follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 03-20-2018, 03:28 PM   #71
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,796 Times in 16,418 Posts
Mentioned: 707 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Hey guys, what do you say we lighten up on the new guy ...... I think he's got the drift ..... ??

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (03-20-2018)
Old 03-20-2018, 03:35 PM   #72
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
Hey guys, what do you say we lighten up on the new guy ...... I think he's got the drift ..... ??

humfrz
It is nice that somebody actually listened to both sides of the story and wasn't just looking for support for what they already had set in stone in their head.
bkharmony (03-20-2018), humfrz (03-20-2018), SlickWillyFRS (03-20-2018), Yardjass (03-21-2018)
Old 03-20-2018, 03:48 PM   #73
SlickWillyFRS

Drives: 13’ JDL FRS, 15’ Cummins JKU
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:

humfrz
I appreciate the support lol, whatever makes them feel better! I've got thick enough skin.
They're right in that I probably should have done better research before posting a thread, but this was still immensely helpful.

To be honest I don't know why this is still getting attention.

Thanks again for the help! You too @Tcoat
humfrz (03-20-2018), Tcoat (03-20-2018)
Old 03-20-2018, 03:55 PM   #74
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickWillyFRS View Post
I appreciate the support lol, whatever makes them feel better! I've got thick enough skin.
They're right in that I probably should have done better research before posting a thread, but this was still immensely helpful.

To be honest I don't know why this is still getting attention.

Thanks again for the help! You too @Tcoat
It's what we do! You get used to it.
We can have a 100 page debate on the benefits of the weight savings of custom valve stem caps and not miss a beat.
humfrz (03-20-2018), Spuds (03-20-2018)
Old 03-20-2018, 10:32 PM   #75
extrashaky

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Thanked 5,618 Times in 2,266 Posts
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
My jeep has evolved into an impractical daily driver. I mean it gets alright fuel economy at 16mpg weighing close to 3 tons, but its almost exhausting to drive long distances.

I want an FRS that is more or less reliable ( I understand things are bound to break ) But I also want it to have roughly 400-450 horse power. I realize this may seem like an arbitrary number and I suppose I do not have a great reason for justifying it. But I know I don't really need any more than that for how light the car is.

Long story short, a most daily driven vehicle that I can take to the track for some fun.
You and everyone else are focusing on the reliability aspect, and that's definitely important. I saw an interview where Quirt Crawford himself said that the first thing that happened when he first built the 500+ hp BRZ was that an axle broke, and then they started having to go through the car beefing up whatever couldn't handle the power.

However, specific to your comment I quoted here, you say your Jeep has become an impractical daily driver. The other thing that stuck in my head from that Quirt Crawford interview was when he said once it had all that power, it was no longer fun to drive. He said the BRZ in stock form was a car you could drive at 10/10 all the time, whereas once you add power, it becomes a chore to constantly hold the car back in traffic. He said it had lost balance and wasn't a practical daily at all.

This is the guy who built the car and sells the kits, saying he made it less practical and less fun to drive.

So if you want a BRZ/FR-S/86 because you want a practical daily driver, you may be disappointed with a really crazy build. You might decide then that you need another daily driver, so maybe you'll buy something else. Then perhaps you'll get tired of having the FR-S you never drive, and you'll try to sell it, only to find that adding crazy power mods to a car doesn't increase the value in any proportion to their cost. Finally you'll end up selling the car at a big loss just to get it out of your sight.

Based on everything else you've said, you've already looked well ahead in other areas of your life. Not sure you've seen the future on this decision.
extrashaky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to extrashaky For This Useful Post:
humfrz (03-20-2018), SlickWillyFRS (03-20-2018), Tcoat (03-21-2018), Tristor (03-28-2018)
Old 03-20-2018, 10:50 PM   #76
SlickWillyFRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by extrashaky View Post
You and everyone else are focusing on the reliability aspect, and that's definitely important. I saw an interview where Quirt Crawford himself said that the first thing that happened when he first built the 500+ hp BRZ was that an axle broke, and then they started having to go through the car beefing up whatever couldn't handle the power.

However, specific to your comment I quoted here, you say your Jeep has become an impractical daily driver. The other thing that stuck in my head from that Quirt Crawford interview was when he said once it had all that power, it was no longer fun to drive. He said the BRZ in stock form was a car you could drive at 10/10 all the time, whereas once you add power, it becomes a chore to constantly hold the car back in traffic. He said it had lost balance and wasn't a practical daily at all.

