follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 06-05-2021, 09:07 PM   #15
T_Squadrito

Drives: White 2014 brz
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Project_1796 View Post
Another option is to purchase a 1000 watt+ car power invertor you plug into 12v outlet port while car is running to clean up the water and find some gel packs that absorb moisture.
I was thinking about that but as others have pointed out, I am not sure how well that will work with the foam pads underneath. A long time ago when I worked retail we had this stuff that was hyper absorbent that we used on spills. It was like a powder that was so absorbant it could practically leach blood through your skin. I doubt even that and a wet/dry vac would be enough with the foam there. I suspet the seat will be coming out on wednesday but well see.
T_Squadrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 03:30 PM   #16
T_Squadrito

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
the seats are installed with 'reverse e-torx'. you'll need a set like this to pull the passenger seat.

https://www.harborfreight.com/38-in-...-pc-56342.html
The plot thickens... So, Someone DEFINITELY did some work before me, because I got the sockets and 3/4 of the bolts are E10 and then randomly one of them is an... E... 11? Its horribly stripped and looks like someone attempted to drive a 12mm in with a 10mm socket and somehow they made it work but it bassically deburred the edge of the bolt and rounded it off so a 10 doesnt fit because, well, E12 bolt, and the E12 jiggles a little like its too big. I think I am just gonan have to use the E12 and some WD40 on that one and go really slow. That, or break out vice grips. I am sure one of the 2 options will work.

It's my under standing I can pull the carpeting for just the passenger side? I really dont need to take all of it out unless I NEED to take all of it out. I would rather just get that side out and dry it and call it a day.
Old 06-06-2021, 04:08 PM   #17
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
the transmission tunnel ought to have kept everything on just the passenger side.
Old 06-06-2021, 04:34 PM   #18
T_Squadrito

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
the transmission tunnel ought to have kept everything on just the passenger side.
Thats what I figured but I havent actually taken a look to see if the carpet is connected over the transmission tunnel or if it is in 2 parts where I can remove just one half.
Old 06-06-2021, 06:28 PM   #19
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
oh, i see. the carpet is connected at the rear seat floors between the sides. but a razor blade could make an incision there underneath the plastic cover with no one else the wiser in the future.
Old 06-06-2021, 07:00 PM   #20
LimitedSlip
Senior Citizen Member

Drives: Then-1977 Celica GT Now-2017 860SE
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by T_Squadrito View Post
. . . to see if the carpet is connected over the transmission tunnel . . .
The carpet is connected between the shifter and e-brake and also in front of the rear seat cushion. Maybe other places, I don't know.

Here are a couple pictures from this thread (which has a wealth of interior removal pictures, might take a bit to load):

https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53511
Attached Images

LimitedSlip is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LimitedSlip For This Useful Post:
T_Squadrito (06-06-2021)
Old 06-06-2021, 08:08 PM   #21
T_Squadrito

Quote:
Originally Posted by LimitedSlip View Post
The carpet is connected between the shifter and e-brake and also in front of the rear seat cushion. Maybe other places, I don't know.

Here are a couple pictures from this thread (which has a wealth of interior removal pictures, might take a bit to load):

https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53511
I see. Yeah thats not bad though. I will take a look at the thread. I was hoping to do it tomorrow but it is supposed to be thunderstorming so depending on how bad the rain is I may or may not deal with it if I think I can get it all done during a dry patch. I dont want to wait til next weekend but its supposed to be raining for like 4 days straight because the universe hates me this week I guess.

I may go with LimitedSlip's suggestion and take a razor blade to it. I think it is concealed by the center console so it shouldnt be an issue to just hack it off in the middle. I know its not really hard work but it is a lot of time to sit there and pull all the seats out in a apartment complex parking lot so id like to minimize all of that as much as possible.
The Following User Says Thank You to T_Squadrito For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (06-06-2021)
Old 06-07-2021, 02:17 PM   #22
T_Squadrito

Sooooooooo..... Remember how I said they stripped the 4th bolt.... welp. Its really in there now. I dried vice grips. Nope. I tried drilling it out, and drilling out broke the bolt extractor inside of it. I have never seen a stupider bolt in my life. This was tightened down WAYYYYY beyond 39 foot pounds. No wonder it stripped. This thing locked up a 200 foot pound impact and broke a damn cobalt AND titanium extractor. The first one broke on the shaft and was easy to get out, the second one broke inside the bolt so now I gotta drill that out too. Went through half a can of WD40 trying to drill that shit out. and now basically gotta start all over.

I guess I will return to drilling later after the rain stops...

EDIT: I found a local shop to get that screw out. They drilled 2 holes in the flange and were able to get it out. I started pulling up on the side of the carpet and there is just trash everywhere. Rusty tools, CO2 canisters (IDK what for but, just, why) and a number of other annoying things. It seems water has been getting under there for a while because even jus tfrom the corner I could get up it looks hidious. I am having my friend grab some mold and mildew remover spray and I am just gonna soak it once I whipe up. Its not an inherently new issue I dont think. Just new to me.

Last edited by T_Squadrito; 06-07-2021 at 05:03 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to T_Squadrito For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (06-07-2021)