follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] For all off-topic discussion topics.

User Tag List
go_a_way1, MisterSheep, Sarlacc

Old 04-27-2020, 01:54 AM   #1863
Atmo

Drives: TBA
Thanked 1,123 Times in 586 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.ac View Post
On thing I would add is go with the M.2 ssd. Get two one small one 100-200gb for boot ups. And another 1tb for storage. That's way faster than 2.5" ssd.
I have a single 1tb M.2 ssd and it takes just 35 seconds from off to watching a YouTube vid.

Oh that ram kit, that CL speed you want something faster than 19. If you can CL 14 speed is the way to go, but 15/16 speeds are better than CL 19. (Lower is better).
This, what I did for boot, storage, and memory. Memory price/performance gets severe below CL 15/16 but there's affordable server 15/16 memory with lifetime warranty that's close enough to 14 for most users.

Samsung SSD's get you full access to their Magician app.

https://www.samsung.com/semiconducto...umer/magician/

I've had liquid and air coolers. Both are effective. Better video card and case fans are very quiet and controllable with MSI Afterburner but I don't stress hardware much beyond F1 2019, Prepar3D and 4K video rendering. I found quality thermal paste properly applied at least as important as cooling hardware.

FS 2020 might be different but it's looking like the heavy lifting will come from the cloud.
Atmo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Atmo For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (04-27-2020), Spuds (04-27-2020)
Old 04-27-2020, 06:39 AM   #1864
Locky

Drives: BMW X5M
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeyleh View Post
I play Witcher 3 but not that often since I'm quite busy with my auto shop.
Played it several times but understood that it is not my type of games. I prefer something like WoW. It is interesting that if someone gets into our social circle but they don't play WoW sooner or later they disappear from our radars. It is quite normal to discuss strategies of accomplishing missions, shops to get gold etc and if the person is not aware of all those things then they can't be a part of our social network. I guess that no other game has similar effect!
Locky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 07:35 AM   #1865
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,939 Times in 11,376 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuds View Post
I upgraded to an all-in-one water cooler myself about 2.5 years ago so I could start overclock my cpu. Apparently a top-end air cooler is just as good and less expensive, but they are just so ugly IMO. I did have to adapt my drive bay to make it work though. And by that I mean I no longer have a CD drive in my PC.
The PC my son and I built as his undgrad graduation present last June has a water cooler in it, but I'm not sure it's more efficient than a good set of fans, not to mention they have fans anyway.

I agree it looks better and more "hi tech", but as mentioned earlier may computer is usually out of 90% of sight. The way my desk is setup, it sits behind the left of my three monitors.

I also don't typically overclock my computers either. I have done that in the past but in recent years have preferred to just leave well enough alone.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
Spuds (04-27-2020)
Old 04-27-2020, 08:36 PM   #1866
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
The PC my son and I built as his undgrad graduation present last June has a water cooler in it, but I'm not sure it's more efficient than a good set of fans, not to mention they have fans anyway.

I agree it looks better and more "hi tech", but as mentioned earlier may computer is usually out of 90% of sight. The way my desk is setup, it sits behind the left of my three monitors.

I also don't typically overclock my computers either. I have done that in the past but in recent years have preferred to just leave well enough alone.
i'm very similar. though the small advantage that water cooling has is minimizing fan noise. in a quieter setting, it can be preferable to move and/or consolidate the heat to a radiator and a few fans instead of multiple fans to blow on the heatsinks, and multiple fans to direct airflow through the case

i'm not convinced that there's any thermal advantage until one goes into overclocking though.
Atmo (04-28-2020), Dadhawk (04-27-2020), Spuds (04-27-2020)
Old 04-28-2020, 12:56 PM   #1867
Atmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
i'm very similar. though the small advantage that water cooling has is minimizing fan noise. in a quieter setting, it can be preferable to move and/or consolidate the heat to a radiator and a few fans instead of multiple fans to blow on the heatsinks, and multiple fans to direct airflow through the case

i'm not convinced that there's any thermal advantage until one goes into overclocking though.
My air-cooled Dell XPS desktop has only one large case exhaust fan in the rear and temps under load are always in the green. Clever air ducting there.

The 850W PS has a fan but it's silent.

It also helped lower CPU temp and fan noise when I upgraded to an Nvidia FE card with a ducted fan that dumps hot air out the back of the case instead of inside of it like most other cards do. Apparently there's a tradeoff if the card is OC'd and needs max cooling but I haven't needed to boost default setting for what I do. I can barely hear the card fan under high load, it's far enough away from the desk that it isn't bad.

About my thermal paste comment earlier, it was worth -4ºC at idle, pretty good for an easy job. Others might do better with conductive paste but fearing fire, I went with non-conductive.

The air cooled XPS runs cooler, quieter and better than my former Alienware Aurora with its bunch of fans and water cooling that sounded like a Dyson under load. The case lights were cool though, but I don't really miss them as much as my nephews.
Old 04-28-2020, 02:41 PM   #1868
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atmo View Post
My air-cooled Dell XPS desktop has only one large case exhaust fan in the rear and temps under load are always in the green. Clever air ducting there. .
My current primary computer is a Dell XPS 8300 i7-2600 and you are correct it is whisper quiet, even under load. I got a steal of a deal on it in (oh my God I just looked) 2011!

