follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 05-11-2023, 07:31 PM   #15
949 Racing
FT86Club Official Vendor

Drives: Miata, GT350, FR-S
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teppka View Post
I’m on stock suspension and was wondering if it’s possible to lower the car but not make it stiffer than stock suspension?
Agree with Andrew, the lower the car is the higher the spring rates need to be, just basic physics. A higher quality and more precisely damper (shock) however, can improve ride quality enough to mask that extra spring rate.

So "stiffer" ride, yes if you are using the same dampers. But potentially no if you upgrade the dampers.

No matter how good the dampers are though, you can only mask so mush spring rate. I wouldn't expect an 86 lowered 30mm on 12/12kg rates to ever ride better than stock. But a car lowered say 12mm on 6/6kg rates can ride way better than stock and handle better too, give the right dampers.
Old 05-12-2023, 03:54 PM   #16
Sneakers

Drives: 2022 brz
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmiovino View Post
In general, a full coilover is going to allow you to change the ride height without killing your suspension travel. Lowering springs reduce suspension travel to lower the car whereas coilovers shortent the strut body to do the same thing on some models/brands.

If you do go with some of the more expensive options, you can actually get the car to ride better than stock and even opt for soft springs. More or less, you can tailor the suspension to fit what you need it to do.

I never liked lowering spring on cars. I ran 2-3 different sets on my WRX and you hit the bump stops on hard corners. Ride was never really great on any of them either.
Totally agree. Mine RCE Tarmac 0 is more comfortable than stock which can help me lowered the car to certain point I want.
Sneakers is offline   Reply With Quote