follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 03-16-2014, 05:10 PM   #1
NateNasty

Drives: Soon To Be Monogram FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Daily Driven FR-S Questions

Hello all. I've been lurking on this forum for awhile now and decided to join recently. I currently do not own a FR-S at the moment but I plan to within the next couple months or so. I've been doing my research heavily on this car of about couple months and man is it a beautiful machine. I just sold my 1st car which was a 98 corolla that was handed down to me. But it started to get maintainence issues regularly and is on its last limbs. I'm 21 years old and commute to work, school, and home on the daily. I have about a little more than 3k saved up for a down payment for the car but i want to save a couple more Ks so that my monthly won't be as much.

As much as i want a manual transmission my mom really wants me to get an automatic (i know.. i know), but i cannot really argue with her because she's paying for half of the car. I'm lucky she even fancied my idea of getting the FR-S. (I'm from a asian background -_-, and a mamas boy so i gotta listen to my mom).

Anyways I drive roughly about 30 miles a day. I don't really drive more than myself on a daily basis so i'm not really concerned with the seating on this car.

I'm looking to daily drive the FR-S. and i'm asking what're your experiences with it? What are the occurring problems that your having with the car, if any, in the drivers cabin or mechanically? What bugs you the most about the car , and what would you wanna change?

Thanks for taking the time to read and respond in advance!
NateNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 05:13 PM   #2
SuperDave

Drives: DAT Rally Blue BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
do what's right for you, or you will regret it for the life of the car.
SuperDave is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SuperDave For This Useful Post:
DoopaTroopa (03-18-2014), DragonDriver5 (03-16-2014), FRSBRZGT86FAN (04-10-2014)
Old 03-16-2014, 05:50 PM   #3
Marusich

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
I have an auto and for a DD it's great, fun when you want, easy when traffic is heavy. The issues with the car are pointed out fairly well in the Issues/Warranty section. Since you're getting a 2014 i'm guess the main ones won't be issues for you. The biggest problem you'll have is the amount of money you'll spend on things like OFT, Wheels/Tires, Exhaust mods, etc. It's a great car.
Marusich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 05:51 PM   #4
_______

Drives: SWP Subaru BRZ
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I have a BRZ and I love it as a daily driver. Its is pretty comfortable for what it is and so far I don't really have any major complaints. Maybe one complaint would be the audio controls on the touchscreen but seeing as you are getting the FRS it wouldnt apply to you. It is a back road monster and always a fun experience to drive. Oh and you definitely should get the manual if you are really wanting one, you have to convince mom.
_______ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 06:05 PM   #5
G.I.Choe

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS Argento
You and me are in nearly the same situation (put about 3k down for my down payment, am Asian, but since I'm paying for all of it, my mom didn't have a say in the matter...my girlfriend, on the other hand, is another story).

I commute 40 miles a day (20 miles each way), and I love it as a DD. Been doing it for a little over a full year now.

Cons:
-40 miles a day for a year means I have nearly 20,000 miles already. I'll have used all my free oil changes/inspections in under 14 months.
-Road noise at freeway speeds. I gotta crank my stereo fairly loud to compensate, and the stock speakers suck.
-The constant, and I mean CONSTANT, urge to drift every corner. It's pretty bad. I'll sometimes take it to the parking lot behind my work, time it so the security guards are changing shifts, and go sideways a bit.
-I have to fill up at least once a week, so make sure to factor that into your finances.

Pros:
-You'll step out of it with a smile every time, and a year later, I'm still gazing at it longingly before locking up the garage.
-My FRS is a manual, and I live in Los Angeles. Since I work retail, most of my work days aren't on traffic heavy days. However, on the rare occasion I am stuck in traffic, it's not so bad. It also makes it easier to downshift quickly and overtake someone.

After driving it during my first week, I realized I would've HEAVILY regretted it if I had bought an automatic. It just feels so alive when you're rowing through the gears, downshifting, etc. It also helps that I live near Angeles Crest Freeway, one of the best curvy roads to drive in SoCal.
G.I.Choe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 06:09 PM   #6
N1rve

Drives: 2019 BMW ///M4
Thanked 1,167 Times in 714 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
The car is a great daily driver. I used to dread it in my other 4 door sedan... but this car makes it fun. Gas is great, especially from the 2.0L H4.

