follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 02-27-2013, 12:22 PM   #29
Dustin
Twin Screw You

Drives: 2013 Supercharged Whiteout FR-S
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Never mind. Lets just let this thread die. It's direction is going way off from its original purpose. Maybe I should have worded it differently from the beginning but I tried to make it clear that I was looking for suggestions on options to make to solve the problem. Yes it says $4000 down payment in the paperwork. I made that clear when I said I'm not the one who typed it up saying a down payment was made when none was received. But pointing out what has already been done does not help in trying to solve a problem. It focuses on the problem and not a solution.

To those that tried to give advice, I thank you again. To everyone else trying to speak just to serve some sense of self gratification, whatever gets your jollies off. Cheers :happy0180:
Dustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 12:27 PM   #30
eXtreme Burrito!

Drives: Hot Lava Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
ITT: Posting on a message board about your car paperwork is actively trying to solve the problem.

Have you called the dealer yet and explained this to them? Or were you posting this hoping we would tell you "Lol you got away with it! Enjoy it!"

You volunteered that you had $4000 dollars you *could* spend. To a car salesman, this means that he is going to assume and/or at least make some bullshit up to tell you "Hey we can't do this deal without that money."

Not only that, but dealerships take post-dated checks for cars and downpayments ALL THE TIME. They *want* to sell you a car, regardless of whether or not that means you bring them a check a week later for a downpayment or not.
eXtreme Burrito! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 12:59 PM   #31
Beyer Subaru

Drives: 2013 BRZ SWP 6AT Ltd
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin View Post
Beyer Subaru - I'm not saying I don't owe the money. That's all fine and dandy with me. But I'm not the one who typed up the paper saying that I had received a $4000 down payment when I didn't have money in hand and then gave away the car without making sure money was in hand. Again opinions will vary but in my opinion they dropped the ball.

But thank you for giving your opinion without sounding like a douche. I don't mind criticism but people like the ass hat above who's only purpose is to have shit come out of their mouth cause they like the taste is pointless and doesn't contribute to anything at all.
Thanks for seeing my stance and I understand yours.

Being in the Car Sales Business I am already behind the eight ball of about 100 years of stigma. It doesn't matter how good, fair and honest I am, I will always be looked at as the bad guy.

So when I see "my dealer did X" it raises my hackles.

I would agree with your thread title if the paperwork didn't include the 4k down. Then they would have made a mistake and have to correct it.

If the paperwork shows a 4k down payment then I would say that the fault/blame should be shared equally between all parties involved in the transaction and should work together to correct it.

To solve the problem:
See if they can FedEx the new paperwork for you to sign.
Beyer Subaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 01:54 PM   #32
shawnperolis

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S MT "Panda"
So when I got my car I had to sign something that proved I gave them my downpayment and the finance person had to sign it as well, acknowledging that they had received it. Then they printed off my receipt for my personal records.

Did they do anything like that with you? Because if they signed something that said you gave them the down payment and you really didn't, seems like you may have won out.

But you still haven't said whether or not your original paperwork included the $4,000 or not. For all we know it could just be a communication error with the dealer and they think you owe them 4k.
shawnperolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 05:10 PM   #33
FR-S/GT-86

Drives: 68MGBGT/93MiataLE/11Legacy
Quote:
Long story short, what would you do? Who do you think is at fault?
Dustin, sorry to hear about the financial glitch. I've read some of the snarky responses, and your retorts as well. Frankly, I don't think you were really looking for advice, just wanting to vent about the fact that you spent the money after having stated that it was available as a downpayment.

The most important things about your post are the title line and the quote above. Regardless of whether you have or had the money, the dealership is not at fault. You signed a contract that showed the $4000 down payment. Yes, they probably should have had better controls in place to prevent missing the $4000 on the contract, but (not to be a jerk) you did in fact sign the contract. The dealership will likely just replace the existing contract with another that takes the $4000 out, assuming that you can afford the payments, and a bank agrees to issue financing with the updated numbers. If you are not approved, they do have the right to demand the car back. When I bought my FR-S, the dealership transposed two numbers on the contract (it was the listed as $xx,xxx.43 rather than $xx,xxx.34. No big whoop, but they had to redo the paperwork because the contract and the rest of the paperwork didn't match.

