follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] For all off-topic discussion topics.

User Tag List

Old 12-08-2023, 02:16 AM   #687
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,805 Times in 3,299 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unplugem View Post
[urs[/url]
Slow it down to 0.25 and watch again. The ribbon twists and stops reflecting light. It is gray and dark on the "dark side" of his head, and you can see the ribbon resting against the side of his head.

Again, your bad, pixelated, low bitrate, old videos showing camera/ligting optical illusions is evidence of 90's CGI? Stop bro.
Dadhawk (12-08-2023)
Old 12-08-2023, 02:39 AM   #688
Irace86.2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZDan View Post

You don't know much about him, do you. He is an idiot. His code was too terrible to be usable for PayPal, he mucked up the original Tesla Roadster, and the people who really run SpaceX are only able to do so by controlling Musk to keep his terrible judgement from derailing progress.

He is a grifter at heart. He is almost always WRONG. He is a TERRIBLE "engineer".
Reread what I said. I said he is an engineer at heart. I didn't say he was a great engineer of any type. His degrees were in physics and economics, but he was studying materials engineering too, so he maintains a big interest in metallurgy, which is also one of the pioneering departments in Tesla and SpaceX. I said that he is clearly interested and knowledgable about the engineering going into the products. He has a deeper level knowledge about what is going on than most CEOs.

Watch him talking about the engines and rockets for hours while giving a tour of the facilities to Everyday Astronaut. You can start here. Lots of videos of him talking and talking and talking about intricate systems and components. Again, doesn't make him a good or great or an engineer at all. It seems to me he is an engineer at heart who understands the principles, knows how to learn quickly from engineers who teach him what they are doing, and he understands it and is involved enough to comprehend the process and can discuss it in great detail. I can't recall a CEO who had product-manager-level-knowledge of the products and systems being used.

Dadhawk (12-08-2023)
Old 12-08-2023, 02:56 AM   #689
ZDan

Drives: '23 BRZ
Thanked 3,891 Times in 2,032 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irace86.2.0 View Post
Reread what I said. I said he is an engineer at heart. I didn't say he was a great engineer of any type. His degrees were in physics and economics,
He has a bachelor of *arts* in "physics". I.e., he ain't any kind of physicist. And he's certainly not an engineer either. I am an aerospace engineer and I have *some* knowledge of materials and IMO he isn't any kind of expert there either. What he is great at is exploiting others to advance himself. He is also a tyrant and it is well known that he has handlers to keep him from interacting with the people actually doing the hard work because he might fire them for disagreeing with his idiotic "ideas".
ZDan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ZDan For This Useful Post:
pope (12-08-2023), Spuds (12-08-2023), Unplugem (12-08-2023)
Old 12-08-2023, 06:06 AM   #690
Unplugem

Drives: GR86 (Sold) -> C6 GS Edelbrock SCed
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
He has a bachelor of *arts* in "physics". I.e., he ain't any kind of physicist. And he's certainly not an engineer either. I am an aerospace engineer and I have *some* knowledge of materials and IMO he isn't any kind of expert there either. What he is great at is exploiting others to advance himself. He is also a tyrant and it is well known that he has handlers to keep him from interacting with the people actually doing the hard work because he might fire them for disagreeing with his idiotic "ideas".
Finally, someone in this thread who can at least discern a sliver of truth.
Elon Musk literally means "scent of God." His name is blasphemous. He was born "privileged" to bloodline parents. His father was a pedo. His whole life is scripted; if you don't believe me, look into the book "Project Mars: A Technical Tale," written by satanic Nazi occultist and founding member of NASA, Werner von Braun. In the book, he writes that a man named "Elon" will lead humanity in colonizing Mars.
Now Werner von Braun was an initiated Freemason/Jesuit, who helped direct the fake moon landing. The man was not stupid; he was very well informed of the scripted plans that were being executed in order to brainwash the public into believing in "outer space;" Just look at what he had written on his tombstone when he died.
Elon Musk, aka Lone Skum, is a puppet, who follows the script given to him by his superiors.
Unplugem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2023, 06:09 AM   #691
Unplugem

Old 12-08-2023, 07:14 AM   #692
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,939 Times in 11,376 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Firing up the engines is not an easy process. Musk was basically saying it is a delicate orchestra of pressure, temperature and timing in a sequence that needs to play out like a ballet. Convo starts at 9:20. I guess we will have to wait for the findings when they get released.
And there-in lies my concerns about StarShip as a launch vehicle from the Moon's surface. The LEM used hypergolic fuel, so as long as the fuel flowed there was going to be thrust. StarShip, like the booster, is dependent on the "orchestra" of too many parts in my opinion. But, like I said I'm no rocket scientist, I just know which rocket I'd rather be riding.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (12-08-2023), ZDan (12-08-2023)
Old 12-08-2023, 09:15 AM   #693
Spuds
The Dictater

