follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 08-21-2021, 02:39 PM   #1
Qwimby1

Drives: 14 FRS Monogram, 05 Mazdasped Miata
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
ESC and reliability

I have just obtained a version 2.5 Phantom with the two-stage throttle switch which produces either 2 or 5psi. However when it was being delivered, I put in a Borla header and Berk free-flow cat front pipe. The added performance is quite surprising. Much more than I expected. I may decide I don't need the ESC.

This is no doubt a dumb question but...I would not put a full SC on this '14 model because of the known relationship between FI and blown motors. However 5psi seems pretty tame to my knowledge, and it's only intermittent. The Edelbrock SC lists 9psi. I ran 10psi on my turbo Miata. I doubt there are enough ESCs in use to establish any connection with engines turning to hand grenades, but I guess it's worth asking. My default operating mode is at least 6500 in first, traffic permitting. Same in second if there's room ahead. 7,000 fairly often.
Qwimby1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 02:45 PM   #2
BlOody_BoOger

Drives: Hot lava FRS Monogram Charizard
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
What's your question? I've ran a phantom for over 4 years this last year I ran twin phantoms on my car. I always out ran full bolt on cars. You'll notice a difference when you install the phantom. It's not so much the hp but the low end tq that makes the big difference. If you need the files for the tune let me know and I can provide them in a email. Or you can talk to shiv and he can provide a custom tune on openflash.

Sent from my IN2017 using Tapatalk
BlOody_BoOger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 03:01 PM   #3
Qwimby1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlOody_BoOger View Post
What's your question? I've ran a phantom for over 4 years this last year I ran twin phantoms on my car. I always out ran full bolt on cars. You'll notice a difference when you install the phantom. It's not so much the hp but the low end tq that makes the big difference. If you need the files for the tune let me know and I can provide them in a email. Or you can talk to shiv and he can provide a custom tune on openflash.

Thanks for that offer. I have an OFT and run E85 with the stage 2 tune now. I'm just a little gun shy after reading about spun bearings and the other gremlins in the early motors. My other fear is that I can only get E85 at one station in my town and if that goes away I'll probably lose a lot of the performance I've gained. In that case I would probably install the ESC. I should flash back to 93 for a tank and see what I've got.
Old 08-21-2021, 03:10 PM   #4
BlOody_BoOger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwimby1 View Post
Thanks for that offer. I have an OFT and run E85 with the stage 2 tune now. I'm just a little gun shy after reading about spun bearings and the other gremlins in the early motors. My other fear is that I can only get E85 at one station in my town and if that goes away I'll probably lose a lot of the performance I've gained. In that case I would probably install the ESC. I should flash back to 93 for a tank and see what I've got.
The phantoms don't make enough power to cause stress on the bearings. If you're wondering what kind of power. It'll put you right around a full bolt on wrx or 350z also you can set up the throttle switch to work only when you want to so you won't always be boosting. Shivs tunes are really good too. He created a thread on here all about tuning on openflash and almost all tuners go based off of his threads. If you get a custom tune from him he can make it safe so you can have a greater peace of mind.

The Following User Says Thank You to BlOody_BoOger For This Useful Post:
Qwimby1 (08-21-2021)
Old 08-21-2021, 03:20 PM   #5
Qwimby1

Quote:
The phantoms don't make enough power to cause stress on the bearings. If you're wondering what kind of power. It'll put you right around a full bolt on wrx or 350z also you can set up the throttle switch to work only when you want to so you won't always be boosting. Shivs tunes are really good too. He created a thread on here all about tuning on openflash and almost all tuners go based off of his threads. If you get a custom tune from him he can make it safe so you can have a greater peace of mind.

That's very helpful. Thanks.
Old 08-21-2021, 03:54 PM   #6
zc06_kisstherain

Drives: SWP BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
I miss ESC. If fenton made this as full supported company, i will repurchase it but cant get replacement part so i had to let it go

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
zc06_kisstherain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to zc06_kisstherain For This Useful Post:
Aztec (08-22-2021)
Old 08-21-2021, 05:18 PM   #7
BlOody_BoOger

Quote:
Originally Posted by zc06_kisstherain View Post
I miss ESC. If fenton made this as full supported company, i will repurchase it but cant get replacement part so i had to let it go

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
I know sucks the only other option is torqamp lots of people are now posting videos on YouTube

The Following User Says Thank You to BlOody_BoOger For This Useful Post:
zc06_kisstherain (08-21-2021)
Old 08-22-2021, 08:18 AM   #8
WNDSRFR

Drives: FR-S,GTI
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
I have just obtained a version 2.5 Phantom with the two-stage throttle switch which produces either 2 or 5psi. However when it was being delivered, I put in a Borla header and Berk free-flow cat front pipe. The added performance is quite surprising. Much more than I expected. I may decide I don't need the ESC.

