follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing)

Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing) Everything related to the mechanical maintenance of the FR-S and BRZ

User Tag List

Old 05-02-2012, 03:44 PM   #15
MrFRsLa

Drives: 2012 Camry SE, 95 Honda Civic
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Would sliding it out of the dealer's driveway be a bad idea?
MrFRsLa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MrFRsLa For This Useful Post:
350zgoingFRS_lol (05-06-2014), kappaknight (07-09-2012), NYC BRZ (05-22-2012), RMStringer (02-11-2013)
Old 05-02-2012, 04:15 PM   #16
denkigrve
Random Internet dad

Drives: 2013 FRS and 2010 Mini Cooper
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Interesting. Thanks for the replies. Seems like there are two schools of thought for this. The moto-man approach makes the most logical sense in getting the cylinders hot enough to make the rings make constant contact and seal them the most optimal way, but that's supposed to be done at the factory already... I think Moto-man's approach is for motors you build at home as opposed to a factory built motor that is run through a testing process prior to shipment. HRm... I'll have to keep doing some reading.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFRsLa View Post
Would sliding it out of the dealer's driveway be a bad idea?
lol, the whole reason I'm inquiring is because of come side comments you made to me. :P I'm actually considering flying down to LA now to get a car from you if my dealer keeps blowing me off.
denkigrve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 04:30 PM   #17
MrFRsLa

Drives: 2012 Camry SE, 95 Honda Civic
Garage
Exclamation

lol, the whole reason I'm inquiring is because of come side comments you made to me. :P I'm actually considering flying down to LA now to get a car from you if my dealer keeps blowing me off.[/QUOTE]

^^^^^^^^^^ this is BAD car business!

My personal thoughts on breaks ins, is that they are a joke! (Someone throws something) (Ducks). I have just recently turned 23. I could careless whats good for my car. I am going to drive it how I see fit. I bought it right! Mark my words I will pull it out of my dealers driveway SLIDE it and jam up the 405.
MrFRsLa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MrFRsLa For This Useful Post:
Surok (08-26-2012)
Old 05-02-2012, 04:33 PM   #18
Subie
Seņor Member

Drives: 2013 SSM DZE BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Quote:
lol, the whole reason I'm inquiring is because of come side comments you made to me. :P I'm actually considering flying down to LA now to get a car from you if my dealer keeps blowing me off.

My personal thoughts on breaks ins, is that they are a joke! (Someone throws something) (Ducks). I have just recently turned 23. I could careless whats good for my car. I am going to drive it how I see fit. I bought it right! Mark my words I will pull it out of my dealers driveway SLIDE it and jam up the 405.
Marked.
Subie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 05:11 PM   #19
OrbitalEllipses
Banned

Drives: Attitude
Thanked 4,889 Times in 2,902 Posts
Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:

My personal thoughts on breaks ins, is that they are a joke! (Someone throws something) (Ducks). I have just recently turned 23. I could careless whats good for my car. I am going to drive it how I see fit. I bought it right! Mark my words I will pull it out of my dealers driveway SLIDE it and jam up the 405.[/QUOTE]

Now are you going to honor the warranty of the guy who powerslides out of your lot? Don't think so, cuz that's "abuse".
OrbitalEllipses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 05:11 PM   #20
Dizz1e

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ (WRB)
If a "HARD" break in is optimal then why would the owner's manual for the car state otherwise....

Like everybody else, I want to get the most out of the car and this seems to be a very controversial topic.

I'm still very open to both sides, but the owners manual has more credibility IMO.

Another thing is the cars come with synthetic oil straight off the delivery truck which is another factor a lot of people will argue about whether to use break in oil or the "slipperier" synthetic.

Any more info is appreciated as I am still on the fence. I posted that link (yes I know it was for the VW Golf TDI) but I just thought it was applicable since they actually brought up about that ghetto 1990's mototuneUSA website that a lot of people seem to reference.
Dizz1e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 05:13 PM   #21
SkullWorks
Banned

Drives: SSM LT MT BRZ
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I'll be there with video then lol
SkullWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 09:50 PM   #22
ngabdala
Vortech Supercharged

Drives: WRB BRZ 6MT LTD
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
I am going with what the manual suggests. I would trust the engineers that make the engine to give me the best advice on how to break it in.

Be careful if you go on a test drive not to beat on your soon to be car.

If you decide the car isn't for you then drive it back to the dealership like it deserves to die.
ngabdala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 09:52 PM   #23
Subie
Seņor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngabdala View Post
I am going with what the manual suggests. I would trust the engineers that make the engine to give me the best advice on how to break it in.

Be careful if you go on a test drive not to beat on your soon to be car.

If you decide the car isn't for you then drive it back to the dealership like it deserves to die.
I agree with the first bit...

As to the second, how about a little courtesy for the next guy?
Subie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 09:54 PM   #24
ngabdala
Vortech Supercharged

Drives: WRB BRZ 6MT LTD
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subie View Post
I agree with the first bit...

As to the second, how about a little courtesy for the next guy?
That was sarcasm.
ngabdala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 09:55 PM   #25
Subie
Seņor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngabdala View Post
That was sarcasm.
Sorry; it's hard to tell on the 'net.