follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 03-16-2014, 10:30 PM   #29
jonbonazza

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
My question is this: Would this be your first manual? I ask this because, in all honesty, this really isn't the best car to learn on. The clutch is "odd" and the car is very spiky, especially during take off. Not to mention that you will probably wear down the clutch fairly quickly, which can be costly for someone still in school to replace.

With that said, I remember being your age and I doubt you will listen to anything we say anyway. :P (Hell, the fact that you even asked shows that you are more rational than the average kid. )
jonbonazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 10:58 PM   #30
captain_beebus

Drives: '14 Firestorm FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Get exactly what you want or not at all. Regretting a decision on something this big would suck.

Just my advice though, do whatever.
captain_beebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 11:03 PM   #31
congee

Drives: SSM BRZ
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
I daily drive my AT BRZ. About 30 kms a day.
My only complaint so far is the wind noise from highway driving.

One word of advice, if you plan on driving more than 50km. Make sure you take your wallet out of your back pocket.
Old 03-16-2014, 11:04 PM   #32
Jyn
Noob

Drives: FR-S Mammogram
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbonazza View Post
My question is this: Would this be your first manual? I ask this because, in all honesty, this really isn't the best car to learn on. The clutch is "odd" and the car is very spiky, especially during take off. Not to mention that you will probably wear down the clutch fairly quickly, which can be costly for someone still in school to replace.

With that said, I remember being your age and I doubt you will listen to anything we say anyway. :P (Hell, the fact that you even asked shows that you are more rational than the average kid. )
I'm learning on this car. It's not too bad compared to maybe an STi or S2K (comparable price range when buying used). After finding the DIY on here for adjusting the engagement point, I'd argue if the high clutch engagement is too weird, there's an easy solution to it!
Jyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 11:10 PM   #33
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyn View Post
- Stock speakers suck. I have the Monogram, which has the Bespoke 5.1 system and it still sucks. Oh well, the engine noise more than compensates for it.
just wanted to correct this, as i suspect a salesperson gave you that info..

the bespoke unit is an upgraded head unit for the 86, but there is zero allotment for a center channel in these cars, and no oem-installed sub (there is a dealer-installed sub option, but i'm not aware of it being automatically included with any model). also, because the source material is always 2 channel audio split to the front and rear speakers, that makes it a 2.0 channel stereo system.

if you had a sub installed, then it would be a 2.1 channel sound system.

back on topic, i dd my manual brz and love it. it's no substitute for the pickup truck i'd rather take some days if i had one, but it does alright hauling my tools and misc materials when needed. i take the long way to work not because any aspect of the route is faster, but it is more enjoyable.. it's hard to appreciate this car until you understand that it's not the speed that's important..

everyone asks me how fast it is, and i really don't know how to answer them even after so many have asked me-- if i wanted speed, i would have grabbed up a used v8 mustang/camaro which would have been cheaper... imo those are 'destination'cars(when can we get there we need to get there how fast can we get there), where this is more of a 'journey' car(if i turn left here, it'll take 30 minutes longer, but there's 5 miles of curvy roads)..

it's one of those things you either get or don't get, and i'm not really sure it's explainable to those that don't get it when so many are all about horsepower numbers and 1/4 mile times..

for me, there's only one way to sum up what this car is all about:

Last edited by soundman98; 03-16-2014 at 11:26 PM.
soundman98 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to soundman98 For This Useful Post:
CruiseZen (03-17-2014), jonbonazza (03-16-2014)
Old 03-17-2014, 12:30 AM   #34
Hotrodheart

I have the automatic. It's fun for an automatic. When in manual mode, I usually shift with the paddles unless I am really working the steering wheel. Then I use the "slap shift."

You lose about a second 0-60. But you gain MPGs. It's a trade off I gladly made; since a back injury, a MT is no longer an option.

Driven carefully, you will easily exceed the stated gas mileage figures.

The handling is magic. And I've owned some nice handling cars.

And I get daily compliments on the looks of the car. It is just the right balance between beauty and aggressiveness. It is as good looking as a glass bowl of tits. Too small to get laid in, but you get laid the minute you get out.

I suggest the silver. It shows off the curves of the sheetmetal nicely in the sun.

Enjoy.
Hotrodheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 12:42 AM   #35
Drive
Crickets...

Drives: FR-S 10 Series
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NateNasty View Post
what would you wanna change?
Not a single thing.
Old 03-17-2014, 12:54 AM   #36
Jyn
Noob

Drives: FR-S Mammogram
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
just wanted to correct this, as i suspect a salesperson gave you that info..

the bespoke unit is an upgraded head unit for the 86, but there is zero allotment for a center channel in these cars, and no oem-installed sub (there is a dealer-installed sub option, but i'm not aware of it being automatically included with any model). also, because the source material is always 2 channel audio split to the front and rear speakers, that makes it a 2.0 channel stereo system.

if you had a sub installed, then it would be a 2.1 channel sound system.
That is good info, thanks. I was disappointed a "5.1" system could sound so terrible since my 2008 4Runner has the JBL sound system package and it sounds worlds better. Guess I will look into replacing the stock speakers sometime.
Jyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 01:07 AM   #37
CBThib307

Drives: Raven FR-S Monogram (MT)
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monogram View Post
JL Audio C5-650 set makes the stock stereo night and day better.

Road noise is much better than many vehicles I have had over the years, and I can talk on the factory Bluetooth at 70mph with no issues.

