follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 07-30-2019, 03:50 PM   #71
xdavidx
Emperor McDuck

Drives: 2019 86 GT; 2018 BMW S1000RR
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by evomike View Post
do not and i repeat do not use the body shop your insurance company recommends, they have a contract with the shop to save them money and have the insurance companies best interest in mind. where exactly are you in new jersey?

^100% THIS!!

Also, I'd like to put my bet in at $2,200.
xdavidx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 04:53 PM   #72
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Drives: Zenki 37J ZN6
Thanked 9,397 Times in 5,261 Posts
Mentioned: 374 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
Quote:
do not and i repeat do not use the body shop your insurance company recommends, they have a contract with the shop to save them money and have the insurance companies best interest in mind. where exactly are you in new jersey?
Quote:
Originally Posted by xdavidx View Post
^100% THIS!!

Also, I'd like to put my bet in at $2,200.
That's not always the truth. A few of the best body shops in my area are partners with my insurance. Wasn't gonna go to a crappier shop just to avoid that.

But definitely pick a shop based on you wanting them to do the work and not what your insurance says only.

"Just like how a strut bar somehow enables you to corner 20MPH faster around a cloverleaf on-ramp, when the reality is, you can do it already but you just don't have to balls to do it." - CSG David
finch1750 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to finch1750 For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (07-30-2019)
Old 07-30-2019, 04:58 PM   #73
evomike

Drives: frs
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by finch1750 View Post
That's not always the truth. A few of the best body shops in my area are partners with my insurance. Wasn't gonna go to a crappier shop just to avoid that.

But definitely pick a shop based on you wanting them to do the work and not what your insurance says only.
none of the best body shops will partner with an insurance company, they dictate the repair and go against OEM manufacture repair procedures. if you are one of the best shops you work off of your reputation and OEM certifications, insurance repair guidelines directly contradict OEM repair procedures.
evomike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to evomike For This Useful Post:
Busybee (07-31-2019), xdavidx (07-30-2019)
Old 07-30-2019, 05:15 PM   #74
xdavidx
Emperor McDuck

Quote:

Remember that evomike runs a body shop himself..

While it may be possible that a shop capable of good quality work partners with insurance, they are still going to be influenced to do what is in the best interest of the insurance company. Otherwise, they will no longer be partnered with them. It's like using the sellers real estate agent... Or letting the prosecuting DA be your defense attorney. Agent and DA are probably great, but they aren't going to represent your interests.
Old 07-30-2019, 05:40 PM   #75
Dadillac

Drives: 2018 Ford Mustang EB Premium 6M
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
What I can discern from the picture is that the bumper cover and the TRD diffuser will need replacing. I would bet that the diffuser alone will cost about $1500 from Toyota. My estimate for repairs is $4,000.00 to $4,500.00.

Don
Old 07-30-2019, 07:13 PM   #76
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Drives: Zenki 37J ZN6
Thanked 9,397 Times in 5,261 Posts
Mentioned: 374 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
Quote:
none of the best body shops will partner with an insurance company, they dictate the repair and go against OEM manufacture repair procedures. if you are one of the best shops you work off of your reputation and OEM certifications, insurance repair guidelines directly contradict OEM repair procedures.
Quote:
Remember that evomike runs a body shop himself..

While it may be possible that a shop capable of good quality work partners with insurance, they are still going to be influenced to do what is in the best interest of the insurance company. Otherwise, they will no longer be partnered with them. It's like using the sellers real estate agent... Or letting the prosecuting DA be your defense attorney. Agent and DA are probably great, but they aren't going to represent your interests.
Was not aware of that.

Could be true. Maybe I just have crappy shops in my area, but those around here with the best rep happen to partner with my insurance. I've used the same one for my insurance, cash jobs, and other people's insurance and never had to really fight anything or had issues. But I'm not in the business so I wouldn't be able to tell the difference I guess.

Am honestly curious on the OEM procedure and how shops don't follow that. Are you talking things like refurbished parts or beyond that even?

"Just like how a strut bar somehow enables you to corner 20MPH faster around a cloverleaf on-ramp, when the reality is, you can do it already but you just don't have to balls to do it." - CSG David
finch1750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 08:15 PM   #77
xdavidx
Emperor McDuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadillac View Post
What I can discern from the picture is that the bumper cover and the TRD diffuser will need replacing. I would bet that the diffuser alone will cost about $1500 from Toyota. My estimate for repairs is $4,000.00 to $4,500.00.

Don

Crap, I think I underbid. They do love to jack up the prices on those TRD model parts. They want to keep people from being resourceful and 'making' a TRD special edition out of their old car instead of paying up for a new one. I had a limited production porsche like that. If you needed to replace any of the parts stamped with that version they wanted $5k+ on top of whatever it would have been otherwise... like steering wheel emblems or glove box doors.
Now I'm really curious what the bill will come back at.
Old 07-30-2019, 08:23 PM   #78
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,284 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Crap, I think I underbid. They do love to jack up the prices on those TRD model parts. They want to keep people from being resourceful and 'making' a TRD special edition out of their old car instead of paying up for a new one. I had a limited production porsche like that. If you needed to replace any of the parts stamped with that version they wanted $5k+ on top of whatever it would have been otherwise... like steering wheel emblems or glove box doors.
More a case of they made 20,000 normal parts and 200 special ones. Costs more to make 200 than 20,000 so the end product is more expensive.

and...
They then jack the retail up even more because they can get away with it.
Old 07-30-2019, 08:33 PM   #79
evomike

Drives: frs
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Was not aware of that.