Drives: '13 Red Scion FRS
Thanked 12,433 Times in 6,148 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unplugem View Post
Finally, someone in this thread who can at least discern a sliver of truth.
Elon Musk literally means "scent of God." His name is blasphemous. He was born "privileged" to bloodline parents. His father was a pedo. His whole life is scripted; if you don't believe me, look into the book "Project Mars: A Technical Tale," written by satanic Nazi occultist and founding member of NASA, Werner von Braun. In the book, he writes that a man named "Elon" will lead humanity in colonizing Mars.
Now Werner von Braun was an initiated Freemason/Jesuit, who helped direct the fake moon landing. The man was not stupid; he was very well informed of the scripted plans that were being executed in order to brainwash the public into believing in "outer space;" Just look at what he had written on his tombstone when he died.
Elon Musk, aka Lone Skum, is a puppet, who follows the script given to him by his superiors.
Can't you just make your own thread and stop trolling in everyone else's?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Spuds For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (12-08-2023), Irace86.2.0 (12-09-2023), pope (12-08-2023)
Old 12-08-2023, 09:21 AM   #694
Spuds
The Dictater

Drives: '13 Red Scion FRS
Thanked 12,433 Times in 6,148 Posts
Quote:
To be fair, my mom has a bachelor of arts in computer science. And she's a fine (retired) engineer.

Musks superpower is that his daddy is rich and he has rich friends. If a sucker is born every minute, a 1%-er sucker is born every 2 hours, which still leaves a lot of rich suckers.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Spuds For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (12-08-2023), ZDan (12-08-2023)
Old 12-08-2023, 10:12 AM   #695
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuds View Post
To be fair, my mom has a bachelor of arts in computer science. And she's a fine (retired) engineer.
I have a bachelor of science in Philosophy, the last time I checked the only one ever granted by my undergrad school. I took enough math and science courses as electives to qualify.

I always thought having a B.S. in Philosophy seemed totally appropriate.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
Spuds (12-08-2023)
Old 12-08-2023, 12:44 PM   #696
bcj
Geo Tyrebighter Esq

Drives: '13 scion fr-s
Thanked 4,981 Times in 2,197 Posts
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
It would be nice to be accelerating the whole time, which is the fastest way to get there, but that would be miserable for the crew. If we had the fuel to do that then the trip would be shorter, but half the time would be positive acceleration and then half the time with negative acceleration (deceleration). Imagine pulling g's or having a steady acceleration for weeks just to shorten the trip from six months to days or weeks. It would be terrible.
We're coping with this 24/7 right here in this gravity sink. WTF?
There's fuel available without dinking around with the moon or Marz.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bcj For This Useful Post:
Spuds (12-08-2023), Ultramaroon (12-08-2023)
Old 12-08-2023, 01:10 PM   #697
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Quote:
...Imagine pulling g's or having a steady acceleration for weeks just to shorten the trip from six months to days or weeks. It would be terrible.
Actually if you could accelerate the ship at 1g or less constantly it would feel like Earth and potentially provide "artificial" gravity wouldn't it?

At an acceleration of 1G you can reach the speed of light (in theory) in about one year with minimal effect.

When there is no acceleration (you are coasting) you are experiencing zero g which is just about as bad to me.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
Irace86.2.0 (12-09-2023), pope (12-08-2023), Ultramaroon (12-08-2023)
Old 12-08-2023, 06:43 PM   #698
Unplugem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
I have a bachelor of science in Philosophy, the last time I checked the only one ever granted by my undergrad school. I took enough math and science courses as electives to qualify.

I always thought having a B.S. in Philosophy seemed totally appropriate.
Well, I guess you could say that your philosophical views are certified B.S. then...
The Following User Says Thank You to Unplugem For This Useful Post:
Stephen W. (12-10-2023)
Old 12-09-2023, 12:57 AM   #699
Irace86.2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
And there-in lies my concerns about StarShip as a launch vehicle from the Moon's surface. The LEM used hypergolic fuel, so as long as the fuel flowed there was going to be thrust. StarShip, like the booster, is dependent on the "orchestra" of too many parts in my opinion. But, like I said I'm no rocket scientist, I just know which rocket I'd rather be riding.
They have their reasons. There is a lot of good reasons discussed here:

https://everydayastronaut.com/abort-towers/
Old 12-09-2023, 01:07 AM   #700
Irace86.2.0

Quote:
Again, I didn't say he was an engineer, and also, I didn't say he was a physicist. He has a degree in physics is all I said, and I said he clearly carries a passion for engineering. I said he clearly is knowledgable about the specifics beyond what your typical CEO would know. I'm not saying he is the same as, but I am saying he talks like someone who is a project level manager. Typically when presenting a car or a product, the CEOs barely give much depth about the specifics. They leave that to others to know, but he either has a significant interest in the subject matter, so he wants to know, or he is involved in decision making processes, so he needs to know. Regardless of the reasons, I'm personally impressed with his level of knowledge of the systems and components and engineering requirements of the cars, batteries, rockets, engines, etc of his companies, especially for someone who is not an engineer, who is not a physicist, who has a BA degree and who is a rich, spoiled brat. What those videos I posted, and he doesn't sound like Billy Madison, which is who you paint him out to be.

We can agree to disagree on the subject.