follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 11-13-2016, 01:43 PM   #15
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,177 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86•BRZ View Post
The MCA product relocates the pick up point.
The SPL product is an adjustable arm.
Two different things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Different execution; same net effect.

Not taking away from the MCA part at all, as I suspect it is far less expensive than the SPL, and absolutely more "plug and play" for the average person.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 05:38 PM   #16
Racecomp Engineering

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2012 Paris Di2 & 2018 STI
Thanked 7,242 Times in 2,963 Posts
Mentioned: 303 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Racecomp Engineering
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
So... it affects bumpsteer; zero bumpsteer can be useful for those that prefer it.

SPL also has made a part like this for years, for those that are stateside.

http://www.splparts.com/products/spl...-fr-s-brz.html

http://counterspacegarage.com/spl-pr...preza-wrx.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
Different execution; same net effect.

Not taking away from the MCA part at all, as I suspect it is far less expensive than the SPL, and absolutely more "plug and play" for the average person.
Bumpsteer is not the same as anti-lift/dive/squat.

Quote:
The MCA product relocates the pick up point.
The SPL product is an adjustable arm.
Two different things.
Cool part. I've thought about something like this before and this seems like a good execution. It's a lot like the old Whiteline anti-lift kit for the front of Subarus.

Do you know what % it reduces anti-squat? Have you felt the need to adjust your spring rates afterwards?

- Andrew
Racecomp Engineering is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Racecomp Engineering For This Useful Post:
DocWalt (03-08-2022), justint5387 (08-25-2017), solidONE (11-14-2016), venturaII (11-17-2016)
Old 11-13-2016, 05:43 PM   #17
DeaconRoc

Drives: GT86
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecomp Engineering View Post

Cool part. I've thought about something like this before and this seems like a good execution. It's a lot like the old Whiteline anti-lift kit for the front of Subarus.

Do you know what % it reduces anti-squat? Have you felt the need to adjust your spring rates afterwards?

- Andrew
Just wondering what change would you expect it might need to spring rates?
DeaconRoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 06:35 PM   #18
86•BRZ

Drives: 86 GTS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
MCA Suspension "Traction Mod"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecomp Engineering View Post

- Andrew

I don't know exactly how much it reduces anti-squat .

Yes there a little effective softening of the rear from it.

I moved from Front 6Kg/mm Rear 5kg/mm to F7 R6, raised the rear a little, then tested over a day and adjusted dampers a tiny bit softer in front and a little firmer in rear and am now very happy with how the balance and behaviour is.

Like anything though. You set the car up for how you want it with the adjustments you have. Many have bolted it in and run it as is.

Last edited by 86•BRZ; 11-14-2016 at 03:04 AM.
86•BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 86•BRZ For This Useful Post:
Racecomp Engineering (11-13-2016), whataboutbob (04-15-2017)
Old 11-13-2016, 07:07 PM   #19
Racecomp Engineering

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2012 Paris Di2 & 2018 STI
Thanked 7,242 Times in 2,963 Posts
Mentioned: 303 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Racecomp Engineering
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconRoc View Post
Just wondering what change would you expect it might need to spring rates?
The change in anti-squat might be something that would get me to consider increasing rear spring rate or rear compression valving, but hard to say without trying out the kit and doing some testing. I wouldn't expect that you would have to change anything.

- Andrew
Racecomp Engineering is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Racecomp Engineering For This Useful Post:
DeaconRoc (11-14-2016), DocWalt (03-25-2023)
Old 11-14-2016, 06:00 AM   #20
Northwest86

Drives: Velocity Orange 86 GT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I'm still running my 7/6Kgmm springs like most of the guys are on our tracks. They still seem to be in the sweet spot. Some people added a click more dampening. Personally I left mine about where it was but I did try a click up and down. On the plug and play aspect I had an allignment about 2-3 weeks prior (about 10 trackdays and 8000kms) and after I came back for my reallignment to Street spec my car to drive home the camber was still within 0.1 Degree and Toe within 0.3mm of my original settings on the same calibrated setup. Mind you I may of done some exploring of the Trackside scenery too so they do a pretty good job of not changing allignments. Give it a go. It's a cheap part that you might enjoy.
Northwest86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 11:07 AM   #21
wparsons

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S Manual
Thanked 3,351 Times in 2,134 Posts
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86•BRZ
It's actually the exact opposite in practice.

The rear of the car is more planted at all points of the corner, but this balance is easily changed to suit what you want with any adjustments you make. I had my car set up the way I liked and with a few small tweaks the balance is where I want it but the car is more planted.

I find it tough to believe that reducing rear anti squat wouldn't make lift off oversteer more drastic. Reducing anti squat lets the suspension compress more under throttle, backing off the throttle is going to let it rebound. That weight transfer will induce oversteer.

Your spring rates are pretty front biased already though, so you might not get nearly as much lift oversteer to begin with.

All that said, if you're not lifting after getting pretty hard onto the gas, you'll never experience that, and if you're driving properly you shouldn't need to be doing that.
The Following User Says Thank You to wparsons For This Useful Post:
Hyper4mance2k (03-29-2017)
Old 11-14-2016, 03:50 PM   #22
86•BRZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
I find it tough to believe that reducing rear anti squat wouldn't make lift off oversteer more drastic. Reducing anti squat lets the suspension compress more under throttle, backing off the throttle is going to let it rebound. That weight transfer will induce oversteer.

Your spring rates are pretty front biased already though, so you might not get nearly as much lift oversteer to begin with.

