follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > CANADA

CANADA Canada

User Tag List

Old 04-23-2014, 05:41 PM   #1
VirUzxZ

Drives: Black on Black on Black
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Canadian Intermittent RPM dip?

Hey there guys just wanted to throw up a post in the Canadian section to feel out if any else has gotten the update to the ECU to fix the intermittent RPM dip?

I just got it done today and finding that the car has developed a "shake" when ever I initially turn the car on and when ever you press on the gas?
maybe it's new and it needs to settle? maybe?

if anyone was wondering the Canadian tsb is supposedly "TSB 4102"
VirUzxZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 07:14 PM   #2
voyager2285

Drives: WRB BRZ
I have the intermittent RPM dip but in a different scenario. Mine drips occasionally on a red after a full stop (yes my clutch is fully disengaged).

After the ECU update during my oil change, the situation seems a lot better. I used to get 1 or 2 during a day, now I've seen it twice over 2 months. I'm not sure if the fix I got was related to the TSB tho.
voyager2285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 08:17 PM   #3
drewbot
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Drives: '13 Whiteout FR-S A/T
Thanked 1,452 Times in 752 Posts
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by voyager2285 View Post
I have the intermittent RPM dip but in a different scenario. Mine drips occasionally on a red after a full stop (yes my clutch is fully disengaged).

After the ECU update during my oil change, the situation seems a lot better. I used to get 1 or 2 during a day, now I've seen it twice over 2 months. I'm not sure if the fix I got was related to the TSB tho.

Got mine done too no questions asked

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
drewbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 08:36 PM   #4
ToyoburuBRZ

Drives: Black BRZ
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
I have this problem when I come to a stop at a red light. I talked to the service department at London Subaru at my last service and they said they had no info about it.

He went on in saying that Subaru generally emails them all the TSBs and if anything came up they would email me.

I will have to find this TSB and bring it to them.

Edit: I cant seem to find the TSB anywhere online. Is there a specific website this can be found so I can show my dealer
@VirUzxZ and @drewbot, what dealers in the GTA did you guys go to get this done. I may just go there

Last edited by ToyoburuBRZ; 04-23-2014 at 08:47 PM.
ToyoburuBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 09:19 PM   #5
drewbot
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyoburuBRZ View Post
I have this problem when I come to a stop at a red light. I talked to the service department at London Subaru at my last service and they said they had no info about it.

He went on in saying that Subaru generally emails them all the TSBs and if anything came up they would email me.

Edit: I cant seem to find the TSB anywhere online. Is there a specific website this can be found so I can show my dealer
@VirUzxZ and @drewbot, what dealers in the GTA did you guys go to get this done. I may just go there
I have a link only for the FR-S

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...62&postcount=1
Old 04-23-2014, 09:50 PM   #6
VirUzxZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyoburuBRZ View Post

I pretty much had the same luck as you did when I asked the service guys at my local Scion/Toyota service department. I had to basically get him to like play a game of "I'm not sayin', i'm just sayin'" in regards to the the well known fuel pump chirping TSB. I basically just went in there set up an appointment for issues I have that have a confirmed TSB in the US. (Take a look at the compiled list of TSBs out for the US Link: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21868 )

When I asked where I could find info about what TSBs are out for the Canadian market (due to the readily available TSB info on this forum are mainly USA TSBs) the guy basically said Toyota keeps that stuff confidential or something. just had to wing it and hope they'll fix it.

But yeah check out that link and see it helps u with getting it fixed cause theres totally one out for the BRZ (as per the link 11-136-14 Idle Stability)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VirUzxZ For This Useful Post:
Black Tire (04-30-2014), ToyoburuBRZ (04-24-2014)
Old 04-25-2014, 09:24 PM   #7
SCharged

Drives: asphalt fr-s
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
just went to the dealership today, and asked for the fix as I'd get rpm drop, bogging and stalling, which made ths issue a little more serious.. the buggers didn't want to hear anything, '' we cant replicate it'' and even if they could they said the tsb is american.. I said its kind of dangerous that the car just shuts off.. they recognize it was dangerous but that they couldnt do anything if the tsb was not for Canada.. Anyways the service guy (not tech) said that when they hook it up for any kind of work, if a new calibration exists, it is automatically loaded.. and on my way back and driving this evening, idle was super smooth.. hoepfully that's the end of it...
SCharged is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SCharged For This Useful Post:
FJ/BRZ (05-09-2014)
Old 04-25-2014, 11:10 PM   #8
Jereina

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Yes TSBs and tips that come from Toyota Canada are confidential. Not all US TSBs apply to the Canadian market. TSBs for the Canadian market are actually on a different site than the US market. Canadian techs have no way of looking up TSBs that are out for the US market.

I can tell u that there are TSBs out for fuel pump chirp (crickets) and a calibration update for intermittent RPM drop.

For fuel pump chirp, the tech actually has to hear the chirp in order to put a new pump in. We can't just do it if we can't hear it. This should not apply to the calibration update since it is intermittent.

If you word your problems and symptoms correctly, the tech will be able to find those TSBs assuming he actually goes to the Toyota site to look it up.
Jereina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 01:21 AM   #9
automatic

Drives: WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
My RPM has never dipped to the point where it shuts off...but I do get a floaty RPM between 500-1500RPMs sometimes.

I realized it was something to do with the climate control. To test if its the same thing, turn climate control completely off and see if that changes anything. I dont worry about my car hunting RPMs anymore...
automatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 03:53 AM   #10
kALMIGHTY
Banned

Drives: TRD Ultramarine '13
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
If you use any of the electronics in the car, it basically causes your RPM's to fluctuate. It's kind of funny to watch.

Press the rear defroster button on and off a few times, and watch your RPM's go up and down. Or use the window up/down switches, and watch your RPM's go up and down as well.

I like to have fun with that when I'm at red lights lol.
kALMIGHTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 04:47 AM   #11
Simon99

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited WRB
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Where can we find TSB for Canadian BRZ/FR-S ?
This car has allowed car enthusiasts to come from all different walks of life, car cultures, and brands. Just as a panda is black, white, and Asian; the 86 is Toyota, Subaru, and downright fucking sexy.
Simon99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 07:34 AM   #12
drewbot
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Unless you work for Toyota or Subaru, the number is unknown

Your best bet is to walk in and ask for any ECU updates available

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Old 05-01-2014, 06:10 PM   #13
VirUzxZ

While it is 100% true as to Canadian tsbs are confidential I however can confirm that there are tsb's out for:
RPM intermittent drop
Fuel pump chirp

Source: I've had them fixed and invoice refers to tsbs
Old 05-01-2014, 06:46 PM   #14
Simon99

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited WRB
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by VirUzxZ View Post
While it is 100% true as to Canadian tsbs are confidential I however can confirm that there are tsb's out for:
RPM intermittent drop
Fuel pump chirp

Source: I've had them fixed and invoice refers to tsbs

Thank you ill contact my local dealer regarding that
This car has allowed car enthusiasts to come from all different walks of life, car cultures, and brands. Just as a panda is black, white, and Asian; the 86 is Toyota, Subaru, and downright fucking sexy.
Simon99 is offline   Reply With Quote