This is no doubt a dumb question but...I would not put a full SC on this '14 model because of the known relationship between FI and blown motors. However 5psi seems pretty tame to my knowledge, and it's only intermittent. The Edelbrock SC lists 9psi. I ran 10psi on my turbo Miata. I doubt there are enough ESCs in use to establish any connection with engines turning to hand grenades, but I guess it's worth asking. My default operating mode is at least 6500 in first, traffic permitting. Same in second if there's room ahead. 7,000 fairly often.
I've had mine for 7 or 8 years now and put over 150,000 miles on it with no problems. No problems with the engine. I did have a couple problems with the earlier versions of the ESC. But Rob fixed them right away and incorporated the improvements into the later designs. Your version should last for years with no problems. Except for batteries only last a couple years.
I think you will see your operating mode change immediately. Before I got the ESC I would bring it up to redline all the time because that's where the power is. But the ESC has immediate torque. Even in the "torque dip" area. I hardly ever go over 5,000 RPM. There's no need to.
WNDSRFR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WNDSRFR For This Useful Post:
Qwimby1 (08-22-2021), zc06_kisstherain (08-22-2021)
Old 08-22-2021, 11:12 AM   #9
Qwimby1

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by WNDSRFR View Post
I've had mine for 7 or 8 years now and put over 150,000 miles on it with no problems. No problems with the engine. I did have a couple problems with the earlier versions of the ESC. But Rob fixed them right away and incorporated the improvements into the later designs. Your version should last for years with no problems. Except for batteries only last a couple years.
I think you will see your operating mode change immediately. Before I got the ESC I would bring it up to redline all the time because that's where the power is. But the ESC has immediate torque. Even in the "torque dip" area. I hardly ever go over 5,000 RPM. There's no need to.
Very good to know. Thanks.
Old 08-23-2021, 12:16 PM   #10
Qwimby1

I've watched the install video several times and have a couple questions. I know I'm not able to safely lift the existing battery out myself. I'm also concerned about shorting and frying the controller. So I think I'll install everything short of the new batteries and have my wrench do those. The compressor obviously isn't restrictive since it only runs intermittently, (though it looks like it would be.) I'll set up the throttle-control switch and readout, but to be safe won't plug into the fuse block.
Then I can drive it to my mechanic and have his guys install the batteries, wire them up and finally plug intro the fuse block.

Does this sound like a good plan?
Old 08-23-2021, 12:19 PM   #11
BlOody_BoOger

Quote:
I've watched the install video several times and have a couple questions. I know I'm not able to safely lift the existing battery out myself. I'm also concerned about shorting and frying the controller. So I think I'll install everything short of the new batteries and have my wrench do those. The compressor obviously isn't restrictive since it only runs intermittently, (though it looks like it would be.) I'll set up the throttle-control switch and readout, but to be safe won't plug into the fuse block.
Then I can drive it to my mechanic and have his guys install the batteries, wire them up and finally plug intro the fuse block.

Does this sound like a good plan?
If you want to be sure to not short it out simply install everything else and once the batteries are in place plug in the esc and turbskie. This way you can be sure every is connected correctly. You can run the car with the phantom in place with stock tune it won't affect it In anyway it may look like a restriction but it's not remember I had two phantoms in my care and even with two it wasn't a restriction.

Old 08-23-2021, 12:32 PM   #12
Qwimby1

Thanks again. I wonder if it would be a good or bad idea to plug a 12v power source into the cigarette lighter to preserve my other settings.
Old 08-23-2021, 01:09 PM   #13
zc06_kisstherain

Drives: SWP BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
If you want to be sure to not short it out simply install everything else and once the batteries are in place plug in the esc and turbskie. This way you can be sure every is connected correctly. You can run the car with the phantom in place with stock tune it won't affect it In anyway it may look like a restriction but it's not remember I had two phantoms in my care and even with two it wasn't a restriction.

i second this. dont make mistake like i did lol
zc06_kisstherain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 01:14 PM   #14
BlOody_BoOger

Quote:
Thanks again. I wonder if it would be a good or bad idea to plug a 12v power source into the cigarette lighter to preserve my other settings.
You don't need to but from my experience you want to buy a home trickle charger they're like 30$ at Costco. The small battery after a while will run out on you especially if you don't daily it. Fir me after a week of not starting it the battery would be dead.