follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 09-21-2011, 02:44 PM   #29
Matador
hashiryu

Drives: Mk4 Supra
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceywilly View Post
Do you mean Subaru ECUs? They are the same between JDM and USDM AFAIK, there is only AVCS and non AVCS ECUs that you have to watch out for. You can get a JDM EJ207 and run it off a 2002 USDM WRX ECU, you just have to make your own AVCS wiring bundle and obviously a new ROM.
Doesn't really matter though. It's as simple as a few pinout diagrams and splicing some wires. But I t wouldn't really matter unless you were intent on putting JDM engines in USDM cars and vice versa, but with hat's out there for Subaru, why bother?

Quote:
Originally Posted by old greg View Post
Yep. OEMs never design their own ECUs, it's all outsourced to suppliers like Denso, Delphi, Bosch, Magneti Marelli, etc. Look at the labels on any ECU, there will be a logo for the vehicle manufacturer, and a logo for the ECU manufacturer.

To the best of my knowledge, Denso supplies ECUs for all of the turbo Subarus and some of the N/A ones as well. On top of that Denso is a part of the Toyota Group, so it seems like a pretty safe bet that they supply the majority of Toyota/Lexus ECUs as well (I don't have any first hand knowledge though).
Toyota has a VERY heavy hand in the design and especially software of their ECUs. Yes, Denso is primarily the supplier.
The 'FT' stands for 'forgot topic'.
Matador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 06:07 PM   #30
chulooz
Registered you sir

Drives: 99 impreza coupe
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Subaru JDM ECUs are programmed to burn JDM gasoline, its certainly not the same.
chulooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 06:59 AM   #31
old greg
Rocket Surgeon

Drives: PSM GGA OMG
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chulooz View Post
Subaru JDM ECUs are programmed to burn JDM gasoline, its certainly not the same.
Yes it is. JDM premium gas is 98 RON (Research Octane Number), USDM premium premium gas is 93 (R+M)/2 (The average of Research Octane Number and Motor Octane Number). Both are equally knock resistant.

91 doesn't count.
old greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 08:13 AM   #32
70NYD

Drives: RX8 S1
With respect to tuning, I remember that both the mk1 concept (with interior) and some of the mule spy pics showed USB ports in the centre console (abeit the mule pics aren't exactly clear or reliable) so what I'm getting at is that while one of the ports might be for the HU, the other might act like a connection to a laptop to tune? It's possible, why not
Old 09-22-2011, 10:07 AM   #33
Spaceywilly
ZC6A2B82KC7J

Drives: 2002 WRX
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
That has nothing to do with the ECU, it is just TUNED for 98RON in the JDM ROM. You can easily tune Subaru ECUs to run on anything you want. Physically, the ECUs are the same (with the exception of AVCS vs. non-AVCS), it is just the tune that is different.

Straights are for fast cars. Turns are for fast drivers.
Spaceywilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 02:00 PM   #34
chulooz
Registered you sir

Drives: 99 impreza coupe
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by old greg View Post
Yes it is. JDM premium gas is 98 RON (Research Octane Number), USDM premium premium gas is 93 (R+M)/2 (The average of Research Octane Number and Motor Octane Number). Both are equally knock resistant.

91 doesn't count.

We all know 91 is usually the highest common octane, and it doesnt work.

And yes by programmed I meant tuned.
chulooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 05:34 PM   #35
Allch Chcar

Drives: N/A
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:

We all know 91 is usually the highest common octane, and it doesnt work.

And yes by programmed I meant tuned.
If you run a custom tuned engine on lower octane than it was tuned on, then yes it won't work for long. Factory tune not as much. Many premium engines(including JDM) are designed to run safely on Regular 87, minus the loss in power and MPG of course .

And 93 octane (R+M/2) should be 98 RON, I am looking at a chart for 91 octane (R+M/2) and it is 96 RON.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonitti View Post
Daily Driver, occasional weekend drifter.
Allch Chcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 04:59 PM   #36
[es vi: eks]

Drives: Subaru Legacy
Here in NZ we use 91, 95, and 98 octanes.

