follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 05-18-2023, 08:37 PM   #1
RaidenRacingCo

Drives:
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
2017 BRZ VVT Issues

Hello!

I’m currently in the process of building my track car with the help of your comments on this forum (thank you a lot those of you who replied to my last post). After speaking to CSG Mike, it was clear to me that a new tune for the parts I already had on my car before the engine went was in desperate need. Thanks to the folks over at CounterSpace Garage for helping me out with a great tune so far and helping me trouble shoot my issue!

At the moment, we’ve reached a hiccup, my VVT won’t enable. I’ve been scouring the forums for the potential issue(s) and potential solutions. The new motor was purchased brand new from Subaru and installed by a reputable tech and from my understanding, everything was running fine (I was a dummy and didn’t monitor anything via ECUtek). What are the odds that my VVT sensors could have gone bad in the last 950 miles or so? I’ve tried all the tricks I’ve read on the forums from past folks with the same issue and no matter what I do, the VVT remains at = 0. I saw a comment by CSG Mike to completely replace the gears but at my current skill set, that seems out of my wheelhouse.

I would love any advice to figure how to fix this and if it’s just a bad sensor perhaps versus a bad cam gear? Zach at CSG has already confirmed this isn’t a tune issue and has to be a mechanical issue!

Thanks in advance!
-Raiden

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RaidenRacingCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2023, 10:07 PM   #2
jamie0404

Drives: Toyota
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaidenRacingCo View Post
Hello!

I’m currently in the process of building my track car with the help of your comments on this forum (thank you a lot those of you who replied to my last post). After speaking to CSG Mike, it was clear to me that a new tune for the parts I already had on my car before the engine went was in desperate need. Thanks to the folks over at CounterSpace Garage for helping me out with a great tune so far and helping me trouble shoot my issue! pokedoku

At the moment, we’ve reached a hiccup, my VVT won’t enable. I’ve been scouring the forums for the potential issue(s) and potential solutions. The new motor was purchased brand new from Subaru and installed by a reputable tech and from my understanding, everything was running fine (I was a dummy and didn’t monitor anything via ECUtek). What are the odds that my VVT sensors could have gone bad in the last 950 miles or so? I’ve tried all the tricks I’ve read on the forums from past folks with the same issue and no matter what I do, the VVT remains at = 0. I saw a comment by CSG Mike to completely replace the gears but at my current skill set, that seems out of my wheelhouse.

I would love any advice to figure how to fix this and if it’s just a bad sensor perhaps versus a bad cam gear? Zach at CSG has already confirmed this isn’t a tune issue and has to be a mechanical issue!

Thanks in advance!
-Raiden

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You can use a multimeter to check the resistance of the VVT solenoid. If the resistance is too high or too low, the solenoid is likely faulty and needs to be replaced.

Last edited by jamie0404; 11-14-2023 at 10:22 PM.
jamie0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2023, 06:04 PM   #3
Grady

Drives: BRZ Yellow, 2019 Ranger, 2011 Evora
Thanked 1,473 Times in 770 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
What is your idle set at? You have to idle below 1K to enable.
Grady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2023, 02:34 AM   #4
tomm.brz

Drives: brz 2017 hksv2
Thanked 1,059 Times in 769 Posts
Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
try last resort

reset dtc
with dash on, press throttle slowly 4 or 5 times
turn engine on
let it idle 5 minutes without ever touching throttle

if still not active,
start driving without stopping for a few miles or more if need to warm oil up
while driving at a point you ll need to go past at least 3500 rpm with about 40-50% throttle and then also reach 5000 rpm with second gear but with few throttle
Once at 5k rpm let the car engine-break a lot
Finally slow down and stop at idle and look at VVT Enabled value

This hardly fail, you could possibly do more tries with it

for somw reason, rebuilt engines can be doomed with slow activation of VVt

i suspect it is caused by the VVT initial values that are imprinted in the ecu by the ecu itself, maybe the alignment of cam gears and everything in the front cover and valvetrain made by the mechanic is not perfectly equal to how it was before with the old untouched oem engine
Still withing spec but a little difference that can mess with the activation at idle of the VVt just after cranking
or,
some other problems with the cam gears reactiveness, i dont know

Driving like i wrote before somewhat moves things and put favorable conditions for its activation
tomm.brz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to tomm.brz For This Useful Post:
alphasaur (11-16-2023), RaidenRacingCo (01-28-2024), RToyo86 (12-01-2023), whataboutbob (12-02-2023)
Old 12-01-2023, 01:40 AM   #5
demasrv

Drives: 2013 Rally Blue BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Are your OCVs actuating? Or at least getting signal? Might try replacing those.
demasrv is offline   Reply With Quote