The seats are more comfortable for 2+ hour trips than any other car I have owned... More comfortable than my wife's 2014 IS350 F-Sport.

I daily drove a 1971 Datsun 240Z for 15 years, and there is no comparison... Maybe comfort is relative?

As a daily driver, this thing is a complete blast!

2014 Monogram, Manual w/TRD Exhaust.
Comfort is absolutely relative and as you mentioned, the car your coming from makes a huge impact on your feeling toward it. I also believe that your own personal shape has a lot to do with it too. I have metabolism issues so I'm basically a skeleton, so the road may be more harsh on me than it is on others. My old man was with me on the mentioned Nola trip and he felt fine afterwards, and he has more body mass than I do. My last car was boring comfort sedan so that's what I have to compare the FR-S to. That car also had a lot of sound deadening so that makes my comparison for cabin noise as well. Still, I wouldn't trade my new daily driver for pretty much anything.
CBThib307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 01:16 AM   #38
Tromatic
Banned

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 1,728 Times in 786 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
The stock sound system is fine, especially with it off and the windows down.
Tromatic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tromatic For This Useful Post:
CBThib307 (03-17-2014)
Old 03-17-2014, 01:21 AM   #39
CBThib307

Drives: Raven FR-S Monogram (MT)
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegasus View Post
Get whatever you truly want, I got manual because I knew that I would regret automatic everyday because I sissyed out. I would think I was missing out. I don't regret it.

To me, these are the big 2 about manuals. I never knew manual until FR-S, 1st it's not as difficult as my parents said. It's pretty easy, but it is another commitment. 2nd, it's not that great honesty. I've been reading that manuals are the greatest thing since sliced bread on the internet since I was 2 years old. Now that I'm actually driving my FR-S that supposedly has a nice shifting action. It's just moving around a stick and playing some pedals. Not a deeper dimension or anything. So don't go in thinking it is.

Fun yes, but your really not missing to much. Nevertheless, I'm glad I went manual.
I completely agree with this. I also bought the manual because it was said to be so much better and now that I know how to drive it, I don't see why automatic gets all the hate. I test drove the auto before I bought the car and I don't feel like it was that much less fun than I'm having now. It might even have been better when traffic gets congested. That being said, I am glad that I got the manual and I have no regrets, but I don't think I would have regretted getting the auto either. Really this car is a blast no matter which badge, trim, color, or transmission you get.
CBThib307 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CBThib307 For This Useful Post:
AznBRZer (03-18-2014), MikoV (03-17-2014), Yugimons (03-17-2014)
Old 03-17-2014, 01:38 AM   #40
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,813 Times in 16,424 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NateNasty View Post
Hello all.

As much as i want a manual transmission my mom really wants me to get an automatic ........... Thanks for taking the time to read and respond in advance!
Well, NateNasty, first off, it sounds like the FR-S would be a good car to suit your transportation needs and desires.

Have you driven (or know how to drive) a car with a manual transmission .. ??

Will your Mom ever drive your FR-S .. ??

Does she know how to drive a manual .. ??

If you are comfortable with a MT and your Mom knows how to drive a manual if she will ever drive it, I would suggest you attempt to convince your Mom that a manual transmission would be a better choice.

Why .. ??

* It's less expensive (calculate out the difference ($1,000) over the life of your loan).

* Transmission repairs (if ever needed) are less expensive with a MT.

* Most MTs will get better gas mileage than ATs.

* Insurance is less (because initial automobile cost is less).

* Higher resale value with a MT.

* It's safer (you will be less tempted to text/hold a phone while driving, because you have to keep at least one hand on the wheel, the other one will be busy shifting.

* and ...... it's what YOU want ... !!

There ya go ....

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 02:18 AM   #41
Hotrodheart

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
Well, NateNasty, first off, it sounds like the FR-S would be a good car to suit your transportation needs and desires.

Have you driven (or know how to drive) a car with a manual transmission .. ??

Will your Mom ever drive your FR-S .. ??

Does she know how to drive a manual .. ??

If you are comfortable with a MT and your Mom knows how to drive a manual if she will ever drive it, I would suggest you attempt to convince your Mom that a manual transmission would be a better choice.

Why .. ??

* It's less expensive (calculate out the difference ($1,000) over the life of your loan).

* Transmission repairs (if ever needed) are less expensive with a MT.

* Most MTs will get better gas mileage than ATs.

* Insurance is less (because initial automobile cost is less).

* Higher resale value with a MT.

* It's safer (you will be less tempted to text/hold a phone while driving, because you have to keep at least one hand on the wheel, the other one will be busy shifting.

* and ...... it's what YOU want ... !!

There ya go ....

humfrz
Not THIS car tho. It's the gearing.
Hotrodheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 02:29 AM   #42
Crazy Drew

Drives: Smells like tires when I drive
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotrodheart View Post
Not THIS car tho. It's the gearing.
Is 30 ish mpg bad? I went from a car that averaged 19 and could not be happier.

One thing to consider is the hills of the bay area. Honestly, nothing against these replies but if you've never driven a manual trans before learning in the bay area isn't exactly the best. I lived there for a few months and I've never seen "hills" like that, including the Smokey Mountains and the Rocky's.... so.... IMHO I'd get an auto trans or get a manual and be prepared to use the e-brake a lot to keep you from rolling back on hill stars. :srsly: The 6 spd auto isn't the best but it's far from the worst. I'm kinda jelly of the laziness that can come with it as well.
Crazy Drew is offline   Reply With Quote