follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 09-09-2013, 03:44 AM   #15
serialk11r

Drives: '06 AM V8V Coupe
Thanked 1,074 Times in 759 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
On a sedan/coupe sure, on an SUV that just looks ridiculous.
serialk11r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 11:57 PM   #16
Sasquachulator
Pavement Grey

Drives: 2020 Toyota 86 GT, 2017 BMW X1
Thanked 2,220 Times in 1,203 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprintertrueno86 View Post
Look at those new F-sport model front ends. Super aggressive styling for such a conservative car brand imo. I do like the change though, Lexus cars are really starting to appeal to me.
Yeah the new Lexus predator face is polarizing like never seen before.

Sure is distinctive and super aggressive compared to a lot of its competition.

This concept is also super crazy overstyled. But its got an attractive overall shape to it (kind of mimics the RX, at least from the rear window).
Those massive flares are definitely going to get toned down and the rear end itself is going to be toned down for sure. Its just way too damn out there to be a production car.

BTW the NX will most likely debut with the new 2.0 turbo motor that Toyota/Lexus has been working on in addition to a hybrid powertrain (I think Lexus has trademarked NX200t and NX300h names). Hopefully it puts out at least 250hp.

Considering the only other small luxury SUV i'd even bother to look at is the Land Rover Evoque (the BMW X1, and Infiniti JX blends in too much, the Acura ZDX was somewhat of a flop cuz its too compromising), I think the Lexus has a good chance to make a statement. Distinctive styling and the Lexus badge.
Sasquachulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 12:10 AM   #17
rice_classic

Drives: Nevermorange FRS
Thanked 4,200 Times in 1,803 Posts
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
The chief designer at Lexus needs to be punched in the teeth. Or maybe he has been so many times that his mouth looks like the front grill of a new Lexus.
Old 09-10-2013, 09:11 AM   #18
Ryuu0u
(=^・ェ・^=)

Drives: 2013 FRS, '08 GSXR 600
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
No matter how ugly it looks soccer moms will flock to buy it.
Ryuu0u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 08:01 PM   #19
vh_supra26
Site Moderator

Drives: Supra
Thanked 2,181 Times in 964 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
2015 Lexus NX 200t F Sport review notes

Quote:
LEXUS’ GOOD FIRST CRACK AT THE COMPACT LUXURY SEGMENT

EDITOR WES RAYNAL: I’ve been wanting to drive this since I saw it as a concept a couple Tokyo shows ago. I wondered: Can a Toyota RAV4 work as a luxury ute? I figured if any automaker could pull it off, Toyota could.

I have to say, the NX is a supremely quiet car overall; in fact, this is where it excels, as I expected. There’s only the slightest road noise, the ride is comfortable (as I’m sure Lexus buyers demand) and it feels like nearly the perfect size -- not too big, not too small.

The turbo four (Lexus’ first turbo) has good power above 3,000 rpm and no hint of turbo lag as long as I kept the revs up. The steering is decent, while freeway speed stability surprised me -- in a good way. I guess maybe I thought it’d drive a bit more like the compact it is, a little jumpier or something; but no, it’s nice and smooth. Push it a little and it understeers, but I expected that.

Interior build quality is high (again, as I’d expect) and driving position is excellent, as are the seats. Everything is within easy reach, but then remember, this is a RAV4-sized trucklet. The touch pad drove me mad -- it is way too sensitive, but you don’t need to mess with it for controlling the radio and such because that can be done with steering-wheel buttons.

Lexus just keeps rockin’ and rollin’ with sales up nearly 4,000 units this year so far. The 8,386 Encores Buick sold in January and February trump the 5,478 NXs sold in the same period, but the NX beats the BMW X3 (4,465), Mercedes GLA (3,751), Audi Q3 (1,919) and Porsche Macan (1,420).

This is Lexus’ first shot at a compact luxury ute, and I’d say it’s a very good effort. It has the refinement and the certain reliability to be a winner, or at least a winner to Lexus buyers. Give it time -- I’m thinking by year’s end, it’s on the top of the heap.

DIGITAL EDITOR ANDREW STOY: Every manufacturer wants to get into the compact crossover game, but it’s amazing how far off some of the efforts have been. For all the aspirants: Here’s your benchmark.

I know, I’m as surprised as you are. Not that Lexus built a perfectly nice crossover, mind you -- the company, along with parent Toyota -- has been made a fortune doing “perfectly nice.” But the NX drifts into that rare space known as “desirable.”

Where the Lexus excels is in its powertrain. Apparently it’s quite difficult to make a small turbo four into a luxury car engine -- witness attempts by BMW, Mercedes, Audi and Cadillac; some (Audi and Cadillac) are better than others (BMW and especially Mercedes). Lexus nailed it, and the NX provides a perfect blend of effortless power with no discernable turbo lag, no wonky dual-clutch transmission and no NVH penalty. The drive mode selector functions as a powertrain fine-tuning knob rather than a personality-change switch -- eco mode slows things down a bit, sport mode speeds things up a bit, and normal is just about perfect. The NX never tries to be something it’s not.

