follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 07-10-2019, 08:22 PM   #169
Tristor

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by seekerof86 View Post
Guys,

Does anyone have the manual for stark performance cooler, the installation guide?

Thanks
I guess the above is mostly meant for you, although I replied to @Lonewolf. Either one of you is free to PM me if you have questions. Best of luck.
Tristor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 07:47 AM   #170
HSV Guy

Drives: Not a HSV (2017 BRZ)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Not sure how active this thread is but I have a few questions.

1) Is it possible to determine the temperature on the automatic transmission fluid via an OBD dongle? I assume not given the talk of people adding temp sensors, but then a couple of people have spoken about rev limiting and/or dash warning lights when they've guessed that ATF is too hot. If the car doesn't have a temp sensor how is it determining there is an issue?

2) Would you recommend a thermostat in a climate (Queensland, Aus) where it is rarely under 20°C (70°F)? My car is a daily drive but on the track around once a month.

3) I thought I had other questions, but aside from what's in this thread, anything else you'd call out as being good to know?
HSV Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 08:43 AM   #171
86TOYO2k17

Drives: 2017 toyota 86
Thanked 1,188 Times in 781 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HSV Guy View Post
Not sure how active this thread is but I have a few questions.

1) Is it possible to determine the temperature on the automatic transmission fluid via an OBD dongle? I assume not given the talk of people adding temp sensors, but then a couple of people have spoken about rev limiting and/or dash warning lights when they've guessed that ATF is too hot. If the car doesn't have a temp sensor how is it determining there is an issue?

2) Would you recommend a thermostat in a climate (Queensland, Aus) where it is rarely under 20°C (70°F)? My car is a daily drive but on the track around once a month.

3) I thought I had other questions, but aside from what's in this thread, anything else you'd call out as being good to know?
1. Yes you can

2. Not needed for a daily, but highly recommended for the track.
86TOYO2k17 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 86TOYO2k17 For This Useful Post:
HSV Guy (08-30-2020)
Old 08-30-2020, 09:25 AM   #172
HSV Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86TOYO2k17 View Post
1. Yes you can

2. Not needed for a daily, but highly recommended for the track.
RE 1 (can you check the ATF temp via OBD2), Would you be able to share the relevant PID/settings to query this data?
Old 08-30-2020, 02:52 PM   #173
86TOYO2k17

Quote:
RE 1 (can you check the ATF temp via OBD2), Would you be able to share the relevant PID/settings to query this data?
https://www.ft86club.com/forums/show...4&postcount=19
The Following User Says Thank You to 86TOYO2k17 For This Useful Post:
HSV Guy (09-03-2020)
Old 09-03-2020, 08:57 AM   #174
HSV Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86TOYO2k17 View Post
I did see that post but it looks like those are ScanGuage codes (https://www.scangauge.com.au/obdii-o...uges-standard/) which are quite different to PID codes (https://obdsoftware.force.com/s/arti...r-defined-pids) which require a 3 letter module, hex based OBD Mode, 4 number PID and a formula etc....

Would it be safe to assume having both an oil cooler and ATF cooler sitting in front of the radiator won't have too much of an impact the cooling ability of the radiator itself? Two 'oil' coolers wouldn't block airflow as much as an intercooler would and I'd assume the most likely impact would be that the radiator fans would kick in more often (opposed to significantly higher coolant temps)?
Old 09-03-2020, 09:23 AM   #175
86TOYO2k17

Quote:
I did see that post but it looks like those are ScanGuage codes (https://www.scangauge.com.au/obdii-o...uges-standard/) which are quite different to PID codes (https://obdsoftware.force.com/s/arti...r-defined-pids) which require a 3 letter module, hex based OBD Mode, 4 number PID and a formula etc....

Would it be safe to assume having both an oil cooler and ATF cooler sitting in front of the radiator won't have too much of an impact the cooling ability of the radiator itself? Two 'oil' coolers wouldn't block airflow as much as an intercooler would and I'd assume the most likely impact would be that the radiator fans would kick in more often (opposed to significantly higher coolant temps)?
scan gauge is relatively cheap, can track 4 things at once, i always did OIL, ATF, Coolant, and AFR.

If they where side by side and not stacked it wouldn't be much different then an intercooler, but you have so much extra space behind the fog light bezels.
put an oil cooler behind passenger side, get a chase bays windshield washer tank (saves about 8lbs bonus) and then you can mount a trans cooler behind driver side.
Old 12-28-2022, 10:23 PM   #176
markubiak

Drives: 2019 Toyota 86
I had issues with A/T temps across several track days this year, frequently seeing up to 245F even on very cold days. 2019 with bone stock power, no tune (86cup stock class). I've been looking at installation options and have been scratching my head - outside of the Stark Performance kit which appears to be EOL (no email responses) everyone else seems to be doing custom mounting. I have no experience with fabrication and a lot of mounts seem like they may not hold up, especially to lateral G's.

Has anyone considered running the Jackson Racing dual radiator/oil cooler, but using the oil cooler portion for transmission fluid instead of engine oil? CSG has mentioned the dual radiator oil cooler isn't enough for engine oil when tracking, but it may be enough for the transmission... I have no idea if the design is sensitive to oil viscosity but I'm leaning towards "no". Would obviously reach out to JR directly if this passes the forum bullshit test.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk
markubiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2022, 03:10 PM   #177
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Drives: Zenki 37J ZN6
Thanked 9,397 Times in 5,261 Posts
Mentioned: 374 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by markubiak View Post
I had issues with A/T temps across several track days this year, frequently seeing up to 245F even on very cold days. 2019 with bone stock power, no tune (86cup stock class). I've been looking at installation options and have been scratching my head - outside of the Stark Performance kit which appears to be EOL (no email responses) everyone else seems to be doing custom mounting. I have no experience with fabrication and a lot of mounts seem like they may not hold up, especially to lateral G's.

Has anyone considered running the Jackson Racing dual radiator/oil cooler, but using the oil cooler portion for transmission fluid instead of engine oil? CSG has mentioned the dual radiator oil cooler isn't enough for engine oil when tracking, but it may be enough for the transmission... I have no idea if the design is sensitive to oil viscosity but I'm leaning towards "no". Would obviously reach out to JR directly if this passes the forum bullshit test.

Do you have a regular oil cooler installed? If so where?

Not AT cooler related but I did just remount my regular oil cooler using the generic Setrab bracket in a new position and its pretty sturdy. I would think something could be worked out if you spend some time playing with hoses.

"Just like how a strut bar somehow enables you to corner 20MPH faster around a cloverleaf on-ramp, when the reality is, you can do it already but you just don't have to balls to do it." - CSG David
finch1750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2023, 09:02 AM   #178
markubiak

Drives: 2019 Toyota 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by finch1750 View Post
Do you have a regular oil cooler installed? If so where?

Not AT cooler related but I did just remount my regular oil cooler using the generic Setrab bracket in a new position and its pretty sturdy. I would think something could be worked out if you spend some time playing with hoses.
Yep I have the regular Jackson Racing kit for engine oil cooling. It's mounted to the crash bar with their bracket in the dead center of the bumper. I'm mostly concerned with finding a spot to actually fit the cooler that has airflow, maybe if I get something thin like a Setrab 1 series and offset the JR cooler a bit then I would have some space?

markubiak is offline   Reply With Quote