If I had to buy this car again... I would buy a manual... just so that all my friends can't drive my car LOLOL but I enjoy the automatic especially in the M mode... down shifting blip... musiicccccc
N1rve is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to N1rve For This Useful Post:
MikoV (03-16-2014)
Old 03-16-2014, 06:33 PM   #7
DragonDriver5

Drives: 2014 FRS, 77 Celica, 88 Supra Turbo
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by _______ View Post
Maybe one complaint would be the audio controls on the touchscreen but seeing as you are getting the FRS it wouldnt apply to you.
Actually, all 2014 FR-S's have touchscreen now
DragonDriver5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 06:36 PM   #8
juliog

Drives: 86
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Get a GTI MKVII...
juliog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 06:53 PM   #9
CBThib307

Drives: Raven FR-S Monogram (MT)
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
I just got mine less than a month ago and so far I don't have too many complaints.

1. It's been said many times but the stock stereo isn't very good. This is very subjective and really depends on your background with audio. Most of my friends think the stereo is fine because they don't really care about hi-fi. I have a degree in sound and I've always spoiled myself when it comes to audio so to me these speakers are just terrible.
2. Highway driving can be rough. The car does't have much sound deadening so the road noise can get pretty loud past 55. Also, depending on road conditions where you are, it can be uncomfortable at highway speeds. Louisiana roads are trash so a blast to NOLA and back did not do good things to my spine. I hear good things about highways in Cali so this one may also be irrelevant to you.
3. There's a button in the trunk that prevents the trunk from being opened with any of the buttons. I didn't know about it so when I had a bag hit the button and my trunk wouldn't open, I was terrified. I haven't run into any of the other common issues yet but that may be because it's a 2014 and Toyobaru worked them out.
Don't worry about your mom to much. Mine also hated the idea of this car at first. She was trying her hardest to get me to buy a Lexus, Infiniti, or Mercedes, even offering to help pay for them. She was really happy when I finally got my car though because she knew how much I wanted it and she really just wants to see me happy, as most mothers do.
CBThib307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 07:01 PM   #10
b rawr z

Drives: 2014 BRZ, 2008 Impreza
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tell ur mom u save a grand if u get manual ;P

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
b rawr z is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to b rawr z For This Useful Post:
JustBoostin (03-16-2014), racecat (03-24-2014)
Old 03-16-2014, 07:09 PM   #11
993Fan

Drives: 2014 DGM BRZ MT
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I DD my manual BRZ. It's ideal for my circumstances. Daily driving a car with a manual tranny never gets old and the FRS/BRZ is particularly well suited for DD duty utility- and fun-wise.

However, you should respect your mother's wishes. You can buy whatever you want later when you're on your own.
993Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 07:21 PM   #12
JM9ISM

Drives: 2014 BRZ WRB LTD
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Got my BRZ MT as a daily as well. What can I say... it just put a smile on every single corner. I actually hit a traffic only once a week, the only thing to be concern are the blind spots. My mom wanted me to get AT also and the only reason is so she can drive it....I was like I'd definitely get something else if I have to buy this car in AT
JM9ISM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 07:47 PM   #13
Karl07

Drives: 2012 86 GTS - Storm Black
Garage
I have an auto 86GTS for my daily and while I originally wanted a manual, I got too good of a deal to pass it up.
I regret nothing.
The suspension is firm but comfortable, and I found no issue with road noise, even though I never have the stereo cranking.
I have started modifying it more towards track, yet I still put 400km per week.
I like the AT because in traffic nothing could be easier, yet going through the mountains it is still quick and does what I want it to all the time.
Well thats how I feel anyways...flame my AT all you want guys, just as everyone did when I bought it, but at the end of the day, I love my car.
Karl07 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Karl07 For This Useful Post:
qganja (03-16-2014)
Old 03-16-2014, 07:48 PM   #14
PNW FRS

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Go MT!

Unless your mom is going to be driving the FRS and can't handle a MT... try and get the MT... it makes "daily driving" a whole lot more fun!! (But don't tell her that! My guess is that she doesn't REALLY want you having too much fun with the car.)

Which begs the question... WHY even consider the FRS if you're not trying to have some fun?? If she's looking for "sensible and safe.." get a Corolla, Civic, Fit or Versa. Going FRS and NOT going with MT is just wrong...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PNW FRS For This Useful Post:
FRSapex (03-17-2014), nyfries (03-22-2014)