I would look at this as a very robust learning experience that you will unlikely forget next time you buy a car, house, or sign some other contract. Next time you'll have all of your bases covered and feel far better about it afterwords.

Last edited by FR-S/GT-86; 02-27-2013 at 05:11 PM. Reason: spelling
FR-S/GT-86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FR-S/GT-86 For This Useful Post:
asia_minor (02-28-2013)
Old 02-27-2013, 05:52 PM   #34
jmaryt
Banned

Drives: 2012 honda civic ex
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foobar View Post
Dustin - I suspect the 4K is in your financing paperwork and it was an honest mistake of them not getting the check from you at time of signing (poor process control on their part, but it happens, especially if it was after closing late at night and the cashier was already done for the day).

Since you no longer have the 4K on hand, I would explain to them that you no longer have it since you had assumed it was all done with 500 down, and that you'd like to re-do the financing such that the additional 4K is added in to the amount being financed. This will, of course, raise your payments, but there's not much you can do about that at this point unless you suddenly come up with the 4K.

Word of advice for future financial transactions: never offer up a position with the caveat of "I can if I have to, but I'd rather not." Either you will or you won't, because if you say you can, you can bet your ass they'll take it as an affirmative.
never show money to a dealer,if you are unsure you want to pay it! having cash is almost counter productive,because the dealer actually gets a "kickback" from the financial institution,so it's in their interests to ''finance"
the vehicle.
jmaryt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:51 PM   #35
fledonfoot

Drives: Asphalt FR-S
Garage
Quote:
Yes it says $4000 down payment in the paperwork.
I don't think there's a way to say this without me sounding like an ass, and it's not intended to be that way. Apologies in advance if it does.

If that's what's on the paperwork, and your signature is on the bottom along with the finance manager's, you're responsible for the money in some way, shape or form.

Given that they already thought you were putting $4,000 down, I would have been hyper aware that it was corrected and double checked the numbers. Lots of these horror stories come from people blindly signing what's in front of them.

It blows my mind sometimes when I see people just sign away to whatever gets put down in front of them. Hell, just last week I dealt with someone who thought they'd bought a "new" Camry with 61 miles on it, and was in service for an oil leak. When I called them to tell them the repair was covered under their certified used car warranty, they were confused (although happy about the free repair). When they brought all their paperwork in, right at the top of the finance contract it quite clearly said "used" typed out in the contract type fields and referenced that several times. The car was a dealership buy back and the car had already been titled before this customer purchased the vehicle. They assumed a 61 mile car couldn't be a used car.

My recommendation is to get back in touch with the dealer and see if they can resubmit the contract to the bank with the added principal (adding $3500 if I'm following correctly), or be open to some form of payment plan for the down payment.
fledonfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 12:16 AM   #36
asia_minor
Superleggera

Drives: 2016 Mazda MX-5
all due respect.

1. the $4,000 is PRINTED on the form
2. you SIGNED the form
3. YOU'RE responsible.

Call the dealership shady/prick/scam all you want, but the John Hancock does not lie. I feel bad for your situation though. I pray your dealership will be nice enough to cut you some slack and rework this whole mess (i.e. you should go talk to them, not us).
asia_minor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to asia_minor For This Useful Post:
D1cker (02-28-2013)
Old 02-28-2013, 02:52 AM   #37
Porsche

Drives: 2013 BRZ Ltd. MT
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
I just purchased my FRS last Monday. ... Finance guy comes out and gets me, I sign papers, he hands me the keys and says enjoy your new car. Nothing was brought up about the $4000 again.
When did you first become aware of the discrepancy in your contract?

Surely, it must have been long before EIGHT DAYS had passed, and the dealership finally called you.

