follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List
go_a_way1

Old 09-08-2016, 10:45 AM   #10137
pancake

Drives: 2015 BRZ Limited MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urmyson View Post
I don't know, even if it came out to be 3k I would still be in because the install and removal is so easy. I've really been thinking about going SBD kit but it's a lot more work to install or remove. Really hoping there is a upgrade rather then an entire new kit though.
Yea, I understand that - I've looked into SBD install, and it looks like an 8 hour+ process; probably more for me because i've never done anything like that.

A 2 hour 'easy' process to install ESC is a big draw - i get that.

I'm excited for my name to hit the top - even if it is 5 years out...
pancake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 11:07 AM   #10138
j_Zer0

Drives: Asphalt FRS 2014
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
After more than a year of flawless ESC operation my car wouldn't start this morning. Typical dead battery experience. The batteries don't seem to be totally dead because accessories are getting power... Not quite enough juice to fire up maybe? I'm guessing I should just replace the PC680 starter battery? I wouldn't have expected battery issues after only 15 months.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
Old 09-12-2016, 11:39 AM   #10139
fenton

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 1,614 Times in 726 Posts
Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_Zer0 View Post
After more than a year of flawless ESC operation my car wouldn't start this morning. Typical dead battery experience. The batteries don't seem to be totally dead because accessories are getting power... Not quite enough juice to fire up maybe? I'm guessing I should just replace the PC680 starter battery? I wouldn't have expected battery issues after only 15 months.

The starter battery just isn't that strong. Any thing that is drawing power will kill the battery quite quickly, if you dont start your car every day or two then the smaller battery typically has trouble especially when it gets colder out.

I have had a dead battery 2 or three times this year and its always because i accidentally pop the truck some time during the evening. By morning it wont start simply because of the tiny light that is in the trunk.
fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 11:41 AM   #10140
j_Zer0

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenton View Post
The starter battery just isn't that strong. Any thing that is drawing power will kill the battery quite quickly, if you dont start your car every day or two then the smaller battery typically has trouble especially when it gets colder out.

I have had a dead battery 2 or three times this year and its always because i accidentally pop the truck some time during the evening. By morning it wont start simply because of the tiny light that is in the trunk.
Gotcha. Thanks Fenton. Do we have a current Battery Mart priority code? Looks like the one we used last year is expired.

Old 09-12-2016, 11:47 AM   #10141
donthaveoneyet

Drives: i don't own one yet, but i will...
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenton View Post

put an LED in the trunk, will draw a lot less power
donthaveoneyet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 12:25 PM   #10142
DAEMANO
Time Traveller

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS - Raven
Thanked 3,416 Times in 1,677 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Anecdotally, I've had to change my starter battery once at about 18 months from Powersonic PSH-12180 to Odyssey PC-680. As a precaution, I started carrying a portable jump starter (like this one, but any brand will do, the more mAH the better) a few years back. They're compact work exceedingly well and make sure you can get things going in a pinch.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B017CMMRAE?psc=1

DAEMANO is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DAEMANO For This Useful Post:
j_Zer0 (09-12-2016), l0aded (11-16-2016)
Old 09-12-2016, 01:14 PM   #10143
Sojhinn
Lightning McQueen Driver

Drives: Limited Red 6MT BRZ
Thanked 1,167 Times in 644 Posts
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quote:

Do you have a metal jacket on the pc 680?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Installed Mods:
Phantom Electric Super Charger | Open Flash Tune | Perrin OP/ HFC Front pipe | Invidia Q300 catback | ST Suspension | JDL Header | Flex Fuel
Sojhinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 01:49 PM   #10144
j_Zer0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojhinn View Post
Do you have a metal jacket on the pc 680?

Not that I'm aware of (although I'm not entirely sure what that means :o).

Old 09-12-2016, 02:01 PM   #10145
Sojhinn
Lightning McQueen Driver

Quote:
Not that I'm aware of (although I'm not entirely sure what that means :o).

When ordering the starter battery I recommend purchasing the pc-680mj. The difference between the pc680 and the pc680mj is literally a metal jacket around the battery.

The reason I recommend the metal jacket is that the over pipe is right below the starter battery. The pc 680s can be prone to heat issues. Anything that can help mitigate any heat issues is a smart move.

Installed Mods:
Phantom Electric Super Charger | Open Flash Tune | Perrin OP/ HFC Front pipe | Invidia Q300 catback | ST Suspension | JDL Header | Flex Fuel
Old 09-12-2016, 02:05 PM   #10146
j_Zer0

Quote:
When ordering the starter battery I recommend purchasing the pc-680mj. The difference between the pc680 and the pc680mj is literally a metal jacket around the battery.

The reason I recommend the metal jacket is that the over pipe is right below the starter battery. The pc 680s can be prone to heat issues. Anything that can help mitigate any heat issues is a smart move.

Makes sense. The PC680MJ is only a few bucks more so definitely seems worth it. Thanks for the tip.

