follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 08-04-2016, 12:40 PM   #15
Chen
Regional Moderator

Drives: 13' ZN6 / 00' AP1 / 20' A90/ 15 EVO
Thanked 1,275 Times in 854 Posts
Mentioned: 307 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I have the Spec-Ds. One of the very first owners of the set. It was a love/hate relationship. Like mentioned above. Cutoff sucks. I felt like what ever I did, It would always point to the sky. w/ the hids it was even worse. I mean great for me, I could see the whole road, but as for everybody else, they would always flash their highbeams at me. The boomerang part was bright, it was a joke during the day same goes w/ the turn signals, but they looked great as the day got darker. After 6 months of ownership, the driver side housing split apart, I tried to bake them to reseal them, no idea what happened. But there goes 400 bucks I'd never get back. Oh also their warranty is 90 days. So good luck getting them replaced. When they worked. It was cool, the boomerang matched 6k HIDS almost perfectly.
Chen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 03:14 PM   #16
SmireyFase

Drives: FR-S White - Smexy.
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chen View Post
I have the Spec-Ds. One of the very first owners of the set. It was a love/hate relationship. Like mentioned above. Cutoff sucks. I felt like what ever I did, It would always point to the sky. w/ the hids it was even worse. I mean great for me, I could see the whole road, but as for everybody else, they would always flash their highbeams at me. The boomerang part was bright, it was a joke during the day same goes w/ the turn signals, but they looked great as the day got darker. After 6 months of ownership, the driver side housing split apart, I tried to bake them to reseal them, no idea what happened. But there goes 400 bucks I'd never get back. Oh also their warranty is 90 days. So good luck getting them replaced. When they worked. It was cool, the boomerang matched 6k HIDS almost perfectly.
asdbjl;sdg
I read all your reviews and posts Chen, stalker-status. As I was googling reviews... It makes me reallly want to stay away from there.. I jsut REALLY like the boomerang... I wanted halos or boomerangs as headlights since forever. But I just don't know how to do anything by myself >.> thinking of maybe just getting winjets and halo-ing them by paying someone professional but I won't even know the price for that either >.> Thanks for sharing though. man oh man.
SmireyFase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 03:27 PM   #17
Chen
Regional Moderator

Drives: 13' ZN6 / 00' AP1 / 20' A90/ 15 EVO
Thanked 1,275 Times in 854 Posts
Mentioned: 307 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmireyFase View Post
asdbjl;sdg
I read all your reviews and posts Chen, stalker-status. As I was googling reviews... It makes me reallly want to stay away from there.. I jsut REALLY like the boomerang... I wanted halos or boomerangs as headlights since forever. But I just don't know how to do anything by myself >.> thinking of maybe just getting winjets and halo-ing them by paying someone professional but I won't even know the price for that either >.> Thanks for sharing though. man oh man.

Lol, I try to be helpful. If you want halos. Its probably just cheaper to bake open your oem ones and add halos.

Also I think fteightysix has an option for them to bake it open and add what leds and stuff.
Chen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 03:29 PM   #18
NyC Zn6

Drives: 10 Series #974 6m/t
Thanked 1,141 Times in 669 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
OP why don't you try to get a set of legit 10 series/Monogram headlights or BRZ headlights?
NyC Zn6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 03:33 PM   #19
FX86
Banned

Drives: on the wrongside of the road
Thanked 2,087 Times in 1,015 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
stay stock and buy LED's for DRLs and low beams
FX86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 03:50 PM   #20
SmireyFase

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyC Zn6 View Post
OP why don't you try to get a set of legit 10 series/Monogram headlights or BRZ headlights?
I was thinking about this. But wouldn't I need vin numbers for either the 10 series or monograms, and the brz headlights... noone wants to part with them :C
Old 08-04-2016, 03:57 PM   #21
SmireyFase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chen View Post
Lol, I try to be helpful. If you want halos. Its probably just cheaper to bake open your oem ones and add halos.

Also I think fteightysix has an option for them to bake it open and add what leds and stuff.
The thing is, I have a friend that sells Spec-D goods as a vendor here in Los Angeles, he's giving me the headlights for 380 (taxed and everything). Trying to decide if the 380 is worth it at all or if I should just get the winjets to compliment my drl strip
Old 08-05-2016, 05:21 PM   #22
KieranH

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
A little off topic, but does anyone know what the key difference is between Crystal Eye headlights and Spec D headlights? The only noticeable difference I can find is that the Crystal Eye headlights have the flowing turn signals.
KieranH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 02:30 AM   #23
XtremeMaC

Drives: Asphalt Grey FR-S
I have the Spec D's as well. the UV did start to peel off after ~1 year. If i'm not too lazy I can take pictures tomorrow.
I was warned about the crappiness of the low/high beams by fteightsix/86speed, thus got the lens swapped with winjets. (was going for murimoto, but turned out to be difficult to install...and rather expensive, maybe one day..) so they are HID.
they look great. I've wired them to run the drl all the time. very happy with them!
Old 08-06-2016, 04:43 AM   #24
michaelneal9900

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by XtremeMaC View Post
I have the Spec D's as well. the UV did start to peel off after ~1 year. If i'm not too lazy I can take pictures tomorrow.
I was warned about the crappiness of the low/high beams by fteightsix/86speed, thus got the lens swapped with winjets. (was going for murimoto, but turned out to be difficult to install...and rather expensive, maybe one day..) so they are HID.
they look great. I've wired them to run the drl all the time. very happy with them!
Could you tell me how you wired it for DRLs all the time? I couldn't figure it out... Or send pictures that would be nice
michaelneal9900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 01:00 PM   #25
XtremeMaC

Drives: Asphalt Grey FR-S
for a long while I couldn't get it to work no matter which instruction I followed..
bought diodes, recorded every voltage/resistance etc. tried multiple configs, either got park/hi or lo only... should have paid the $50 to get it preconfigured..

Then I stumbled across this and it's working great right now. Visually, I still need to nicely route the wire from the fuse box, but no biggies..

more instructions here: http://www.ft86speedfactory.com/spec...-frs-1922.html
I'll have to remember how I did it exactly. will let you know
Old 08-06-2016, 02:46 PM   #26
michaelneal9900

Garage
Thanks for the info! I'm going to try wiring the positives to that spot in the fuse box. Although the instructions on ft86speedfactory said to wire the grounds to the battery... I'm going to keep my grounds where they are to save time but that shouldn't matter right? What difference would it make to ground it to the battery rather than somewhere in the engine bay?
Old 08-06-2016, 07:28 PM   #27
michaelneal9900

Garage
This is how my Spec Ds are holding up after about 2 years

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-22-2016, 10:18 PM   #28
Teseo