follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 03-04-2014, 11:31 AM   #141
Calavera

Drives: Scion FR-S Whiteout
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Sounds like bad install or damaged somewhere. Mine purrs like a kitten and roars when I ask. Love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
pcporo (03-04-2014), racecat (03-04-2014)
Old 03-04-2014, 12:07 PM   #142
AJ

Drives: ’13 Asphalt FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calavera View Post
Sounds like bad install or damaged somewhere. Mine purrs like a kitten and roars when I ask. Love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Factory install, everything's tight. It's not a volume issue per se, it's a drone or tone issue. Round mufflers almost always have this problem in my experience. Plenty of options out there that would've negated this issue. Just a phoned-in effort.
AJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 12:45 PM   #143
Thorpedo
The SquadWhisperer

Drives: '13 Ultramarine FR-S (STX)
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ View Post
Factory install, everything's tight. It's not a volume issue per se, it's a drone or tone issue. Round mufflers almost always have this problem in my experience. Plenty of options out there that would've negated this issue. Just a phoned-in effort.
Generalizing your problem to round mufflers is pretty funny. There is a problem specifically with your system. I myself and 1 friend have this and neither of us have complaints about drone or volume. It passes the wife test for both of us on a daily basis.
Thorpedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 03:22 PM   #144
AJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorpedo View Post
Generalizing your problem to round mufflers is pretty funny. There is a problem specifically with your system. I myself and 1 friend have this and neither of us have complaints about drone or volume. It passes the wife test for both of us on a daily basis.
Not really. The fact is, that a round muffler doesnt have the space or volume to house the baffles that would be required to eliminate the resonance. There is nothing wrong with the system besides the fact that it’s a poor design. Go hit a mountain pass for a couple hours at 65 and get back to me. I’m not the only person out there that has noticed this. Like I said, it’s not a volume thing, it’s a droning or resonance at a certain RPM range, not above it, or below it. Mine will be available for purchase just as soon as I can find a stock system to replace it with. This system doesnt add any power to speak-of anyway, just a bunch of noise. Maybe if I was 16 that would be cool.
Old 03-04-2014, 03:28 PM   #145
Carlitoz3

Drives: 2013 MT Asphalt FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Any diffusers out their that don't have that noticeable gab with this exhaust?
Carlitoz3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 03:35 PM   #146
TM

Drives: DGM BRZ 6MT
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Garage
I have the TRD exhaust and I don't notice any drone from it. It is silent when cruising below 3,000rpm and roars when it goes over 4,000rpm. I downshift more often now just to hear the satisfying roar.

That being said, I only have it because it came with the car when I purchased it. I'm planning to switch to another exhaust when I have the chance because I prefer round tips over the D-shaped tips.
TM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 04:04 PM   #147
Thorpedo
The SquadWhisperer

@AJ

Quote:
The fact is, that a round muffler doesnt have the space or volume to house the baffles that would be required to eliminate the resonance.
Not even going to bother, you clearly don't have the faintest clue about the subject.

Quote:
There is nothing wrong with the system besides the fact that it’s a poor design. Go hit a mountain pass for a couple hours at 65 and get back to me.
I commonly do 600+km hwy round trips in the summer to AutoX events etc and have no trouble with drone. As stated before it passes the wife test 100% with me, and the friend who owns it. I have done the full Cabot Trail twice with it, and as others have stated, have no issues with drone.

Quote:
I’m not the only person out there that has noticed this. Like I said, it’s not a volume thing, it’s a droning or resonance at a certain RPM range, not above it, or below it.
Durrrrr Dur Dur Durr? Saying it is poorly designed because you subjectively think drone is an issue is . As posted by others, lots of us have no issues with drone whatsoever.
Old 03-04-2014, 04:07 PM   #148
AJ

Hey, don't be an asshole. I am just stating the facts about my experience. I'm not personally attacking you, I'm also not making ignorant statements about your knowledge. Go fuck yourself
Old 03-04-2014, 05:04 PM   #149
Thorpedo
The SquadWhisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ View Post
Hey, don't be an asshole. I am just stating the facts about my experience. I'm not personally attacking you, I'm also not making ignorant statements about your knowledge. Go fuck yourself

Just to be clear, I don't care if it is someone hating on an exhaust I own. I am happy with it and you're not, no worries there.

What I don't like is when people spread bad info. If you are "just stating the facts about your experiences" then you wouldn't be making claims about how it is "poorly designed" because it is round (lmfao). Yes, I am making statements about your knowledge, specifically the lack of it.
Old 03-04-2014, 05:09 PM   #150
AJ

I could tell you about my knowledge, but you think you know already, I won’t waste my time. I regret that we are unable to discuss your manner of communicating face to face. The internet is chock full of experts like you.
Old 03-04-2014, 07:49 PM   #151
roddy

Drives: '13 Ultramarine
Thanked 1,165 Times in 685 Posts
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
I noticed some drone with mine as well. Not a lot, but some. I didn't find it as offensive as @AJ, but it is there. I was a little surprised at this from an optional OEM endorsed Exhaust. What I did find offensive is the puny size of the front half of the mid-pipe. I had a 2.5" mid pipe made up with an 18" core Magnaflow Resonator. That made the tone a little deeper, got rid of some tininess, and pretty much killed the drone.

Everyone's ear and tolerance is a little different...
Old 03-05-2014, 01:55 AM   #152
subiestyle

Drives: 2014 Monogram FR-S White MT
so does the trd exhaust ever end up sounding like the stock setup after using it a while?
subiestyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 03:06 AM   #153
SliverBrz

Drives: Silver 2013 BRZ limited
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by subiestyle View Post
so does the trd exhaust ever end up sounding like the stock setup after using it a while?
No exhaust gets quieter over time it's he opposite
SliverBrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 03:07 AM   #154
SliverBrz

Drives: Silver 2013 BRZ limited
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by roddy View Post
I noticed some drone with mine as well. Not a lot, but some. I didn't find it as offensive as @AJ, but it is there. I was a little surprised at this from an optional OEM endorsed Exhaust. What I did find offensive is the puny size of the front half of the mid-pipe. I had a 2.5" mid pipe made up with an 18" core Magnaflow Resonator. That made the tone a little deeper, got rid of some tininess, and pretty much killed the drone.

Everyone's ear and tolerance is a little different...
Did they cut and use the original flanges ? Or we're new ones made for your 2.5"
SliverBrz is offline   Reply With Quote