stock but it’s been overbuilt like crazy, like some of the thickest stock rods I’ve ever seen.

Old 06-18-2020, 09:57 PM   #22
DeathToocher

Quote:
Originally Posted by sato View Post

They were also endurance racing and hanging around 8k rpms, that’s gonna be rough on any engine haha

Old 06-19-2020, 06:09 AM   #23
sato

Drives: Dodge Patitas
Garage
I'm waiting to see what they do next, though. I remember reading some other person's work on an intake manifold or supercharger for a SC-400 project, manual transmission and going for sky high revving machine, which I liked a lot. I think it was in a clublexus forum, and might be mixing several projects in mind since I can't find the link. Neveetheless, still rooting for them.
sato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 08:59 AM   #24
Lantanafrs2

Drives: 2013 frs red
Thanked 3,088 Times in 1,654 Posts
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Who cares if it revs. You're gonna be so much stronger than the fa20 even if you set the rev limit at 4 grand. Lol
Lantanafrs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lantanafrs2 For This Useful Post:
sato (06-19-2020), Summerwolf (06-19-2020)
Old 06-19-2020, 11:01 AM   #25
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,804 Times in 3,299 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathToocher View Post
My main obstacle for this swap is fitment, I know it can be done but I don’t have much knowledge on fabricating engine mounts. I know this is a pretty basic thing to get over but it’s still my greatest obstacle, wiring I find to be quite easy and I’ve already looked into this. Custom driveshaft I’ve had worked out already, and there’s conversion plates for the t56 transmission to bolt onto the 1UZ, not to mention a whole slew of other transmissions that would fit this swap. If you know of any mounts that can be ordered or just blueprints for mounts, I could pull the trigger on the 1UZ right now....

If you have and are competent with a welder then there are probably a million tutorials on how to make engine mounts from static/fixed mounts to polyurethane. You could make a universal mount with multiple holes to move the engine forward and back, or you could make a slot in the mount. Just like a car's wheel, where the holes don't hold the wheel onto the hub; the friction between the two surfaces locks them together. The engine mount hole is to align it into position and so the bolt can camp the two surfaces together, but it is the surface friction that maintains its position, so slots, loose holes, etc wouldn't be the end of the world if precision fitment is a concern.

These are some BRZ to LS mounts.

Here are some mounts for a 1UZ into a Tacoma. You could buy those and hack off the half that mounts to the Tacoma and make them fit the 86.

https://www.cxracing.com/ESK-1UZ-TACOMA9504

Old 06-19-2020, 11:09 AM   #26
DeathToocher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irace86.2.0 View Post
If you have and are competent with a welder then there are probably a million tutorials on how to make engine mounts from static/fixed mounts to polyurethane. You could make a universal mount with multiple holes to move the engine forward and back, or you could make a slot in the mount. Just like a car's wheel, where the holes don't hold the wheel onto the hub; the friction between the two surfaces locks them together. The engine mount hole is to align it into position and so the bolt can camp the two surfaces together, but it is the surface friction that maintains its position, so slots, loose holes, etc wouldn't be the end of the world if precision fitment is a concern.

These are some BRZ to LS mounts.

Here are some mounts for a 1UZ into a Tacoma. You could buy those and hack off the half that mounts to the Tacoma and make them fit the 86.

https://www.cxracing.com/ESK-1UZ-TACOMA9504

I like the way you think sir, I can weld but my skill level is sub par. But that’s why I have a little brother that’s a superb welder I guess haha.

The Following User Says Thank You to DeathToocher For This Useful Post:
Irace86.2.0 (06-19-2020)
Old 06-19-2020, 11:11 AM   #27
DeathToocher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lantanafrs2 View Post
Who cares if it revs. You're gonna be so much stronger than the fa20 even if you set the rev limit at 4 grand. Lol

High revs= more fun lol but yeah I get what you’re saying, the main goal of the high rpm limit is to widen my power band and yes I will sacrifices some peak power, but I’d rather my power come on early

Old 06-21-2020, 01:28 PM   #28
GrabTheWheel

Drives: 16' BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathToocher View Post
High revs= more fun lol but yeah I get what you’re saying, the main goal of the high rpm limit is to widen my power band and yes I will sacrifices some peak power, but I’d rather my power come on early

When your car pulls like a f*cking freight train from 2K-7K rpm, the redline becomes pretty freaking irrelevant.

Going from a 7400 rpm redline to 7K wasn’t that different and well worth the trade off for torque. I am glad I have a valvetrain built to handle more revs than 6500 though. Mine should be fine to spin to 7400 but not much point with the cam I’m running. I have the shift light set to 6850, shift at 7K and rev limiter set at 7300. I find this works out very nicely.

If you have a boosted FA20 making a bunch of power I’d get use to shifting at 7K anyway if you want your engine to last. Not sure it’s worth it to build a destroked LS revving to the moon. If that’s what you’re looking for I’d go K swap.

As far as a 1UZ swap unless you love doing fab work or just really need to stand out and be different I don’t see the point. Having one of probably only half a dozen completed LS swaps in the whole state of California already makes it feel pretty rare. Most 1UZ swaps you see were done in other parts of the world where LS stuff is harder to come by.

To me unless you are drag racing or on an unlimited budget no reason to go with any other engine aside from K swap or LS. I love that in 20 years I should still easily be able to source LS parts. There’s also plenty of crashed 86’s to get parts if need be. Aside from torque the massive availability of parts makes the LS a winner in my book.
Attached Images

GrabTheWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GrabTheWheel For This Useful Post:
DeathToocher (06-21-2020), ZDan (06-21-2020)