This is the guy who built the car and sells the kits, saying he made it less practical and less fun to drive.

So if you want a BRZ/FR-S/86 because you want a practical daily driver, you may be disappointed with a really crazy build. You might decide then that you need another daily driver, so maybe you'll buy something else. Then perhaps you'll get tired of having the FR-S you never drive, and you'll try to sell it, only to find that adding crazy power mods to a car doesn't increase the value in any proportion to their cost. Finally you'll end up selling the car at a big loss just to get it out of your sight.

Based on everything else you've said, you've already looked well ahead in other areas of your life. Not sure you've seen the future on this decision.
Dang man, that was extremely well put. I believe I saw that same interview. I never thought about it like that though. From all the info I've gathered through this thread, I think the road ahead for me is get a relatively stock used FRS/86 (maybe buy one with minor modification) and drive it for a while. From there if I choose to start putting money into it, I'll focus on better handling modifications (If I feel I even need it!). If I do choose to put some money into the engine, I don't think I am going to be doing any sort of "+300" kit, but something more modest and with some better research first.

Thanks for this input man!
humfrz (03-20-2018), Tcoat (03-21-2018)
Old 03-20-2018, 11:01 PM   #77
Jordanwolf
Rice King

Drives: '19 FWD master race CTR
Thanked 2,001 Times in 1,203 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Dang man, that was extremely well put. I believe I saw that same interview. I never thought about it like that though. From all the info I've gathered through this thread, I think the road ahead for me is get a relatively stock used FRS/86 (maybe buy one with minor modification) and drive it for a while. From there if I choose to start putting money into it, I'll focus on better handling modifications (If I feel I even need it!). If I do choose to put some money into the engine, I don't think I am going to be doing any sort of "+300" kit, but something more modest and with some better research first.

Thanks for this input man!
Twin turbo h4, e85, straight pipe, 20x10 +15, 290/30/20, rocket bunny, TRD GT wing, no tint. Everyone will bow down to you.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jordanwolf For This Useful Post:
bkharmony (03-21-2018)
Old 03-20-2018, 11:06 PM   #78
SlickWillyFRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordanwolf View Post
Twin turbo h4, e85, straight pipe, 20x10 +15, 290/30/20, rocket bunny, TRD GT wing, no tint. Everyone will bow down to you.
Is that the secret formula? Not sure what you mean by h4 though! Could you please elaborate?
Old 03-20-2018, 11:14 PM   #79
Jordanwolf
Rice King

Garage
Quote:
Is that the secret formula? Not sure what you mean by h4 though! Could you please elaborate?
Horizontal 4
Old 03-20-2018, 11:24 PM   #80
PetrolioBenzina

Drives: 17 86
Thanked 1,133 Times in 647 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
OP will be surrounded by zipper-suited sun gods in BMW's and MB's, the Rocket Bunny might be required.
PetrolioBenzina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 11:58 PM   #81
humfrz

Quote:
Pay not much never mind to ol @Jordanwolf most of the time. He does have moments of clarity ...... but not many.

We allow him to stick around, just so as we have somebody to when we feel ornery .....

humfrz
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
SlickWillyFRS (03-21-2018), Spuds (03-21-2018)
Old 03-21-2018, 11:33 AM   #82
Jordanwolf
Rice King

Garage
Quote:
Pay not much never mind to ol @Jordanwolf most of the time. He does have moments of clarity ...... but not many.

We allow him to stick around, just so as we have somebody to when we feel ornery .....

humfrz
How about you pay not much never mind to your grammor PUNK.
Old 03-21-2018, 12:28 PM   #83
humfrz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordanwolf View Post
How about you pay not much never mind to your grammor PUNK.
I DON"T pay much never mind to MY grammar.

I suggest you mind your spelling lessons.

......and "get the hell off my lawn" .......

humfrz
Old 03-21-2018, 02:01 PM   #84
Jordanwolf
Rice King

Garage
Quote:
I DON"T pay much never mind to MY grammar.

I suggest you mind your spelling lessons.

......and "get the hell off my lawn" .......

humfrz
You have fallen into my trap.

The Following User Says Thank You to Jordanwolf For This Useful Post:
humfrz (03-21-2018)