follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] For all off-topic discussion topics.

User Tag List

Old 09-27-2020, 12:27 AM   #281
thomasmryan

Drives: hyper blue
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
the little combo sounds pretty good in the brz. i tried it today and have some new respect for the stock system. i tried dsd files and a few .wav files. lots of buttons for filters, converters and a cool eq with 16k possible frequencies.

i listen to mostly rock with a few female vocalists thrown in. from norah jones on piano to tool. i like tight bass and the sustain of a piano. sarah mclachlan and natalie merchant are frequently played. theres the odd stuff like floyd, talking heads, yes, radiohead, donald ***en, amy winehouse and the normal rock; stones, tom petty, supertramp, rage, pretenders.... mostly 2 channel but some 5.1 in various media
thomasmryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 03:24 AM   #282
Vracer111

Drives: '13 Nissan Frontier (4.0L 6spd 2WD)
Thanked 1,245 Times in 669 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
My experience as well with the base stock system in my FR-S... good portable player connected to the aux-in and sounds REALLY good. Only problem with my FR-S was the loud noise-floor at speed, was simply unlistenable... but stopped/parked sounded really good. My Nissan Frontier system is even better and has much lower noise-floor level, but still not quite good enough at highway speed. Need to do some sound damping and get it Lexus level quiet...
thomasmryan (09-27-2020)
Old 09-27-2020, 09:11 AM   #283
thomasmryan

dead silence is a beautiful thing.
Old 09-28-2020, 04:34 PM   #284
Hypnocracy
Hypnocratic Missionary

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Whiteout
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasmryan View Post
great thread.

just picked up an oppo ha-2se and the first version of the onkyo dp-x1 to playback dsd files.

both have balanced outputs and i am unfamiliar with the advantages as i have only used normal headphones/earphones.
A balanced electrical signal runs along three wires: a ground, a positive leg, and a negative leg. Both legs carry the same signal but in opposite polarity to each other. ... Unbalanced cables are less complicated, but they're much more susceptible to noise problems.
Hypnocracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 09:12 AM   #285
thomasmryan

thanks, unknown.

the oppo pm-2s arrived on friday....super nice and on par with the new portable devices. mo better on the 105 but i haven't tried the big amp. the neighborhood will get some relief but no promises on the servo sub staying off for long.

i dabbled into pulling and converting a few dvd-audio files to wav files with foobar. i was quite surprised to find rar zipped files but most had 2 channel in 24 bit. the surround files have a leslie effect even when downmixed.

the little onkyo can convert wav to dsd for the oppo headphone amp. sucks the battery dry like a champ but the sound is silky. you can even detect the anger in rachel yamagata's voice. lol

still looking at cables to run balanced mode. my confusion of the term 'balanced' stems from the tied grounds in an xlr cable and the inversion to eliminate noise. imho, balanced as it pertains to cans is analogous to playing tug-of-war with a stick instead of a rope. there is no floating ground on the headphone wires, just the shield so i couldn't visualize where the errant noise signal could dissipate.

a couple sisters from hornytown used to come into the shop when i worked downtown. they where quite the hoot.
Old 10-07-2020, 11:56 AM   #286
Hypnocracy
Hypnocratic Missionary

Quote:
thanks, unknown....

a couple sisters from hornytown used to come into the shop when i worked downtown. they where quite the hoot.
Sweet...I have relatives from East Ridge Tennessee...spent some time in Soddy Daisy too...

This is a good read on balanced vs unbalanced...

https://audiouniversityonline.com/ba...lanced-cables/

I feel that for short distances at the typical home unbalanced is fine...is Balanced better? Absolutely...especially for when you are being paid and want to be sure the sound reproduced or recorded is as intended.
Old 10-07-2020, 04:50 PM   #287
MuseChaser
Feeling like thinking....

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 2,433 Times in 1,064 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypnocracy View Post
Sweet...I have relatives from East Ridge Tennessee...spent some time in Soddy Daisy too...

