follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 04-16-2019, 02:30 PM   #15
maslin
Benz Tech

Drives: 2017 BRZ Premium
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Have you moved it at all after the repair? Our VSS codes won't clear from ESP. Replace the part, still have a current fault As soon as it rolls and couple hundred feet the lights all go out, code is stored and can be cleared.

Other than short or open circuit there is no way for the module to monitor a speed sensor at a standstill. Until it rolls and starts reading that fault can remain current.
maslin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to maslin For This Useful Post:
Icecreamtruk (04-16-2019)
Old 04-16-2019, 02:37 PM   #16
maslin
Benz Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icecreamtruk View Post
Also, the reason I ask this is because elsewhere I read about this code, its always said that codes that turn your ABS light on do not clear with a normal scanner, seems to be the case for most other cars from a quick googling around. Also usually when I clear a code, even those that are still there, the code gets cleared, then it reappears again either after a few seconds, after a few miles of driving around or on next turn cycle. When I clear the codes for this one, it does not go away even for a second, light is solidly on, code still reading.
The code you can pull from an OBD II reader is a code in the engine module saying there is a code in the ABS module. You can not read the actual ABS fault with a normal generic scanner. Same with transmission, SCR and a handful of other modules.

With a more robust scanner you can read the actual ABS module and get the codes you actually need. That's why the engine code is so generic, it doesn't indicate any specific fault, just that there is a fault in the ABS system.

Oddly enough, there is usually an OBD II partition even in the engine module. You cna have a code on a real scanner and nothing on a generic scanner, or a CEL on, no codes at all on the $40k+ scanner, $20 walmart scanner pulls it right up.

Emissions is a funny game.
Old 04-16-2019, 02:37 PM   #17
Icecreamtruk

Drives: Track preped NA FRS
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by maslin View Post
Have you moved it at all after the repair? Our VSS codes won't clear from ESP. Replace the part, still have a current fault As soon as it rolls and couple hundred feet the lights all go out, code is stored and can be cleared.

Other than short or open circuit there is no way for the module to monitor a speed sensor at a standstill. Until it rolls and starts reading that fault can remain current.
Actually no, it hasnt rolled, its on jackstands at the moment, I dont have tires on my wheels yet, will have some next week. I will try doing some runs around the block I guess. I assume rolling on jack stands doenst count now does it (diff is open whe on the air, so only 1 wheel rolls actually).
Icecreamtruk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 02:39 PM   #18
maslin
Benz Tech

Quote:
Actually no, it hasnt rolled, its on jackstands at the moment, I dont have tires on my wheels yet, will have some next week. I will try doing some runs around the block I guess. I assume rolling on jack stands doenst count now does it (diff is open whe on the air, so only 1 wheel rolls actually).
Correct, all 4 wheels rolling along together.
Old 04-16-2019, 02:56 PM   #19
maslin
Benz Tech

This is one I had yesterday. ABS/ESP lamps on, no CEL. No limp mode.

Current event in the transmission module, which could set a check engine lamp but did not in this case. Often you will have a code in the engine module for implausible CAN message received as well. The actual fault codes are in the ESP module.

Without a real scanner you aren't getting this far. Some of our cars have 90+ control units. The vans are in the high 20s, low 30s.

On this one, I replaced the LF wheel speed sensor. All lights still on, current faults. Lights were gone before I left the parking lot, codes were then stored and could be cleared. 5 different codes for a bad sensor, 4 with the exact same title. Silly Germans.
Attached Images

Last edited by maslin; 04-16-2019 at 03:07 PM.
Old 04-16-2019, 03:28 PM   #20
Sportsguy83
I Love custom Turbo kits

Drives: Limited BRZ
Thanked 8,343 Times in 4,361 Posts
Mentioned: 441 Post(s)
Tagged: 12 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Also, the reason I ask this is because elsewhere I read about this code, its always said that codes that turn your ABS light on do not clear with a normal scanner, seems to be the case for most other cars from a quick googling around. Also usually when I clear a code, even those that are still there, the code gets cleared, then it reappears again either after a few seconds, after a few miles of driving around or on next turn cycle. When I clear the codes for this one, it does not go away even for a second, light is solidly on, code still reading.
It's possible its not going away even for a second, because the fault is still present.

When you say the light stays on you mean the CEL?

Also, this google search has a bunch of other threads on the forum and some of them mention the ring was misaligned or warped causing the VSS malfunction.

https://www.google.com/search?q=p050...hrome&ie=UTF-8
Sportsguy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sportsguy83 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2019, 03:38 PM   #21
bcj
Geo Tyrebighter Esq

Drives: '13 scion fr-s
Thanked 4,948 Times in 2,182 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
The orange cone sensor has reached 10 now.
That's the Thanks button just coming on.
The Following User Says Thank You to bcj For This Useful Post:
maslin (04-16-2019)
Old 04-16-2019, 04:59 PM   #22
Icecreamtruk

Thanks for all of the info guys, I have some more things to try before I throw the towel and just take it to the shop. @Sportsguy83 I think my code came on exactly because of the misalignment caused by the wheel hub moving about. I check the ring (you can actually see it with a flashlight thru the whole where the sensor is in), and rotating the whole thing around, there isnt a single scratch or change or anything that leads me to believe there is any damage. If there is damage, Im willing to bet its the cable, the connections or sensor. Will try some more things now that I have new ideas.

Thanks to everyone who chimed in, I really was out of ideas on this one.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Icecreamtruk For This Useful Post:
bcj (04-17-2019), maslin (04-16-2019), Sportsguy83 (04-16-2019)
Old 04-22-2019, 09:44 AM   #23
Icecreamtruk

Update for those insterested:

I took the car out around the block to see if the CEL would go away, it did not. So rolling on its own wheels didnt help. Either the problem is still there, or it needs to be cleared manually.

I took the car to get an alignment at a friends garage the day after. He had the scanner that can actually read what the problem was. It was indeed the corner where I had the wheel hub back off (rear left). The fault was marked as current, but he was able to clear it with the scanner, CEL went off with it too. I cannot really drive the car on the street for it to complete its "checklist" after your reset any codes, but at least while moving the car in and out of the garage and into the trailer the code did not come back.

I will buy a spare wheel speed sensor and just have it with me. If the codes comes back at the track at least I will know which wheel its in and I'll be able to swap the sensor on the spot. I wont be able to clear the code and I dont know if it will actually clear by itself if the problem isnt there, but he seems to agree with you that if the problem isnt there, the code should clear on its own by rolling. He was very surprised that resetting a "current" fault didnt bring it right back into limp mode with CEL on again, so a bit of a surprise there.