follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] For all off-topic discussion topics.

User Tag List

Old 06-13-2021, 11:33 AM   #15
bcj
Geo Tyrebighter Esq

Drives: '13 scion fr-s
Thanked 4,981 Times in 2,197 Posts
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Any company in the US can legally require urine testing any time they want on any schedule they want.
They can legally fire you for non-compliance.
The Following User Says Thank You to bcj For This Useful Post:
Spuds (06-13-2021)
Old 06-13-2021, 11:35 AM   #16
Atropine

Drives: 2021 Toyota Supra 2020 4Runner
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
OK full disclosure from me.

I am ex-military and got Bell's Palsy from another "completely safe and tested" vaccine...The Anthrax vaccine. BTW that particular version of that vaccine never made it to market and never passed all of the trials.

Food for thought, Moderna has yet to have a vaccine pass trials yet either. Most of their vaccines in the past failed due to long term side effects. Can look this up if you don't believe me.

So I don't trust this. I might just be pre-disposed to having a reaction.

@Transport3r Not trying to get into a pissing contest with anyone, that is why I was respectful in how I phrased my question.

Question: was the Wuhan lab leak theory a "conspiracy theory" to you 14 months ago? Or were you open to the idea that maybe the experts don't know everything/fog of war etc etc.
Atropine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 11:36 AM   #17
Atropine

Drives: 2021 Toyota Supra 2020 4Runner
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuds View Post
All the intelligent people I know irl from all parts of the political spectrum have been vaccinated.
A ton of Doctors up here in Idaho are refusing the vaccine btw.

It could be a regional thing?
Atropine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 12:13 PM   #18
weederr33
Airborne at your service

Drives: '17 BRZ Series.Yellow
Thanked 5,587 Times in 2,929 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
All the intelligent people I know irl from all parts of the political spectrum have been vaccinated.
Well I am in Texas lol
2020 has also shown people who used to be intelligent aren't always the smartest outside certain fields.

MS, CSCS, TSAC-F, CPT
weederr33 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to weederr33 For This Useful Post:
Spuds (06-13-2021)
Old 06-13-2021, 12:39 PM   #19
Spuds
The Dictater

Drives: '13 Red Scion FRS
Thanked 12,431 Times in 6,147 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atropine View Post
OK full disclosure from me.

I am ex-military and got Bell's Palsy from another "completely safe and tested" vaccine...The Anthrax vaccine. BTW that particular version of that vaccine never made it to market and never passed all of the trials.

Food for thought, Moderna has yet to have a vaccine pass trials yet either. Most of their vaccines in the past failed due to long term side effects. Can look this up if you don't believe me.

So I don't trust this. I might just be pre-disposed to having a reaction.

@Transport3r Not trying to get into a pissing contest with anyone, that is why I was respectful in how I phrased my question.

Question: was the Wuhan lab leak theory a "conspiracy theory" to you 14 months ago? Or were you open to the idea that maybe the experts don't know everything/fog of war etc etc.
Then get the J&J or Pfizer? I know someone that refused to get Moderna or Pfizer because they didn't like mRNA tech for one reason or another, but got the J&J when it became available to them.
Spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 12:43 PM   #20
Spuds
The Dictater

Drives: '13 Red Scion FRS
Thanked 12,431 Times in 6,147 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atropine View Post
A ton of Doctors up here in Idaho are refusing the vaccine btw.

It could be a regional thing?
Maybe. Though a national survey would put your region in the extreme minority if that were the case.

https://www.ama-assn.org/press-cente...ainst-covid-19
Spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 01:39 PM   #21
spike021

Drives: '17 Limited BRZ CWP w/ PP
Thanked 6,471 Times in 3,207 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quote:
As for going back to the office, as I have been saying all along, it is very hard to form effective teams remotely. If people already know each other, then yeah, you can probably continue to work remotely if the job allows for it. However, you add someone new once in a while and suddenly you have a team that just isn't as effective anymore.

Regardless of what the tech companies try to tell us, we cannot really know someone through a screen. At least that's how I see it.

My personal situation is that I joined a company in summer 2019 that was all remote work anyway (startup, I was employee #12). I find myself personally detached form a lot of the people I work with, and I still have a stronger bond with my coworkers from my previous company (large company with all in person work) than anyone I currently work with. I would like to go back into the office at least a few times per week (we have a local office now)
Yuuup. I joined two weeks prior to WFH starting last year and I think it's one of the main reasons this job has been total shit.

Anyway to answer the original question, my company itself says around July we will start coming in three days a week. If we want to WFH more often than that we have to become full time remote employees (not sure if that affects pay scale or anything but we would lose our physical desk).

My own org in said company seems to be a bit lighter. We're being told it'll be the reverse, so 2 days at the office per week or maybe even every other week. My boss' boss said he isn't even planning to come in till September and that's if it's ok for his kids to be vaccinated.

The big thing is most of us still take public transportation so until people feel comfortable my org at least seems fairly chill about it compared to the company itself.

Also I'll have a new puppy so I'll have an excuse to keep working from home for a while lol. But I do prefer working at the office (once things are more settled).
It sounds to me like the delicate, metallic sounds of piston skirts slapping against the cylinder walls
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Now, if it was three feet long and you were using all that leverage
spike021 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to spike021 For This Useful Post:
Spuds (06-13-2021)
Old 06-13-2021, 02:01 PM   #22
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quote:
'intelligent' is a very scenario-specific term. I've known doctorates that do their own taxes because they can crunch the numbers more accurately than lost accountants, but they can't figure out for the life of them how to setup a table saw, swing a hammer, or check that 2 intersecting boards are square to each other.