If it were my purchase, I would probably skip the F Sport package. While I’m sure it increases handling capability on a track or quick mountain road, the sport-tuned suspension combined with the short wheelbase makes for a pretty lively ride along Detroit roads -- if you live somewhere blessed with smooth ribbons of asphalt, your experience may vary. Fortunately, Lexus sees fit to offer many of the F Sport’s comfort and convenience options as standalone items -- you don’t have to buy a $4,000 “winter package” to get a heated steering wheel or a 36-speaker stereo to get a moonroof -- a refreshing change for anyone accustomed to German car option extortion.

If there’s a fly in the ointment (and there always is), it's Lexus’ Enform controller. The company has gone from the weird mouse-like knob of previous models to a truly unfortunate touch-pad system. If infotainment interfaces are more art than science, this is a preschooler’s finger painting. Fortunately there are knobs and buttons for 90 percent of controls, so you should only have to interact with the touchpad for initial setup and navigation controls.

Despite that, the NX is my favorite compact crossover on the market today. It’s a car with personality from a brand more associated with clinical precision, and a daily driver I’d be happy to call my own.

WEST COAST EDITOR MARK VAUGHN: “They want 43 grand for a RAV4?”

You could be forgiven for looking at this nice little crossover and blurting out something like that. Yes, this cute little scooter shares its floorpan with the entry-level Toyota cute ute, but it builds up on it from there and it’s ultimately a pretty useful, and even luxurious, crossover. By the time you add up all the stuff that was on my particular NX 200t out here in California, you can maybe see why the cost is so darn high -- it’s within nickels and dimes of the Audi Q3, and depending on how you load it up or down, it could be a crossover competitor with the BMW X1. Or maybe you won’t see the value and you’ll buy a RAV4 or a Buick Encore. But people seem to love Lexus vehicles, so why not give the people what they want?

I enjoyed my week in this high-priced luxury utility vehicle (perhaps because I didn’t have to pay $42,980 for it). I was able to stuff a bicycle in the back without removing the front wheel, for instance, which seems to be my benchmark for SUV worthiness lately. Thus stuffed, I was able to drive the NX up twisting mountain roads to trailheads a lot quicker than I would have with other SUVs or pickups that could likewise hold a bicycle. One day I even drove it a few miles on a wide, flat dirt road, drifting the front-wheel driver just a little through corners. So you can have fun with this if you seek it out and can play around with lift-throttle oversteer at higher speeds in the dirt.

On pavement, I particularly enjoyed the turbo engine. If you’re cruising along at 60, 70 or 80 and want to pass someone, a partial throttle increase will spool up the turbo and off you go. While the 0-60 may be down in the 7.0 range, passing is something of a joy.

The inside was comfortable, too, with snuggly tight seats and a surprising amount of room for such an outwardly small vehicle.

The infotainment system was really something. I wanted to change the radio station, for instance. This was not an intuitive process. Go ahead, say that I grew up with radio knobs and I just don’t understand all these newfangled interfaces. Well, maybe the people who have 43 large to spend on an entry-level crossover are also used to radio knobs. Whatever. I got out the owner’s manual and pulled out the separate, 396-page (!) book that covered just the infotainment system. The opening scud fired by this book is on page 4, which is titled, “How To Read This Manual.” I am not making that up. You now have to read about how to read about changing your radio station. I was able to sort it out in a few minutes and loaded a bunch of radio stations into the presets, but come on, man, 396 pages on the radio? I grew to like the unique touchpad square that replaces the big fat control knob found on most systems, and I linked my Apple iPhone 6 right away, so more time spent in this would have had me mastering all the human-machine interfaces soon enough. (OK, this is now toward the end of the week and I must say that my early-week optimism about this infotainment interface was misplaced. I hate the thing. It makes no sense and anyone short of a software engineer will take a baseball bat to it within a week. If you buy this, insist that someone in the dealership who understands it spends a couple hours or a day with you teaching you how to use it. Because you will torch that 396-page manual and laugh maniacally while doing it.)

Apart from the infotainment pain and the sticker shock, I liked the NX. But I can’t help thinking I might have enjoyed the BMW X1 and Audi Q3 more, though I haven’t driven those yet. If you’re looking around in this entry luxury segment, drive those others and tell me what you think, will ya?