It's had 3 OS upgrades, 3 video card upgrades, and is on it's 3rd power supply (had to upgrade the PSU when I upgraded the video card the first time).

It is just starting to not be able to keep up with modern games, although I did play Just Cause 4 on it with no issues at HD. It might even be able to keep going if I could do a GPU upgrade but it has a BIOS not UEFI so no current card will work with it. I had to buy a specific card last time to get around that, not all worked at that point.

Just goes to show how processor has finally reached a point where it isn't much of a factor. It's all about the GPU.

It's definitely time to move on though. I've never gone more than 3 years with a computer before this one.

Old 04-28-2020, 03:06 PM   #1869
Atmo

Quote:
It's definitely time to move on though. I've never gone more than 3 years with a computer before this one.

That gives me hope that I can continue upgrading my almost 5 year old XPS 8900 i7 6700K for a few more years. Like you, 3 years or less was the usual holding period before this one. It still benchmarks well with all the upgrades I've done and will keep it while Dell SupportAssist pushes free updates.

I get the best deals buying New category recent overstock stuff from the Dell Outlet site with discount coupons. A little too hard to resist at times, can't check there too often or I'll get in trouble with the CFO.
The Following User Says Thank You to Atmo For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (04-28-2020)
Old 04-28-2020, 03:13 PM   #1870
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Quote:
I get the best deals buying New category recent overstock stuff from the Dell Outlet site with discount coupons. A little too hard to resist at times, can't check there too often or I'll get in trouble with the CFO.
Yep, when I don't roll my own, I usually get it from the Dell Outlet. The XPS line (which is basically the same as Alienware without the fancy upcharge marketing) is underrated in my opinion.

I go back with Dell to the days they were "PC Limited".

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
Atmo (04-28-2020), soundman98 (04-28-2020), Spuds (04-28-2020)
Old 04-28-2020, 07:12 PM   #1871
Spuds
The Dictater

Drives: '13 Red Scion FRS
Thanked 12,433 Times in 6,148 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quote:
Yep, when I don't roll my own, I usually get it from the Dell Outlet. The XPS line (which is basically the same as Alienware without the fancy upcharge marketing) is underrated in my opinion.

I go back with Dell to the days they were "PC Limited".
I considered an XPS for my work laptop. All signs pointed to that for a good consumer-grade model. I'm sure a top of the line XPS would have worked, but I wound up going with a Precision because holy crap are they nice.

Edit... Oh you are all still talking desktops... Ignore me
Spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Spuds For This Useful Post:
Atmo (04-28-2020), Dadhawk (04-28-2020), soundman98 (04-28-2020)
Old 04-28-2020, 07:48 PM   #1872
Cole
Not a troll

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 5,399 Times in 2,694 Posts
Mentioned: 266 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuds View Post
I considered an XPS for my work laptop. All signs pointed to that for a good consumer-grade model. I'm sure a top of the line XPS would have worked, but I wound up going with a Precision because holy crap are they nice.

Edit... Oh you are all still talking desktops... Ignore me

I have an XPS 9570. It’s awesome. But has been collecting dust as of late since I am no longer travelling for work.

I’m now able to spend more time with this big boy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cole For This Useful Post:
Atmo (04-28-2020), Dadhawk (04-28-2020), Mr.ac (04-28-2020), Spuds (04-28-2020)
Old 04-28-2020, 09:11 PM   #1873
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quote:
My air-cooled Dell XPS desktop has only one large case exhaust fan in the rear and temps under load are always in the green. Clever air ducting there.
i wish more cases did ducting like dell has always done. it's really not hard!
Old 04-29-2020, 09:24 AM   #1874
iLuveKetchup
My VTEC fluid is full

Drives: EFF JAY
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Problem with Dell is that their advance settings are locked in BIOS and the generic motherboard.

I want to build a new PC but want to avoid products that are made in China. Which makes it impossible at this point, since most parts are made there.
iLuveKetchup is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to iLuveKetchup For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (04-29-2020), soundman98 (04-29-2020)
Old 04-29-2020, 09:37 AM   #1875
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iLuveKetchup View Post
Problem with Dell is that their advance settings are locked in BIOS and the generic motherboard.
True. I usually resign myself to not being able to do a lot of tuning to any PC I buy commercially because of that fact. It's a trade-off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iLuveKetchup View Post
I want to build a new PC but want to avoid products that are made in China. Which makes it impossible at this point, since most parts are made there.
Yea, the US has absolutely no manufacturing facilities for this type of stuff, which is a real issue. I'm hoping some of the after effects of COVID-19 is you see some of this coming back onshore, but I doubt it, at least not unless we start producing rare earth metals again.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
iLuveKetchup (04-29-2020)
Old 05-01-2020, 01:07 AM   #1876
Captain Snooze
Because compromise ®

Drives: Red Herring
Thanked 9,346 Times in 4,127 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Doesn't look like as assassin's creed game to me.

Captain Snooze is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pc master race, u no have 3080