follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 08-16-2015, 06:53 PM   #15
philooo

Drives: 13' Scion FRS Track car
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
can we do the interpolation calculation in real time in the dash ? sorry newbie here, I am not sure what the AIM dash can do yet ... still learning.
Old 08-16-2015, 07:24 PM   #16
GSpeed

Drives: 2015 BRZ
Thanked 1,181 Times in 362 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by philooo View Post
can we do the interpolation calculation in real time in the dash ? sorry newbie here, I am not sure what the AIM dash can do yet ... still learning.
Negative. There's actually some problems with the linear offset calculations we found in Race Studio 3 that will be fixed in the next update, I'm told.

Jake
GSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 04:19 PM   #17
Beastronix

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PST View Post
Fuel level would be a huge benefit for other cars, not just ours. We would LOVE to be able to sell our customers on an Aim kit to replace ALL the gauges. It's annoying to have to tell them, "No, we'll have to leave that Stack fuel gauge there."

There ARE some plans in the works for a separate interface device to log ABS events.

@Beastronix, what about making a fuel level interface device? If you give us a 0-5VDC analog signal that plugs in, we'd be throwing money at you.
I'm sure I could sniff this out. Giving a plug-in signal won't be an issue either... I'll add this to the list. I just returned from 86Expo and plan on collecting the ABS data for output asap.

The #1 item on my list was getting around limitations on when you're allowed to enable the pedal dance. That has been solved I have the VSC module going to standby instantly when the car starts. Doesn't matter if it has been sitting for 2 weeks or if it's -10 degrees out. So, for track/race cars... we can say goodbye to that waiting nonsense. The Speed Academy guys should have a video up soon with this in action.

I'll migrate this over to the ABS system while I also collect the engagement data and will then look into the fuel data.
Beastronix is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Beastronix For This Useful Post:
philooo (08-17-2015), Sleepless (08-17-2015)
Old 08-18-2015, 09:34 AM   #18
frssfo

Drives: 2015 FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by philooo
If you have any PID you know of and want to share here that would be great. I know indeed many PID are useless, but gas level, abs, traction control and CEL lights are a BIG deal, we need to get these added!
I'm definitely interested in getting more data from the Aim Solo DL. Particularly fuel pressure (looks like that is not available) and oil pressure (which I also believe is not measured) for vehicle health.

As CSG Mike pointed out, fuel level will be all over the place when you're on the track, because the fuel is sloshing around when you corner and brake (and not so much when you accelerate). I'm interested to know how a fuel level reading could be useful.

ABS I get, and PST's calculation is a great way to get that for now.

I'd like to understand why CEL is important. If the CEL comes on, then pull off the track and use an OBD2 reader to pull/reset the code.

As you become a more experienced driver on the track you'll find you can get more out of the car by doing the "pedal dance" and turning off the traction control. At that point, gathering traction control data from the Aim seems redundant. Before disabling it you could also probably figure that out by looking at wheel speed in a corner - I would have thought TC intervention would be fairly obvious.

@philooo - what sort of things are you looking to learn from your data, and how are you applying them to the decisions you are making when setting up or driving the car? I'm interested in getting more out of my Aim so the more I can learn, the better.
frssfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 06:36 PM   #19
puma
crew chief

Drives: Race car FR-S
as far as fuel level, i just found it here on the forum and passed along to them, it is in a thread about a special obd reader, something like scangauge or something? Bunch of PID in there, i don't know anything about those so i won't be of much help for that.

Just sending the request and info to info@aimsports.com does the job, i usually go through Roger@aim or who ever is in charge to answer at info@aim
puma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 06:56 PM   #20
philooo

Quote:
Originally Posted by frssfo View Post
I'd like to understand why CEL is important. If the CEL comes on, then pull off the track and use an OBD2 reader to pull/reset the code.

The idea behind replacing every single light on the dash, is to get rid of the dash cluster and ONLY USE the Aim display. Mainly to have a cleaner look inside the car.

Once you put the Aim MXG in front of the OEM cluster you can't see the it at all. So if you are on track and the CEL light comes on, you will not be able to see it.

Again here I am talking about Aim MXL2/MXS/MXG. Look at my other thread here, about these display on how they fit on the dash

I am just trying to decide which Aim device I should buy and mainly decide between the MXS (OEM cluster visible), or the MXG (OEM cluster blocked). I need to know if we can improve the amount of data collected by Aim and get rid of the OEM cluster. Right now it seems the answer is ... no

About how to use the data to setup you car, I think @PST are the king at the topic.
Old 08-18-2015, 09:07 PM   #21
frssfo

Drives: 2015 FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by philooo View Post
The idea behind replacing every single light on the dash, is to get rid of the dash cluster and ONLY USE the Aim display.
Ah - that makes a lot more sense! And having the ability to add sensors for measuring suspension travel and other items that are not natively read by the CAN bus would be good too.
frssfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 11:48 PM   #22
D K
Stig's dark passenger

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
@Beastronix will your module work with a standalone ecu like Motec for example?
D K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 07:48 AM   #23
puma
crew chief

Drives: Race car FR-S
i beleive if you keep the OEM ecu you can't remove the cluster because of the immobilizer, car won't start.
puma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 08:58 AM   #24
philooo

Quote:
Originally Posted by puma View Post
i beleive if you keep the OEM ecu you can't remove the cluster because of the immobilizer, car won't start.
once you remove all the plastic part around the poem cluster, it is a rather thin 1.5" piece of plastic, that could be tucked behind the dash easily.

hopefully someone will be able to disable the immobilizer someday
Old 08-19-2015, 11:38 AM   #25
Beastronix

Quote:
Originally Posted by D K View Post
@Beastronix will your module work with a standalone ecu like Motec for example?
As long as the other ECUs are still as is, compatibility shouldn't be an issue. I'd of course like to do some logging & testing once this little project is full steam, but even if changes are needed they shouldn't be hard to accommodate.
The Following User Says Thank You to Beastronix For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (08-19-2015)
Old 08-19-2015, 11:45 AM   #26
D K
Stig's dark passenger

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Did you guys look at the GT86 rally car? I think in the catalog, they offer a similar option, or it might be integrated into the ecu.

^^^duh. With a standalone you wouldnt need the pedal dance anyways....
D K is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to D K For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (08-19-2015)
Old 08-19-2015, 01:59 PM   #27
Beastronix

Quote:
Originally Posted by D K View Post
Did you guys look at the GT86 rally car? I think in the catalog, they offer a similar option, or it might be integrated into the ecu.

^^^duh. With a standalone you wouldnt need the pedal dance anyways....
Was your first question concerning ABS & Fuel data outputs previously mentioned? Trying to make sure I'm on the right page
Old 08-21-2015, 09:51 AM   #28
philooo

Seems like someone else is looking for fuel level for the RACEPAK system here
@Poodles mentioned " in Torque, the fuel sensor is PID 2129"...if Torque app can get fuel level, I assume the $$$ Aim should be able to do it :S