follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 07-20-2021, 12:34 AM   #1
BoxerRumble

Drives: 2015 Blue BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Trying to get my rod knock fixed

Hi, recently bought a 2013 and was so happy — until it suddenly stalled and got severe rod knock. Turns out this car did have the recall done in the last 16 months. l bought the car 8 hours away. I had it towed to a local dealer who is investigating it now. Here’s my first question - the local dealer says if they find that the issues are caused by the recall, then they want me to deal with the dealer that did the recall. But the car doesn’t run, and that dealer is 8 hours away. Can’t one Toyota dealer take care of fixing bad recall work done by another ? If not, who will pay for the car to be trucked 8hours away? If anybody has gone through something similar - please message me. I am so drained because this car is now a giant paperweight

Last edited by BoxerRumble; 07-27-2021 at 10:59 PM. Reason: clarify
BoxerRumble is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BoxerRumble For This Useful Post:
humfrz (07-20-2021)
Old 07-20-2021, 12:37 AM   #2
jflogerzi

Drives: 2013 Series 10 6MT FR-S
Thanked 2,013 Times in 1,457 Posts
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxerRumble View Post
Hi, recently bought a 2013 FRS and was so happy — until it suddenly stalled and got severe rod knock. Turns out this car did have the recall done 13 months ago and 1,600 miles ago.l bought the car 5 hours away. I had it towed to a local dealer who is investigating it now. Here’s my first question - the local dealer says if they find that the issues are caused by the recall, then they want me to deal with the dealer that did the recall. But the car doesn’t run, and that dealer is 5 hours away. Can’t one Toyota dealer take care of fixing bad recall work done by another ? If not, who will pay for the car to be trucked 5 hours away? If anybody has gone through something similar - please message me. I am so drained because the vehicle I used to to go see this car when buying it also got rod knock on the way home - took a long time to be approved and get an engine, must have been some cruel foreshadowing that I never picked up on!!!
You will need to take it to the dealership where the work is done. One dealership is not on the hook for another's work... I would call them now prior to have the other dealership touch anything.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk
2013 Series 10 FRS #553
RCE T2's, SPC LCAs -4/2.6 camber
JDL 4-2-1 EL, FP and OP, Tuned by Zach@CSG on e85
RR Wilwood Front/Rear Sport BBK, Motul 600 Fluid
ARC-8 17x9 SX2 GTs 245s/Koing 17x8 v730's 225's
jflogerzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 01:03 AM   #3
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,813 Times in 16,424 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxerRumble View Post
Hi, recently bought a 2013 FRS and was so happy — until it suddenly stalled and got severe rod knock. Turns out this car did have the recall done 13 months ago and 1,600 miles ago.l bought the car 5 hours away. I had it towed to a local dealer who is investigating it now. Here’s my first question - the local dealer says if they find that the issues are caused by the recall, then they want me to deal with the dealer that did the recall. But the car doesn’t run, and that dealer is 5 hours away. Can’t one Toyota dealer take care of fixing bad recall work done by another ? If not, who will pay for the car to be trucked 5 hours away? If anybody has gone through something similar - please message me. I am so drained because the vehicle I used to to go see this car when buying it also got rod knock on the way home - took a long time to be approved and get an engine, must have been some cruel foreshadowing that I never picked up on!!!
How many total miles on the car?

Does the car have any power mods?

If the recall did mess up the engine, I reckon you are on the hook to get it to the dealer that did the work (IF, they will do it at all).

In the future you may wish to go with an EV, since you don't seem to have much luck with ICEs. (sorry - bad joke - )
humfrz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
BoxerRumble (07-20-2021)
Old 07-20-2021, 11:53 AM   #4
BoxerRumble

Drives: 2015 Blue BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
How many total miles on the car?

Does the car have any power mods?

If the recall did mess up the engine, I reckon you are on the hook to get it to the dealer that did the work (IF, they will do it at all).

In the future you may wish to go with an EV, since you don't seem to have much luck with ICEs. (sorry - bad joke - )

Thanks let me message you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BoxerRumble is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BoxerRumble For This Useful Post:
humfrz (07-20-2021)
Old 07-29-2021, 01:51 PM   #5
precurse

Drives: 2013 BRZ MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I just had my recall work done within the last year. Yesterday I started hearing a knock while I was driving. I pulled off the side of the road, the car lurched and I turned it off and it wouldn't crank after that.

The dealer that performed the recall work last year is saying it's a connecting rod failure and want either $8000 (CDN), or possibly $13,000 if they also need to replace cams and other things. They're claiming that they have a foolproof way of performing the recall work and that this engine failure wouldn't be caused by the spring recall.

Did you get this issue resolved?
precurse is offline   Reply With Quote