You say you failed to read the contract when you signed it. So, when DID you read it?

But even before you read the contract, were you not surprised to learn that your monthly payment was around $100/mo. less than you had anticipated, given that you knew you had not paid an additional down payment of $4000?

Surely, you’d finally read over the details of this expensive purchase, if only to confirm that you had been properly credited for your trade-in, credited for your $500 deposit, and to learn when your monthly payment is due, and how much is due.

If you knew that the contract credited you for a $4000 down payment that you had NOT made, then why did you not call the dealership yourself to inform them of the discrepancy? Why did you wait eight days for them to call you?

Under the circumstances, I'd be surprised if the dealership is willing to accommodate you in any way. They are almost certain to think that you thought you'd successfully cheated them, waiting until they discovered their error, and hoping that they never did.

It is impossible to believe that a customer failed to read his contract terms for EIGHT DAYS following this expensive purchase. I'm sorry but your stance of injured innocence is neither plausible nor convincing, regardless of the fact that BOTH you and the dealer were at fault in this transaction.

The dealer appears to have suffered a misunderstanding compounded by carelessness. But, you... It's the eight days of silence from you that reflects badly on your character and motives. Whatever the truth may be, a reality check certainly does not reflect well upon you. Suspicions abound...

Maybe you have a plausible explanation for your conduct, one you have yet to reveal to us, or maybe the dealer will believe you never read your contract terms in those eight days following your purchase, and will cut you some slack. Who knows?
Porsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 06:48 AM   #38
fistpoint

Drives: Supercharged Golf Cart
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche View Post

It is impossible to believe that a customer failed to read his contract terms for EIGHT DAYS following this expensive purchase. I'm sorry but your stance of injured innocence is neither plausible nor convincing, regardless of the fact that BOTH you and the dealer were at fault in this transaction.
Trust me, it's VERY possible and extremely likely. This is the future of our country...and has been for quite some time now.
fistpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:18 AM   #39
whtchocla7e

Drives: 2013 FR-S Hot Lava
Quote:
Originally Posted by fledonfoot View Post
It blows my mind sometimes when I see people just sign away to whatever gets put down in front of them. Hell, just last week I dealt with someone who thought they'd bought a "new" Camry with 61 miles on it, and was in service for an oil leak. When I called them to tell them the repair was covered under their certified used car warranty, they were confused (although happy about the free repair).
Why would a car with 61 miles on the clock not have the original manufacturer warranty in the first place? Was it voided or not transferable?
Old 02-28-2013, 10:06 AM   #40
terrypm
First86 & burning gas!!

Drives: Asphalt 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtchocla7e View Post
Why would a car with 61 miles on the clock not have the original manufacturer warranty in the first place? Was it voided or not transferable?

Based on the posters location it was probably flooded/damaged during hurricane Sandy last fall. Insurance companies paid off a lot of cars from the NE and they were issued salvage titles. This voided the original factory new car warranty.
Old 02-28-2013, 12:38 PM   #41
fledonfoot

Drives: Asphalt FR-S
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrypm View Post
Based on the posters location it was probably flooded/damaged during hurricane Sandy last fall. Insurance companies paid off a lot of cars from the NE and they were issued salvage titles. This voided the original factory new car warranty.

Nope, the car was sold in late 2007. The loan on the vehicle ended up being declined to the owner from the bank so the dealership had to go and get the car back. By this time, the title had already been issued by Pennsylvania and it had to be sold as a used vehicle.

The repair was a leaky oil pan, and the vehicle had 76,xxx miles on it which puts it out of the factory 5/60 coverage and into the TCUV warranty coverage of 7/100.

Even if it was a salvage/junk title they can not qualify for the Toyota Certified Used Vehicle program.

Sorry to derail the thread with my anecdote.
fledonfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 05:34 PM   #42
eXtreme Burrito!

Drives: Hot Lava Scion FR-S
Garage
Where did 76k miles come in? Thought I read 61

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
eXtreme Burrito! is offline   Reply With Quote