follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 06-15-2017, 06:41 PM   #15
Darkrune

Drives: 2017 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myriad View Post
Yeah, the interior with the orange stitching is fantastic. But that orange paint is pretty bright, and I even like orange as a Flyers fan! I wish it was toned down just a bit. Maybe I should take another look, but they are hard to find. I've only seen it in person once on a road trip, but locally they are starting to filter in so maybe I'll have more chances soon. All that extra money makes me pause, too.

I do believe the stock spoiler for 2017 86 is the same as the FRS.

Myriad
Comes in white too bro! Thanks for the answer.
Darkrune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 01:53 AM   #16
Borchert97

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
This is an old thread, but it has some great pictures of the US 2017 BRZ spoiler. Which is now also the US Toyota 860 special edition spoiler.

I'm shopping for a new car and looked the 860, but I'm leaning towards the base model hot lava (less flashy orange). One problem is the lack of this spoiler option. The base spoiler is not doing it for me, and very few have them anyway. I'd love to put the all black 860 spoiler on it, if that is a part Toyota could even order. ft86speedfactory.com has an unpainted BRZ one for sale too. To get one with ends painted hot lava would be fantastic, but I understand that is a difficult color to match due to the pearlescent nature of it.

The biggest difficulty beyond painting or ordering, though, is mounting. I understand the new trunks have reinforced plates to keep the metal from flexing, and I'm guessing 86 trunks without an 860 special edition spoiler from the factory do not have this reinforcement. Can anyone confirm this? If it's missing, is this something you can add? Or are these plates under the folds of metal and not accessible? Some of these pics above suggest that.

Thanks,
Myriad
The one you can get from ft86speedfactory isn't the actual OEM part, it's an OE-style part, it doesn't have the green clips shown on this thread, for example. And it appears that the reinforcement isn't all that necessary since ft86speedfactory advertises it for 2013+ on all models.

I'll let you know if you'd like how I go about getting it installed on my own 86, I ordered the carbon fiber variant of this wing and it should be here Thursday, and since that's one of my days off, I'll definitely take some time that day to get it installed. It seems like it's a complicated install that involves some tools I don't have so I'll probably shop around at a body shop and see what they say.
Borchert97 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Borchert97 For This Useful Post:
Clipdat (06-28-2017), Myriad (06-26-2017)
Old 06-26-2017, 07:10 AM   #17
22R
22R

Drives: 2012 Camry SE 2017 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
So I may have missed it but would a 2017 BRZ spoiler mount in the place of a 86 Base spoiler directly ? same holes and mounting or is it different ?

22R
22R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 09:38 AM   #18
Vital

Drives: 2015 BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by 22R View Post
So I may have missed it but would a 2017 BRZ spoiler mount in the place of a 86 Base spoiler directly ? same holes and mounting or is it different ?

22R
Most likely it should. Because the the Toyota 860 (special edition) has the same spoiler as the BRZ's
Vital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 10:12 AM   #19
funwheeldrive

Drives: BANNED FOR TELLING THE TRUTH
Thanked 3,022 Times in 1,409 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vital View Post
Most likely it should. Because the the Toyota 860 (special edition) has the same spoiler as the BRZ's
Only the 860 has that spoiler though for the 86. The regular models have the old Scion version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22R View Post

22R
If it's a base model 86 with the old style Scion spoiler then it will not bolt up directly.
funwheeldrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 11:09 AM   #20
Vital

Drives: 2015 BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by funwheeldrive View Post
Only the 860 has that spoiler though for the 86. The regular models have the old Scion version.

If it's a base model 86 with the old style Scion spoiler then it will not bolt up directly.
Oh ok, but i believe the base 86 does not come with any kind of spoiler. I could be wrong.
Vital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 12:50 PM   #21
funwheeldrive

Drives: BANNED FOR TELLING THE TRUTH
Thanked 3,022 Times in 1,409 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vital View Post
Oh ok, but i believe the base 86 does not come with any kind of spoiler. I could be wrong.
Yeah, youre right. I'm pretty sure the BRZ trunk has extra internal bracing for the new spoiler though. Someone posted a diagram of the updated trunk recently.
funwheeldrive is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to funwheeldrive For This Useful Post:
Clipdat (06-28-2017)
Old 06-26-2017, 01:38 PM   #22
Myriad

Drives: 2017 86, 2012 Tundra, 1999 Integra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borchert97 View Post
The one you can get from ft86speedfactory isn't the actual OEM part, it's an OE-style part, it doesn't have the green clips shown on this thread, for example. And it appears that the reinforcement isn't all that necessary since ft86speedfactory advertises it for 2013+ on all models.

I'll let you know if you'd like how I go about getting it installed on my own 86, I ordered the carbon fiber variant of this wing and it should be here Thursday, and since that's one of my days off, I'll definitely take some time that day to get it installed. It seems like it's a complicated install that involves some tools I don't have so I'll probably shop around at a body shop and see what they say.
Very interesting! I didn't notice that it's not oem. And if it can be installed without the extra bracing plates, then that is the answer to my question! Still, if Subaru/Toyota felt it important enough to add reinforcements to the trunk, how is this model so different that it is no longer needed? Is it lighter? Is it not as effective at changing the flow of air at high speeds, thereby reliving the pressure at the bolts? It somehow still makes me nervous not to have it.

Yes, please post your updates on how you install the spoiler. I'm very curious what your body shop has to say on the matter. Id love to hear your review of the carbon fiber variant too.