Options: Navigation package including remote touch interface, Lexus Enform remote, Lexus Enform destination (includes 1-year trial subscription), App suite 10-speaker Lexus premium sound system ($2,140); premium F Sport package including heated front seats, power tilt and slide moonroof, memory: power tilt/telescopic steering column, power 10-way driver seat including lumbar support ($2,045); Electrochromic (auto-dimming) outer mirrors with blind spot monitor, rear cross traffic alert, reverse tilt, heated, memory ($660); intuitive parking assist ($500); power back door ($400); qi-compatible wireless charger ($220); heated steering wheel ($150); Lexus Homelink garage door opener ($125); cargo net ($69)
http://autoweek.com/article/car-revi...t-review-notes
vh_supra26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 08:01 PM   #20
vh_supra26
Site Moderator

Drives: Supra
Thanked 2,181 Times in 964 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Jeremy Clarkson Reviews the 2015 Lexus NX 300h

Quote:
WHEN A new Mercedes comes along, you know before you’ve even opened the door what it will be like. All Mercs feel broadly similar until the company changes direction, which happens about once every 4,000 years, and then, ever so slowly, they all start to feel slightly different.

It’s the same story with BMW. Its cars were all fast and light for a long time, and then they all became heavy and a bit terrible, and now they’re all as good as cars can be (except the X3, obviously).

With Lexus you never know what you’re going to get. It’s not swings and roundabouts; it’s rollercoasters and big buckets full of steaming excrement. Some Lexuses are so brilliant that you have to bite the back of your hand to stop yourself crying out. Others are so bad that you consider driving at full speed into a tree to end the misery. And then you have those that are beautifully made but a bit forgettable. I can’t recall their names at the moment.

Only recently I tried the new RC F, which is a four-seat, two-door sports coupé priced and powered to compete with the BMW M4. And despite what my colleague said last week, it misses the target by about 217 miles, partly because it weighs more than the Atlantic Ocean and partly because you drive around everywhere in a wail of dreary understeer.

So what of the car you see on these pages this morning — the new NX? Hmm. There are lots of letters that work well in a car’s name. T, for example, or S or R — R’s very popular right now. R says a lot about a man. It says nearly as much as Z. But N? No. N doesn’t work. It’s like U.

To make matters worse, it’s one of those crossover SUV thingies, which are popular because they are perceived to be more robust and safer than ordinary hatchbacks. They’re not. But they are more expensive, more wasteful and needlessly enormous.

What’s more, if you peel away the premium-brand badging, the NX is essentially a Toyota RAV4. So you can think of it as a sweatshop jumper with a Ralph Lauren horse on the front.

Oh, and here’s the clincher. It’s a hybrid. It says so on the side, so that cyclists will not be tempted to bang on your roof as they pedal by. Yes, you’re driving a large car, but it’s kind to the environment so that’s OK. No, it isn’t. It’s unkind and daft. A hybrid may produce fewer carbon dioxides from its tailpipe than a normal car, but the cost to the planet of making the damn things with all those motors and batteries is immense. Anyone who buys a hybrid for ecological reasons is telling the world that they are an idiot.

It’s one of those cars that compel you to turn round for another look after you’ve locked them up for the night

So, a crossover hybrid with an N in its name and low-rent underpinnings from a company that’s capable of turning out a howler from time to time. This is not looking good. But here’s the thing: it does. At first you think it’s all too complicated and fussy, but it’s actually very well proportioned and full of genuinely lovely touches. It’s one of those cars that compel you to turn round for another look after you’ve locked them up for the night.

And it’s even better on the inside. The driving position is good, the dials look as if they were designed by the International Watch Company, the quality of the materials is way better than you have a right to expect for this price and there are many toys to play with. And just when you think you’ve played with them all, you find another bank of switches and off you go again. I especially liked the touchpad that steers the arrow around the sat nav screen.

And I amused myself for hours with the head-up display system, moving it up the windscreen to its highest point and then wondering what shape a driver would have to be to want it there. Another game was pushing buttons and guessing what you’d done. Half the time nothing seemed to happen.

This is because, behind the scenes, the Lexus is phenomenally complicated. There’s a normal four-cylinder 2.5-litre petrol engine that produces 153bhp, but then there are other motors too, doing all sorts of trickery. There’s even one in the back to power the rear wheels when you are in a field.

And they are all linked together by sorcery. It feels, when you put your foot down, as if it’s fitted with one of those awful cones-and-belt continuously variable gearboxes — technology that fills me with such rage that my hair starts to move about and my teeth begin to itch. But further investigation reveals that although the transmission system is called eCVT, it’s different from traditional versions: all the units send their power into what in essence is a differential, and this sends the motive force to the wheels.

So you start the engine and nothing happens. You set off in electric silence, and then when you want to go faster you push the accelerator and the petrol engine zooms up to a certain point in the rev band and stays there until you decide you’ve had enough. I don’t like it at all and I cannot believe it’s the most economical solution. But the NX 300h is not aimed at me. It’s aimed at, um, people who don’t really care what the rev counter’s doing.

