follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 08-21-2012, 07:10 PM   #29
Simmons

Drives: 2022 BRZ
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
The funny thing is 3 Subaru Dealers I went to made sure to tell me the car can fit 4 race tires and a helmut.

Simmons

Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 11:06 AM   #30
Ryeong86

Drives: 2015 Sti Launch Edition
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by miata View Post
I think that's because people do better in autoX with Subaru than with Scion. Scion was just embarrassed to say that they will void the warranty if autoX'd because then people will laugh at them for saying that because Scions get their a$$ kicked by Subarus and Miatas. But with the FRS coming, I am sure Scion will add that clause if they don't have it yet.
All depends on the driver not the car. I already beat a BR-Z at my Auto X Solo2 event last month
Ryeong86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 03:50 PM   #31
SWAMechFRS

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Asphalt 6-Spd
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedrye View Post
I've had my warranty voided by Ford for a single autocross event. Complete warranty, completely illegal based on the US Magnuson-Moss warranty act. It didn't matter though, the closest lawyer that would even consider taking the case was over 100 miles away and wanted $10k to even consider the case.
Ford had pulled up the local club's website and combined that with the fact that I had hit the rev limiter in the vehicle to void everything. I ended up fixing the problem the vehicle was in for on my own (simple vacuum leak on the intake, $20 fix) but I will never buy another Ford product again. I know, I know, I shouldn't have bought one to start with, but protect yourself. There's a reason I don't even put my exact location on forums. You'd be amazed at the number of spies that troll forums from different car and accessory distributors. I've been contacted numerous times from vendors/companies for posting a scathing review of a product, even when purely factual with little to no emotion involved in the writing of the review.
When you get your car, cover your butt and remember that someone is watching your every move. Don't post anything about doing something stupid in your car, breaking it and then bringing it in for warranty, because often, the manufacturer will find that out as well.
Surprisingly enough, I'm really not a paranoid person.

I call 100% BS and yes you are paranoid. Remember.....Big Brother is watching you man.........bwahahahaha.
Old 10-24-2012, 05:23 PM   #32
TheFirstScion
Early Adopter

Drives: 2013 FR-S, 2005 Scion tC Turbo
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I never had an issue with my turbo tC and warranty issues. And the dealer loves my FR-S. Every time I go in they ask whats new on it
Visconti Tuned, Nameless Axle Back, Takeda Intake, Eibach Pro Kit Springs, Crawford Air/Oil Separator, Toyota Badges/center caps, 35% tint, Perrin: Crank Pulley, Rear Shifter Bushing, Master Cylinder Brace, 19MM Rear Sway bar, Poly End Links, PSRS (Control Arm Bushings,) Control Arm Braces, Transmission Brace, 2" Antenna
TheFirstScion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 10:04 PM   #33
Kamran
Pepe Le Pew Wannabe

Drives: FR-S
I called Scion of USA and asked them if my warranty would be voided if I track and not race the car. They said any high speed on the race track event would void it. I asked what if its on an open airfield, they said would void it. I called the service where I bought the car, they confirmed the same thing.

The manual says that the car has a black box that records everything. It is accessible by the dealer, police, and insurance companies!!! For various reason, including claims like car just decided to accelerate full throttle forward or in reverse, etc, etc.
Kamran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 03:36 PM   #34
thisisbenji

Drives: 2012 Focus SE Sport
The "black box" issue really bothers me. It's a huge slap in the face to owners. It's like saying "Sure we will sell you a sports car, but if you drive it like a sports car don't come looking to us when it breaks." I guess we just have to think about it the same way as a motorcycle. Don't take it to the track if you can't afford to replace it.
thisisbenji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 06:16 PM   #35
Kamran
Pepe Le Pew Wannabe

Agreed 100%. They even advertise the trunk space designed such that you can fit four tires for your trackday, along with all your track gears! But buyer beware !

In my experience the only brand that stands behind their cars when tracked is Porsche. They say their cars were made to participate in track events (not racing), especially the ones organized by the Porsche Club of America. I have even witnessed the dealer send out a mechanic to the track to fix a Porsche when it broke down under warranty, just so he could continue with his trackday and get his fun out of the day!!!

I'm also independently very, very..... dependent!
The Following User Says Thank You to Kamran For This Useful Post:
WolfpackS2k (08-01-2013)
Old 01-23-2013, 12:28 AM   #36
l0aded
Addicted

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
bump for the scion part. if they were to add some clause in regarding voiding your warranty for autoX or tracking, would we have to be notified or could they just change it on the fly and screw us later?

Anyone know someone or a story of anyone who has ever run across this problem? more interested in tracking as opposed to autoX but still want to be safe.
l0aded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 02:07 AM   #37
Calin
VTEC just kicked in, yo!

Drives: World Rally Blue BRZ - 6MT
Finding this thread made me sort of sad. I've owned a few sport cars in the past, but have never tracked any of them. Now that I bought a BRZ last week, I was really looking forward to tracking it at least once. After this thread, I'm not so sure anymore
Calin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Calin For This Useful Post:
FnFast (08-22-2013)
Old 01-27-2013, 08:50 AM   #38
aaronosaurus
The data matters

Drives: WRBP BRZ
Has anyone actually had this experience with Subaru? I used to autocross with a salesman an occasionally the service advisors from the dealership I was using would come to events. Their unwritten policy was "if it fails because of the event, you're on your own." I never had issues getting warranty work(albeit mostly HVAC related).
aaronosaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:32 AM   #39
dsgerbc

Drives: BRZ(sold), STI
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamran View Post

The manual says that the car has a black box that records everything. It is accessible by the dealer, police, and insurance companies!!! For various reason, including claims like car just decided to accelerate full throttle forward or in reverse, etc, etc.
Per regulations, YOU own that data. Police/insurance etc can get access via subpoena, if there is litigation. You can also give your permission. So if manufacturer does not obtain your permission and tries to deny warranty on the basis of that data -sue them.

Also, EDRs record only a couple of seconds of data, not years worth. It's meant to help if there was a crash, not to spy on what the driver is doing.
dsgerbc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dsgerbc For This Useful Post:
Calin (01-30-2013)
Old 01-30-2013, 12:15 AM   #40
Calin
VTEC just kicked in, yo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronosaurus View Post
Has anyone actually had this experience with Subaru? I used to autocross with a salesman an occasionally the service advisors from the dealership I was using would come to events. Their unwritten policy was "if it fails because of the event, you're on your own." I never had issues getting warranty work(albeit mostly HVAC related).
Was this salesman and servie advisor from Subaru or another company?
Old 01-30-2013, 12:15 AM   #41
Calin
VTEC just kicked in, yo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsgerbc View Post
Per regulations, YOU own that data. Police/insurance etc can get access via subpoena, if there is litigation. You can also give your permission. So if manufacturer does not obtain your permission and tries to deny warranty on the basis of that data -sue them.

Also, EDRs record only a couple of seconds of data, not years worth. It's meant to help if there was a crash, not to spy on what the driver is doing.
Thanks good to know. Thank you!
Old 01-30-2013, 12:43 AM   #42
Kamran
Pepe Le Pew Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsgerbc View Post

I believe the recording is well over 2 seconds. Having only 2 seconds is pretty much meaningless.

Most service dignostics, do the diagnostics as routine. Not aware of any regulations that spells out they need permission to perform their diagnostic when you hand them your car to diagnose.

Let's say, there is such a thing as asking for your permission, and let's say you just turned in a major warranty claim for them to fix, and your answer to them asking for your permission was "no".... I imagine I don't need to explain where your warranty claim goes from here...

I'm also independently very, very..... dependent!