Myriad
Myriad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 01:42 PM   #23
Myriad

Quote:
Originally Posted by funwheeldrive View Post
Yeah, youre right. I'm pretty sure the BRZ trunk has extra internal bracing for the new spoiler though. Someone posted a diagram of the updated trunk recently.
22R and Vital,

Just check out the pics on page one of this thread. They show the old and new spoiler holes and a diagram of the new trunk bracing.

Myriad
The Following User Says Thank You to Myriad For This Useful Post:
funwheeldrive (06-26-2017)
Old 06-27-2017, 09:38 PM   #24
Borchert97

Quote:
Very interesting! I didn't notice that it's not oem. And if it can be installed without the extra bracing plates, then that is the answer to my question! Still, if Subaru/Toyota felt it important enough to add reinforcements to the trunk, how is this model so different that it is no longer needed? Is it lighter? Is it not as effective at changing the flow of air at high speeds, thereby reliving the pressure at the bolts? It somehow still makes me nervous not to have it.

Yes, please post your updates on how you install the spoiler. I'm very curious what your body shop has to say on the matter. Id love to hear your review of the carbon fiber variant too.

Myriad
Alright so here's what I got for you all.

I own a 2017 Toyota 86, I work at Subaru and a buddy of mine sold our only 2017 BRZ so I got a hold of it since I clean the sold cars getting prepped for delivery anyways and snapped a picture of both my trunk and the BRZ's trunk.

Here's the driver's side bottom of my trunk:

Here's the driver's side bottom of the BRZ:

So as you can see, aside from the color, and the covers for the bolts and clip from the wing, the undersides look identical, so either:

-The bracing Subaru mentioned isn't visible, and it's built into the trunk and can't be seen without cutting it open.

-The Toyota received the same bracing as the Subaru despite not normally having the wing (only the 860 does).

I strongly believe it's both of these, the outlines of the trunk are the same so the bracing probably is internal, but both models received it.

Also, the "new strut" for the BRZ, is identical to the strut on the 86 so I genuinely believe both cars received the same upgrades, it makes sense from an efficiency standpoint, why go on and produce both the old and the new trunk when you know this is a very mod-friendly platform and the changes to the BRZ will benefit most enthusiast 86 owners anyways, and can just spend time and money producing an identical part.

A picture of a 13-16 BRZ/FR-S trunk would probably solve this mystery to compare to my pictures.

My wing is set to get here on Thursday so if all goes well I'll let you all know that it's doable.

I got the wing shown here:

http://www.ft86speedfactory.com/carb...-s-brz-86.html

Worth noting they have it installed on a 2017 Toyota 86 so that's a good sign, there's another here though:

http://www.ft86speedfactory.com/suba...l#.WVMaoogrLIU

While the other said it was "OE style" this one claims to be the actual OEM part, and I don't see it installed on anything through their gallery so it's comforting seeing the one I bought installed on the same car I have.

Last edited by Borchert97; 06-27-2017 at 10:57 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Borchert97 For This Useful Post:
Clipdat (06-28-2017), funwheeldrive (06-28-2017), Myriad (06-27-2017)
Old 06-27-2017, 11:43 PM   #25
Myriad

Wow, good going! That is some nice detective work there! I really think you're on to something about the trunk being the same for both models. If you say the struts are identical, then that's the clincher in my book.

If only Toyota would professionally install it so that it could be covered under warranty it would make things easier, but technically it is not a Toyota base model accessory, and Subaru certainly won't touch a Toyota. Good luck!

Myriad
The Following User Says Thank You to Myriad For This Useful Post:
Clipdat (06-28-2017)
Old 06-28-2017, 05:13 AM   #26
Borchert97

Quote:
Wow, good going! That is some nice detective work there! I really think you're on to something about the trunk being the same for both models. If you say the struts are identical, then that's the clincher in my book.

If only Toyota would professionally install it so that it could be covered under warranty it would make things easier, but technically it is not a Toyota base model accessory, and Subaru certainly won't touch a Toyota. Good luck!

Myriad
Yeah this is a funny car at dealerships, every tech at my work hates BRZ's because it's "mostly a Toyota".

Everyone at Toyota hates them because the engine is Subaru.

You can see in my pictures that the struts are the same, they even have the Subaru logo, even on my Toyota lol

Also, perhaps one could convince Toyota to install it since the 860 has it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Borchert97 For This Useful Post:
Clipdat (06-28-2017)
Old 06-28-2017, 10:08 AM   #27
Darkrune

Drives: 2017 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
That's awesome, but if I have the old style spoiler, that means holes galore if I want the brz spoiler.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Darkrune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 07:18 PM   #28
Borchert97

Quote:

Myriad
So I shopped around at local body shops with the best ratings and a good warranty, the first one I went to quoted me freakin' $400 AND told me they couldn't slot me in for a month. The next two I went to flat out denied to do it at all for liability reasons, then I went to a fourth one, they said they'd do it.

They're saying about an hour for the prep, and another two hours for drilling and the install, they said that the inner portion of the trunk is "high strength steel", and they have to be super on their toes to drill that. I'm 99% certain this is the extra bracing that has been discussed, so that's good that my car has it and they're willing to do it. It's cool that they gave me a 20% discount because I work at a Subaru, they slotted me in on the 5th which is pay day for me so everything works out.

Their final price after tax and my employment discount is $151.80. I'd say that's decent for a spoiler install, they're also making gaskets so it doesn't leak and offering a lifetime warranty on it so with all that rolled in I'd say I got a good deal. A helluva lot better than $400.

Here's some pictures of my wing, I even laid it out on the car and snapped a couple shots to see how it'll look when it's done.

Last edited by Borchert97; 06-29-2017 at 07:32 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Borchert97 For This Useful Post:
Clipdat (06-30-2017), Myriad (06-30-2017), TofuJoe (07-18-2017)