This is not a fast car. It’s not even on nodding terms with the concept of speed. Time and again I found myself driving along with a huge queue of cars in my wake, wondering why everyone was being so aggressive and sporty all of a sudden. But they weren’t. It was me. I’ve never driven so slowly in all my life. I actually had to speed up for the cameras.

Which is fine because in this day and age lots of people just want to get home at night. And it’s good at that. Very good. It is extremely comfortable and remarkably quiet. There’s even an EV mode button that puts it in a pure electric motor setting, which would make it quieter still, but every time I pushed it I was told the system was temporarily unavailable. I therefore went back to playing with the head-up display.

This is not a fast car…I’ve never driven so slowly in all my life. I actually had to speed up for the cameras

It’s strange. The Lexus is sold as a hybrid, and it has two different power sources, so technically it is. But it can’t really run on batteries alone. So if you are looking for a car to save the polar bear you’d be better off with a McLaren P1 or a Porsche 918 Spyder.

However, if you are normal, the Lexus is pretty good. It worked in a field, the boot is huge, the back is spacious and the air of good quality is all-pervading. The handling also is good for a car this tall and heavy — it’s really heavy — but despite its bulk you can do hundreds of miles on a single tank of fuel. I enjoyed my time with it and would recommend it to anyone who for some reason doesn’t want a Range Rover Evoque.

I can’t for the life of me work out what that reason might be, but if you have one, then the NX, despite all the evidence to the contrary, is your answer.

Jeremy’s verdict ★★★☆☆
Crossover, hybrid…but it’s OK, honest
Lexus NX 300h Premier specifications
Engine 2494cc, 4 cylinders, plus electric motors
Power 194bhp (total)
Torque 152 lb ft @ 4400rpm
Transmission Electronic continuously variable
Performance 0-62mph: 9.2sec
Top speed 112mph
Fuel 54.3mpg (combined)
CO2 121g/km
Road tax band D
Price £42,995
Release date On sale now
http://www.driving.co.uk/car-reviews...-premier-2015/
vh_supra26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 01:33 AM   #21
gymratter

Drives: BMW
Thanked 1,825 Times in 952 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Lexus LF-NX Concept / The All-New 2022 Lexus NX

https://www.motor1.com/news/490243/2...-leaked-video/

Last edited by gymratter; 02-24-2021 at 04:42 PM.
gymratter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gymratter For This Useful Post:
Irace86.2.0 (02-24-2021)
Old 02-24-2021, 10:15 AM   #22
Sasquachulator
Pavement Grey

oh damn this leaked early
Apparently its not supposed to leak this early. (someones getting fired lol)

Looks quite nice, and much more upscale than the current one.
That interior...that touchpad is gone! Seems like thats the direction Lexus is going. Can't blame them, the mousepad was horrible, the touchpad was fine imo but the UI did not work well with either of those input methods.
Old 02-24-2021, 11:02 AM   #23
Pat

Drives: 2023 BRZ
Thanked 1,248 Times in 674 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Oh look, another crossover/cute-ute blob kind of thing. Neat-o. <yawn>
Don't get me wrong, if this is what the people are demanding, manufacturers should absolutely make them. But man, I am so tired of this kind of thing, personally.
Old 02-24-2021, 12:44 PM   #24
gymratter

i dont give a crap about this car either. just wanted to play my part in spreading the leak lol. im still mad at Toyota/Lexus over how they handle the dash "warranty" on many of my friend's and family's cars.
Old 02-24-2021, 12:54 PM   #25
HKz
Reformed

Drives: '23 GRC, '11 Prius, '04 RAV4
Thanked 1,133 Times in 588 Posts
way to "stick it to them" by creating hype for their cars lol..

sad that looks like Lexus is completely moving away from separate L shaped DRLs instead of evolving the look..other than that, think overall improvement over 1st gen NX..

wonder where the interior door handles are, they didn't use the LC ones like they did on the UX..oh nevermind I see them integrated into the arm rest.

Last edited by HKz; 02-24-2021 at 04:10 PM.
HKz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 01:20 PM   #26
gymratter

well it was their PR department had piss poor customer service. now its the same department working overtime to take down all the pics and vids from youtube lol.
Old 02-24-2021, 01:58 PM   #27
Sasquachulator
Pavement Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by gymratter View Post
well it was their PR department had piss poor customer service. now its the same department working overtime to take down all the pics and vids from youtube lol.
They're working overtime cuz this car wasnt supposed to be revealed this early lol. someone fooked up bigtime.

Toyota/Lexus will now have to move forward the release date to minimize the "damage" and maximize exposure hype.
Old 02-24-2021, 02:42 PM   #28
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,802 Times in 3,297 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
I actually think I like it a lot more than past models, especially the interior.