follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides

DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides For all DIYs.

User Tag List

Old 04-29-2014, 10:18 PM   #1
The Sentinel
Project BRZ-Boosted Autos

Drives: MY14 BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Video guide - Installing BlackVue DR550GW-2CH and T-Power C UPS

Hi all,

I've just finished installing my BlackVue DR550GW-2CH and T-Power C UPS.

Here's a video of the process, as well as my tips and tricks on how to do it properly, without effecting airbag operation.

I hope you find this useful.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ts3nMAeNWl8"]Project BRZ - Video 9 - How to install a BlackVue DR550GW-2CH Dashcam and T-Power C - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited by The Sentinel; 07-14-2014 at 01:23 AM.
The Sentinel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to The Sentinel For This Useful Post:
HATED1 (02-10-2015), kthxbai (05-07-2014), piotrr (05-08-2015), willypongtb (04-30-2014), zc06_kisstherain (02-10-2015)
Old 05-08-2014, 03:56 PM   #2
kthxbai

Drives: '13 Whiteout FR-S M/T
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Thank you for this awesome DIY. I got the DR500GW as an anniversary gift from my fiance...who knew he would enlist my Amazon wishlist as a research source! I followed the first part of your DIY and had my blackvue hooked up in less than 5 minutes. This is one of my favorite mods to date and I couldn't be happier!
Old 06-01-2014, 10:19 PM   #3
The Sentinel

Quote:
Originally Posted by kthxbai View Post
Thank you for this awesome DIY. I got the DR500GW as an anniversary gift from my fiance...who knew he would enlist my Amazon wishlist as a research source! I followed the first part of your DIY and had my blackvue hooked up in less than 5 minutes. This is one of my favorite mods to date and I couldn't be happier!
Glad I could help mate. Pretty easy huh!
The Sentinel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Sentinel For This Useful Post:
kthxbai (06-02-2014)
Old 01-14-2015, 09:02 PM   #4
FiRStsc10n
Canadian FR-S Member

Drives: FR-S '10 Series'
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
I've recently installed my Blackvue. I opted to not get the Power Magic because it is rare that I don't leave the car for over a day and I read on here somewhere that people have installed it without for days and no issues with dead-battery.

However I thought it would be as simple as keeping it plugged in when car off and that dc outlet would still work so parking mode could actively carry on. I guess that is not the case, power is dropped. Is this mobile unit what I need to keep it running? Or am I missing something. Does it just run the camera while car is off until the mobile unit is discharged, meaning I still won't need to worry about dead battery?

Thanks in advance for the help.
FiRStsc10n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 11:54 PM   #5
M12Power

Drives: 2015 Firestorm Scion FR-S 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiRStsc10n View Post
I've recently installed my Blackvue. I opted to not get the Power Magic because it is rare that I don't leave the car for over a day and I read on here somewhere that people have installed it without for days and no issues with dead-battery.

However I thought it would be as simple as keeping it plugged in when car off and that dc outlet would still work so parking mode could actively carry on. I guess that is not the case, power is dropped. Is this mobile unit what I need to keep it running? Or am I missing something. Does it just run the camera while car is off until the mobile unit is discharged, meaning I still won't need to worry about dead battery?

Thanks in advance for the help.
Power Magic is generally hardwired through the fuse box and therefore provides constant power to the dash cam even when the ignition is switched off. It does monitor the voltage and will shut off the power to the dash cam if the voltage drops below certain threshold to prevent complete draining of the battery.
M12Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 12:15 AM   #6
M12Power

Drives: 2015 Firestorm Scion FR-S 6MT
I recently installed the BlackVue DR650GW-2CH in my FR-S. The way I routed the cable is a bit different than what The Sentinel did.

Instead of routing the front camera wire through the top of the A pillar, I routed it on the front side of the A pillar by the front windscreen on the passenger side. For the rear camera wire, I did the same but routed it through the driver side, and instead of going along the roof headliner all the way to the back of the car, I had it going down to the floor of the car from the A pillar. From there, it goes along the door sill, comes back up through the B pillar structure to the roof headliner, and then finally through the top of the C pillar to reach the top of rear windscreen. It is definitely the long way around, more cumbersome to do, and probably not as clean, but I wanted to minimize the risks to the airbags as well as the amount of remaining excess wire I had to deal with in the end.

The vendor from whom I bought the dash cam threw in the Power Magic for free, but I didn’t want to deal with the hardwiring, so I bought a Lukas portable UPS for use with parking mode. I think I will need to get a 64GB microSD card though. The 16GB microSD that the camera comes with is definitely way too small.
M12Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 02:21 PM   #7
tinma

Drives: '13 BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
any issues with the blackvue draining your battery using the t-power?
tinma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 04:45 PM   #8
zc06_kisstherain

Drives: SWP BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
nice DIY.
i installed my DR500 back in time with power magic pro. i used add-in fuse and ran the wire driver side A pillar. i also use old blackvue DR350 on back.
zc06_kisstherain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 11:09 PM   #9
The Sentinel

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinma View Post
any issues with the blackvue draining your battery using the t-power?
No. The T-Power only charged when the ignition is on.
tinma (02-12-2015)

Tags
blackvue, dr550gw-2ch, guide, t-power c, video