Was just at a campground that a 20+year structural engineer and his wife pulled in, and he had no concept how to level a camper...
NoHaveMSG (06-13-2021), spike021 (06-14-2021), Spuds (06-13-2021)
Old 06-13-2021, 02:02 PM   #23
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spike021 View Post
Also I'll have a new puppy so I'll have an excuse to keep working from home for a while lol. But I do prefer working at the office (once things are more settled).
So that means you have new pictures, right?!?
spike021 (06-13-2021)
Old 06-13-2021, 02:11 PM   #24
Arthur-A

Drives: 2020 BRZ/86, 2020 BMW 330i
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I like working from home. If a work can be done remotely, why all that waste of time and money on a commute? Overloading the roads with worthless traffic, etc. About not being effective is a bullshit. You can reach out to anyone via whatever chat system you have. Sometimes even faster that walking all the way to the other end of the office/other floor. Need to show something specific? Screen share. And don't get me started on that obnoxious office bathrooms.

You're more productive if you're comfortable. If someone likes sitting in the office that's fine, just don't enforce this BS on other people. There has to be a choice.
Arthur-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 02:22 PM   #25
spike021

Drives: '17 Limited BRZ CWP w/ PP
Thanked 6,471 Times in 3,207 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur-A View Post
I like working from home. If a work can be done remotely, why all that waste of time and money on a commute? Overloading the roads with worthless traffic, etc. About not being effective is a bullshit. You can reach out to anyone via whatever chat system you have. Sometimes even faster that walking all the way to the other end of the office/other floor. Need to show something specific? Screen share. And don't get me started on that obnoxious office bathrooms.

You're more productive if you're comfortable. If someone likes sitting in the office that's fine, just don't enforce this BS on other people. There has to be a choice.
Honestly this is an extremely biased opinion.

While I don't disagree on the commute, commuting (assuming public transportation) can have its benefits too. It gives you an hour or so of time where you can rest/do a crossword/etc. and unwind (if you choose to work during your commute in addition to your normal hours then that's not very smart).

We use Slack, most of my teammates ignore it. Not only that, but random people from elsewhere in the company spam us a lot at times for inconsequential things. There's nothing like being able to quickly glance at your teammate to see how focused they are, see if you can quickly mention to them that you'd like to pair on or discuss something, etc. At the office I could even close Slack and completely ignore the idiots and still speak to my teammates in person.

Plus on conference calls even with "perfect" Internet connections, there's always some latency, which results in you pausing to let someone speak, they don't speak right away and the latency delays their speech even more, so you start speaking again because it seems like they won't. And then you wind up speaking over them or vice versa.

Or people's mics are TERRIBLE and their BT connections keep dropping out (my boss only uses BT headphones and they constantly die or have a bunch of interference). Two of my teammates only mumble when they talk, so their mics can't capture their voice very well. Etc etc.

And as far as bathrooms, that sucks for you man but I've worked in.. 5 separate locations now over the past 5 years? No issues with any of the bathrooms. All very clean and well-stocked with necessary TP.
It sounds to me like the delicate, metallic sounds of piston skirts slapping against the cylinder walls
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Now, if it was three feet long and you were using all that leverage
spike021 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to spike021 For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (06-14-2021), Spuds (06-13-2021)
Old 06-14-2021, 11:34 AM   #26
Sapphireho
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Drives: '15 ultramarine
Thanked 18,240 Times in 8,609 Posts
Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
I retired 10 months before the covid shutdown. I often wonder what my job would have been like had I stayed a few more years.
Sapphireho is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sapphireho For This Useful Post:
spike021 (06-14-2021), Tcoat (06-14-2021)
Old 06-14-2021, 11:45 AM   #27
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spike021 View Post
Honestly this is an extremely biased opinion.

While I don't disagree on the commute, commuting (assuming public transportation) can have its benefits too. It gives you an hour or so of time where you can rest/do a crossword/etc. and unwind (if you choose to work during your commute in addition to your normal hours then that's not very smart).

We use Slack, most of my teammates ignore it. Not only that, but random people from elsewhere in the company spam us a lot at times for inconsequential things. There's nothing like being able to quickly glance at your teammate to see how focused they are, see if you can quickly mention to them that you'd like to pair on or discuss something, etc. At the office I could even close Slack and completely ignore the idiots and still speak to my teammates in person.

Plus on conference calls even with "perfect" Internet connections, there's always some latency, which results in you pausing to let someone speak, they don't speak right away and the latency delays their speech even more, so you start speaking again because it seems like they won't. And then you wind up speaking over them or vice versa.

Or people's mics are TERRIBLE and their BT connections keep dropping out (my boss only uses BT headphones and they constantly die or have a bunch of interference). Two of my teammates only mumble when they talk, so their mics can't capture their voice very well. Etc etc.

And as far as bathrooms, that sucks for you man but I've worked in.. 5 separate locations now over the past 5 years? No issues with any of the bathrooms. All very clean and well-stocked with necessary TP.
And if you are in Canada then some Government officials are either oblivious to how video conferencing works or have a problem and need counseling.

https://www.mtlblog.com/en-ca/news/m...entary-session

https://www.cnn.com/2021/05/28/ameri...ntl/index.html
spike021 (06-14-2021)
Old 06-14-2021, 11:56 AM   #28
x808drifter
LMGTFY

Drives: 13 FRS, 91 Miata
Thanked 3,646 Times in 1,625 Posts
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapphireho View Post
I retired 10 months before the covid shutdown. I often wonder what my job would have been like had I stayed a few more years.
I wonder what it would have been like to WFH.
Nobody on graves got to at my job.
x808drifter is offline   Reply With Quote