Sojhinn (09-12-2016)
Old 09-14-2016, 02:46 AM   #10147
Target70

Drives: 2013 Asphalt 6spd
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
I learned that the phantom frs from a stop sign will flat out walk away from a strange dark SUV that follows you through 3 random turns in back roads.. at least until he turns on his flashing blue lights, then I learned the brakes work pretty good too.

Apparently my OFT tune is running too rich and 1/4 throttle in 2nd gear after a turn is all it takes to puff out enough smoke to attract attention and look like im going 60 mph, when I never went over 35 (the posted limit). After telling him he scared the hell out of me, him checking my ID for warrants, and me informing him that I can't just call 911 if someone is following me because my work doesn't allow me to carry my cellphone or gun on the property, He kinda thought it was pretty funny and told me to slow down in neighborhoods. Oh and he liked my car; so I got that going for me, which is nice.

and just to get back on topic, I am going on 2 years now with the phantom and my starter battery hasn't died once.
Gums (09-14-2016), Sojhinn (09-14-2016)
Old 09-14-2016, 12:53 PM   #10148
LucidMomentum
No Money, No Problems

Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S (Halo White)
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Hey all, long time no post.

Been more than happy with the FR-S and the ESC, love it!

The procede and OFT have been great to me as well, any new Procede maps and OFT tunes for CA 91 Octane gas and Automatic Transmission?

Also, last week or so I started noticing I wasn't getting much from pulls, if at all. Like I'll hit the activation RPM / throttle positions for the Procede and I'll get maybe a few seconds of boost and the readout will go from 28.5 to 18.0 and then it won't activate for a minute or so, even with the readout going back to 28.5 before then.

Any ideas on what I can look into / troubleshoot? I'm thinking either something with the Procede is off (unlikely, haven't had any issues with it since install and the wiring is in a spot where it's not going to get moved or anything) or the batteries are worn out / drained (possible, I have had a dead battery on a few occasions, due to not starting the car while working on it and my battery charger is old - any recommendations for a new one?), or the new android head unit I installed is too much of a strain on the alternator. (no clue, I doubt it though as everything else with the sound system is stock and I don't think my head unit would affect the alternator outside of startup)

Anyone have this problem where a setup that's worked fine for a year stops being as responsive / powerful as it once was?

Also what's the typical battery setup nowadays? I'm thinking just getting 3 PC 680s, is that still the recommended way of building your dump and starter battery setup? With two of them in series as dumps and then the third as the starter, correct?
Old 09-14-2016, 01:14 PM   #10149
Sojhinn
Lightning McQueen Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucidMomentum View Post
Hey all, long time no post.

Been more than happy with the FR-S and the ESC, love it!

The procede and OFT have been great to me as well, any new Procede maps and OFT tunes for CA 91 Octane gas and Automatic Transmission?

Also, last week or so I started noticing I wasn't getting much from pulls, if at all. Like I'll hit the activation RPM / throttle positions for the Procede and I'll get maybe a few seconds of boost and the readout will go from 28.5 to 18.0 and then it won't activate for a minute or so, even with the readout going back to 28.5 before then.

Any ideas on what I can look into / troubleshoot? I'm thinking either something with the Procede is off (unlikely, haven't had any issues with it since install and the wiring is in a spot where it's not going to get moved or anything) or the batteries are worn out / drained (possible, I have had a dead battery on a few occasions, due to not starting the car while working on it and my battery charger is old - any recommendations for a new one?), or the new android head unit I installed is too much of a strain on the alternator. (no clue, I doubt it though as everything else with the sound system is stock and I don't think my head unit would affect the alternator outside of startup)

Anyone have this problem where a setup that's worked fine for a year stops being as responsive / powerful as it once was?

Also what's the typical battery setup nowadays? I'm thinking just getting 3 PC 680s, is that still the recommended way of building your dump and starter battery setup? With two of them in series as dumps and then the third as the starter, correct?

Most likely one of the dump batteries is out. Snag 3 pc680s (1 mj for the starter) and you should be good to go.

Installed Mods:
Old 09-14-2016, 01:27 PM   #10150
LucidMomentum
No Money, No Problems

Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S (Halo White)
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Most likely one of the dump batteries is out. Snag 3 pc680s (1 mj for the starter) and you should be good to go.

Good to know! Amazon Prime has them all available, I want the ones without the SAE Brass Terminals for the dump pack right?

Tags
26$ / wtq, affordable boost, better than turbo, brz electric supercharger, do want, dumbass freddy, electric shrimpage, electric supercharger, electronic supercharger, epic thread tag, fanboy circle jerk!, freddy keyboardwarrior, frs electric supercharger, get a real blower, haters gonna hate, hows the battery life?, lol, moar powa, nos with battery, one gear race champion, only pulls hard once, phantom charge, pm-robftss to order!, release date=not yet, release it already!, released!, rice, shut up and take our $$$, snake oil claims, street only, super pursuit mode, the price isn't known yet, tq300 plzkkthxbai, wooshy noise, yes turbo is better, yes turbo is expensive