Would using AV Gas cause any problems for D4-S?
That has been made availble for racing use again due to problems with supplys of other ethanol? based racing gas.
Old 09-25-2011, 05:18 PM   #37
serialk11r

Drives: '06 AM V8V Coupe
Thanked 1,074 Times in 759 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
AV gas is leaded, that would screw up your engine wouldn't it?
serialk11r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 09:25 PM   #38
TheBetterMethod

Drives: 1999 Toyota Solara/ 2012 FR-S?
Leded gas would definitely mess up any new engine. As well as contaminate the sensors in the exhaust stream and the catalytic converter(s).

Direct injection is tried and true technology. It has been used for decades on the worlds most reliable diesel engines. Those engines are some of the the easiest to make power on as well as being extremely efficient.

Think about that if you are worried about the reliability or performance of the direct injection system Toyota will be employing on the FT-86 platform.

I'm sure it will be a great system. And even if it has some draw backs for tuning, it will make up for them with efficiency and reliability.

This is the future, embrace it.

-TheBetterMethod
TheBetterMethod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 06:28 AM   #39
70NYD

Drives: RX8 S1
Did you seriously just compare a compression ignition engine to a spark ignition engine based on the fact that it is same fuel delivery method? On that note did you just compare diesel fuel to petrol fuel?
What the hell are you smoking, cus I want some?
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBetterMethod View Post
Leded gas would definitely mess up any new engine. As well as contaminate the sensors in the exhaust stream and the catalytic converter(s).

Direct injection is tried and true technology. It has been used for decades on the worlds most reliable diesel engines. Those engines are some of the the easiest to make power on as well as being extremely efficient.

Think about that if you are worried about the reliability or performance of the direct injection system Toyota will be employing on the FT-86 platform.

I'm sure it will be a great system. And even if it has some draw backs for tuning, it will make up for them with efficiency and reliability.

This is the future, embrace it.

-TheBetterMethod
Old 09-26-2011, 09:39 AM   #40
TheBetterMethod

Drives: 1999 Toyota Solara/ 2012 FR-S?
NO.

I am referring only to the similarities in the direct injection. I am more than aware of the differences in diesel and petrol. I wasn't comparing ignition methods in any way.

To clarify, DI is a tried and true technology. Adapting it to gasoline (petrol) injection is not new technology, and certainly not new to Toyota. It is reliable, and I think the aftermarket will catch up with it in due time...they always do.

And just for the record, I'm not smoking anything.
TheBetterMethod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 10:16 AM   #41
Marrk

Drives: Honda Fit
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBetterMethod View Post
NO.

I am referring only to the similarities in the direct injection. I am more than aware of the differences in diesel and petrol. I wasn't comparing ignition methods in any way.

To clarify, DI is a tried and true technology. Adapting it to gasoline (petrol) injection is not new technology, and certainly not new to Toyota. It is reliable, and I think the aftermarket will catch up with it in due time...they always do.

And just for the record, I'm not smoking anything.

So, you don't see a problem with the carbon build-up issue on the FT-86 design.

Good to know. Thanks.
Marrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 10:28 AM   #42
PAImportTuner
Turbo Mafia Presidente

Drives: U Mad?
The ECU will be easily flash-able. For you current and prior Subaru owners, you can probably use OpenECU/ECUFlash on launch, that is if they don't encrypt it but almost every DI car has a locked ECU soo..

D4-S and direct injection is a good and bad thing. Good is you can easily run E85, higher compression, and it's very responsive, better MPG with more power/tq. Bad thing is price for parts replacement and the biggie; carbon build up. Carbon build up is horrible on DI cars and using additives like Seafoam or ZMax do not work like it does on port injected vehicles.

The first thing to do is get a pcv/air-oil separator system(proper "catchcan", usually around $120+ for a functioning one. This will help with at least 95% of Carbon build up. Example http://www.mikenorrismotorsports.com...atch_Cans.html