Could be true. Maybe I just have crappy shops in my area, but those around here with the best rep happen to partner with my insurance. I've used the same one for my insurance, cash jobs, and other people's insurance and never had to really fight anything or had issues. But I'm not in the business so I wouldn't be able to tell the difference I guess.

Am honestly curious on the OEM procedure and how shops don't follow that. Are you talking things like refurbished parts or beyond that even?
A lot of it is parts selection with aftermarket or used parts, especially used suspension. There are also a ton of procedures they flat out try to deny when it comes to sheet metal replacement structural and non structural. The toughest part of my job is getting an insurance adjuster who thinks they know better to write the repair per OEM procedures, they’ll always say “there are ships that do that” but that doesn’t make it right and doesn’t mean it will perform the same if involved in a collision again.
evomike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to evomike For This Useful Post:
finch1750 (07-31-2019), soundman98 (07-30-2019), Tcoat (07-31-2019)
Old 07-30-2019, 08:45 PM   #80
Dadillac

Drives: 2018 Ford Mustang EB Premium 6M
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:

I am not 100% sure but I do believe that the diffuser on the 2019 TRD is different than the TRD body kit diffuser for the earlier models. That kind of makes it unique. My best guess is that the 2019 body kit is somewhere around $3500 for all the pieces. And we all know that individual pieces cost more. My estimate may be way off but maybe not

Don
Old 07-30-2019, 09:39 PM   #81
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takumi_Fujiwara View Post
Well, It's my insurance recommended body shop. I don't think I will be getting two different estimates. So there should be one pool I think?
Quote:
absolutely this.

talk to family and friends about where they've gone. insurance takes your money in exchange for a service, they are neither your family or your friends.
Old 07-30-2019, 09:47 PM   #82
soundman98

Quote:
A lot of it is parts selection with aftermarket or used parts, especially used suspension. There are also a ton of procedures they flat out try to deny when it comes to sheet metal replacement structural and non structural. The toughest part of my job is getting an insurance adjuster who thinks they know better to write the repair per OEM procedures, they’ll always say “there are ships that do that” but that doesn’t make it right and doesn’t mean it will perform the same if involved in a collision again.
to further that point:

https://www.repairerdrivennews.com/2...o-body-repair/

if you start reading into the case, the insurance wanted them to bond the panel instead of honda's specific procedure. they chose to follow the insurance companies desire so they could get paid. and now someone's dead.
Old 07-30-2019, 09:56 PM   #83
soundman98

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
Hold on. You pulled out in front of someone and got hit in the rear of your car? Well, I guess you almost made it -

OBTW, your garage is a fucking hazard - looks like a junk yard - needs to be cleaned up before someone falls on the floor and strangles themselves on some of those cords and hoses -

humfrz
it was on a 2 lane road with overcast/drizzle. a 2010+ white explorer was in the left lane, and a faded black saturn(it seems to always be saturns for me) was just behind the front of the explorer. the explorer indicated they were turning into the lot i was leaving, and started slowing down, from my perspective, it was clear to go-- it appeared that the explorer was the only vehicle on the road. it wasn't until i was across both lanes that i saw the saturn, so i goosed it, and the back end loosened up before impact, which i believe helped soften up the blow a little as well.

no matter what, it was 100% my fault, and i even admitted as such to the other driver--i was crossing the lanes of traffic, which is a law/liability i became familiar with a few years earlier. admitting fault didn't matter because it was already on me the second i said which direction i was going. i offered to call the police to get the report so she could get her car fixed and she flipped out, said she couldn't deal with the cops right now and left.

now i just wait for people to turn.

and the garage shot is my dad's garage. it's better because he's taken over the shelves i used to have there. so not by much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
It is the mess that resulted from the brawl after Sound said he had dash cam footage of the other guy deliberately speeding up to hit him.
you're thinking of someone else, i don't currently have a dash cam, but ordered one after that incident. still haven't installed it.
humfrz (07-31-2019), Tcoat (07-31-2019)
Old 07-31-2019, 12:16 AM   #84
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,827 Times in 16,429 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
it was on a 2 lane road with overcast/drizzle. a 2010+ white explorer was in the left lane, and a faded black saturn(it seems to always be saturns for me) was just behind the front of the explorer. the explorer indicated they were turning into the lot i was leaving, and started slowing down, from my perspective, it was clear to go-- it appeared that the explorer was the only vehicle on the road. it wasn't until i was across both lanes that i saw the saturn, so i goosed it, and the back end loosened up before impact, which i believe helped soften up the blow a little as well.

no matter what, it was 100% my fault, and i even admitted as such to the other driver--i was crossing the lanes of traffic, which is a law/liability i became familiar with a few years earlier. admitting fault didn't matter because it was already on me the second i said which direction i was going. i offered to call the police to get the report so she could get her car fixed and she flipped out, said she couldn't deal with the cops right now and left.

now i just wait for people to turn.

and the garage shot is my dad's garage. it's better because he's taken over the shelves i used to have there. so not by much!

you're thinking of someone else, i don't currently have a dash cam, but ordered one after that incident. still haven't installed it.
Oh, I see, your dad's garage, well then, that's OK - old men are allowed to have cluttered garages -

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (07-31-2019)

Tags
accident