This is a good read on balanced vs unbalanced...

https://audiouniversityonline.com/ba...lanced-cables/

I feel that for short distances at the typical home unbalanced is fine...is Balanced better? Absolutely...especially for when you are being paid and want to be sure the sound reproduced or recorded is as intended.
There are tradeoffs. For long runs of low-level signal, i.e., microphone feeds, or in areas with the potential for a lot of external noise generation, balanced lines are much preferred. Having said that, balanced lines also require the addition of a transformer in the line (internal in the equipment, although external transformers are available when one needs to match balanced signals with equipment that requires unbalanced inputs). The addition of a transformer CAN influence the sound. One of my go-to mic pres in my recordinf gear is a Great River with both balanced and unbalanced mic inputs. For acoustic music where the utmost in fidelity (air, clarity, soundstage, imaging,,,whatever buzzwords you wanna use) is desired, the unbalanced inputs really shine. The balanced inputs work great and still sound very good, but tend to work better with consistently loud inputs and music that lends itself to compression and processing. I'd describe the sound as "chunkier."

So, I would not agree that balanced "is better." In high noise environments or long runs, yes. When you don't need balanced connections for those reasons, unbalanced has the advantage of less unnecessary stuff in the signal path. Just my experience.
Old 10-14-2020, 06:03 AM   #288
Hypnocracy
Hypnocratic Missionary

Being an old deadhead taper...I have a Sound Devices MP2 (branded as a Shure FP2) external mic pre...love the Lundal transformers for long mic cable runs and have the attenuators needed when all that gain is not required...and a AETA 4MinX all in one mixer/recorder with four channels of the finest analog preamps (it has two channels of digital preamps if you have digital microphones too) to be found on a portable battery powered device...Those are used with MicroTech Gefell M200/M210 and Milab VM44 Phantom powered microphones...all balanced inputs

I have Unbalanced 9v PIP preamps for lower end electret AudioTechnica AT853 microphones running into handheld recorders.

I’ve made really nice recordings with both...one costs approximately ten times as the other...can I say one setup sounds better...absolutely...but not ten times better.
Old 02-20-2021, 10:59 AM   #289
thomasmryan

i ordered a 'balanced' headphone cable for my headphones from periaptcables. it really tightens things up on the lower end.

https://periaptcables.com/
Old 02-20-2021, 12:13 PM   #290
JD001

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Thanked 6,164 Times in 3,461 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
i ordered a 'balanced' headphone cable for my headphones from periaptcables. it really tightens things up on the lower end.

I haven't tried the balance set-up.. I have a pair of IE Shures that I connect through a portable amp to my phone etc.. Good sound when on the move.
JD001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 12:50 PM   #291
thomasmryan

i couldn't stand my own curiosity of what the difference would be and the periapt cables seemed like a good value.

the portable onkyo player has a 11 band eq to fix the 'darkness' of the oppo pm-2s but foobar lets you eq (31 bands) to record/convert both l/r channels if you rip blurays or dvd-a. (mkv and vlc programs are quite handy).

lot's of play time for norah jones, natalie merchant, sarah mclachlan and sheryl crows globe session scad.
Old 02-21-2021, 11:09 PM   #292
cjd

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Thanked 2,925 Times in 1,712 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:

Could be difference in amp output stage or even cable impedance.
Old 07-01-2022, 03:42 PM   #293
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: GR Corolla
Thanked 3,012 Times in 1,855 Posts
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
If I have a PS5 connected to a TV via HMDI 2.1, and an 11.1.4 soundbar system via eARC, is it better to have the TV setting to bitstream or PCM?
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 06:43 PM   #294
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,661 Times in 6,778 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
doesn't really matter in that case.

pcm means the ps5 is doing the audio decoding.
bitstream means the sound bar is going to do the audio decoding.

the 'advantage' to bitstream is that there's sometimes additional audio channels in blurays' that the player can't/won't decode. in the case of the ps5, it's really not going to matter too much.

https://planethifi.com/pcm-vs-bitstream
Kaotic Lazagna (07-01-2022)