All that said, if you're not lifting after getting pretty hard onto the gas, you'll never experience that, and if you're driving properly you shouldn't need to be doing that.

I hear what you're saying but it just doesn't work like that, and I can confidently say that because about 15 of us have actually tried it on track and and a few with different setups and spring rates.
The rear may be a touch softer but it's hardly standing on its head under brakes. I love adjusting entry angle by lifting throttle and on a particular local corner at over 130 kph it can be easily overdone. That's without braking and even through mid corner trail braking with the traction mod the rear was more reluctant to step out, I even tried a lot more aggressively. As said in the end I made a few other adjustments that favoured oversteer to compensate.

Last edited by 86•BRZ; 11-13-2017 at 03:27 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 86•BRZ For This Useful Post:
solidONE (11-14-2016), Tokay444 (04-27-2017)
Old 11-14-2016, 04:07 PM   #23
solidONE

Drives: FR-S Whiteout
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quote:
I don't know exactly how much it reduces anti-squat .

Yes there a little effective softening of the rear from it.

I moved from Front 6Kg/mm Rear 5kg/mm to F7 R6, raised the rear a little, then tested over a day and adjusted dampers a tiny bit softer in front and a little firmer in rear and am now very happy with how the balance and behaviour is.

Like anything though. You set the car up for how you want it with the adjustments you have. Many have bolted it in and run it as is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwest86 View Post
I'm still running my 7/6Kgmm springs like most of the guys are on our tracks. They still seem to be in the sweet spot. Some people added a click more dampening. Personally I left mine about where it was but I did try a click up and down. On the plug and play aspect I had an allignment about 2-3 weeks prior (about 10 trackdays and 8000kms) and after I came back for my reallignment to Street spec my car to drive home the camber was still within 0.1 Degree and Toe within 0.3mm of my original settings on the same calibrated setup. Mind you I may of done some exploring of the Trackside scenery too so they do a pretty good job of not changing allignments. Give it a go. It's a cheap part that you might enjoy.
The intent of the item is to increase traction while on the throttle and from the feedback and impressions on this mod from folk that have this installed seems to confirm that it works as intended. However, nobody seems to have mentioned much about the behavior of the car at corner entry off the gas or on the brakes. I'd assume there would be some trade-offs improving the rear end traction while not changing anything in the front end. Or has there not been any noticeable change in behavior of the car at the initiating a corner compared the the traction gained mid and corner exit? You'd think that after this mod it would cause the car to push a bit more than without. No?

cowardice is the mother of cruelty.
solidONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 04:11 PM   #24
GSpeed

Drives: 2015 BRZ
Thanked 1,181 Times in 362 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
International patent pending? Good luck. That's going to be STUPID expensive, and relocating pickup points is hardly novel and one could make a strong argument it's sufficiently obvious to someone "skilled in the art."

It's a good idea, but I question the wisdom behind filing an international patent on that thing.
GSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GSpeed For This Useful Post:
kch (12-09-2016)
Old 11-14-2016, 04:48 PM   #25
86•BRZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidONE View Post
The intent of the item is to increase traction while on the throttle and from the feedback and impressions on this mod from folk that have this installed seems to confirm that it works as intended. However, nobody seems to have mentioned much about the behavior of the car at corner entry off the gas or on the brakes. I'd assume there would be some trade-offs improving the rear end traction while not changing anything in the front end. Or has there not been any noticeable change in behavior of the car at the initiating a corner compared the the traction gained mid and corner exit? You'd think that after this mod it would cause the car to push a bit more than without. No?

Yes there is a little more "push" out of corners and the car is less taily at all points. Just trying to give my impression of this mod and I've been completely honest in my thoughts. To compensate I added a little more oversteer with basic adjustments for my liking but many have left it as is with the mod. The extra traction obviously still remains. I mentioned corner entry and trail braking above.
I'll try to get some other Aussies here for their thoughts on it as well.

Last edited by 86•BRZ; 11-14-2016 at 05:40 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to 86•BRZ For This Useful Post:
solidONE (11-14-2016)
Old 11-14-2016, 05:50 PM   #26
Panman

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Adding into the comments above I've had the mod on my car for some months, I'm one of the people in the MCA interview video for the product - I've run it across several different tracks as well as for drift, and as most of the Aussie guys who have commented above will attest I'm fairly "aggressive" in my driving style. I'm late on brakes and (possibly too) early on throttle. I run MCA Blues with 6KG front and rear, and my experience is that through corner speeds are higher, with much less oversteer/traction events on exit. I've modified my driving style slightly as I had been relying on some of the natural tail out which meant that I was slightly understeering on exit - I've actually stiffened the rear (rather than softening the front) and this makes it ideal for me. My advice, if you have a favourite track with some bumpy corner exits is to try this mod, it makes a huge difference to getting power down out of corners - my car is NA and for the FI guys this is providing even greater benefits.
Panman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Panman For This Useful Post:
Hyper4mance2k (03-29-2017), Racecomp Engineering (11-14-2016), Sleepless (05-11-2017), solidONE (11-14-2016), whataboutbob (04-15-2017)
Old 11-14-2016, 08:21 PM   #27
solidONE

Drives: FR-S Whiteout
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Very nice!

cowardice is the mother of cruelty.
solidONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 11:07 PM   #28
Panman

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
As an additional comment I haven't found snap oversteer to be any more of an issue after fitting the traction mod, and for drift the car is just as controllable as before.
Panman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Panman For This Useful Post:
Hyper4mance2k (03-29-2017), jeepmor (04-05-2022)