follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing)

Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing) Everything related to the mechanical maintenance of the FR-S and BRZ


User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-20-2020, 02:16 PM   #1
becausethexo
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Drives: Subaru BRZ 2015 Limited
Location: Toronto
Posts: 53
Thanks: 0
Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Maintenance quote

Vehicle: Subaru 15 Automatic



I'm at 135,000 km and I've yet to replace my spark plugs, so I thought now would be a good time.. as well as a Transmission flush + differential fluid + brake fluid etc, except I was quoted $403 labour and $90 parts + tax for the spark plug service.
I found this interesting considering the dealership lists it at $390 + tax, meaning the dealership would be cheaper?


If someone with experience can please look at this and tell me whether any of these are good/bad deals and if I should just do it or look elsewhere, it would be greatly appreciated! They also said "The visual inspection of vehicle components comes with the oil change as a courtesy."


Thanks


Maintenance Quote: https://prnt.sc/skkdct
becausethexo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 03:01 PM   #2
humfrz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Location: Puyallup, WA
Posts: 28,103
Thanks: 25,677
Thanked 28,450 Times in 15,118 Posts
Mentioned: 665 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by becausethexo View Post
Vehicle: Subaru 15 Automatic



I'm at 135,000 km and I've yet to replace my spark plugs, so I thought now would be a good time.. as well as a Transmission flush + differential fluid + brake fluid etc, except I was quoted $403 labour and $90 parts + tax for the spark plug service.
I found this interesting considering the dealership lists it at $390 + tax, meaning the dealership would be cheaper?


If someone with experience can please look at this and tell me whether any of these are good/bad deals and if I should just do it or look elsewhere, it would be greatly appreciated! They also said "The visual inspection of vehicle components comes with the oil change as a courtesy."


Thanks


Maintenance Quote: https://prnt.sc/skkdct
I'm confused - who gave you this quote if it wasn't a dealership?
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 03:07 PM   #3
becausethexo
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Drives: Subaru BRZ 2015 Limited
Location: Toronto
Posts: 53
Thanks: 0
Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
I'm confused - who gave you this quote if it wasn't a dealership?
A mechanic/auto service place I've brought car to recently to get an oil change/tire swap gave me this quote.
becausethexo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to becausethexo For This Useful Post:
humfrz (05-20-2020)
Old 05-20-2020, 03:16 PM   #4
Yoshoobaroo
Seņor Member
 
Yoshoobaroo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Drives: 2013 BRZ
Location: Florida
Posts: 3,091
Thanks: 1,877
Thanked 2,923 Times in 1,445 Posts
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
FWIW, my local Subaru dealer charges 400 USD for sparkplugs, but they only charge 500 USD for the full 60K service.

that includes:
Engine oil, filter
Transmission fluid
Rotate tires
Rear differential fluid
Engine coolant
Air filter
Brake fluid
Pollen filter

AND spark plugs

Might be worth looking into.
Yoshoobaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 06:34 PM   #5
Mr.ac
[insert cool phrase here]
 
Mr.ac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Drives: BRZ Premium
Location: Central Coast CA
Posts: 2,370
Thanks: 709
Thanked 1,556 Times in 928 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Well an auto tranny flush is about $200 or so, and oem spark plugs are $25-30 a piece so....
Besides the auto tranny flush, you could do it all yourself....but for $400 for all that it's not a bad idea to let them do it all.
__________________
New daily driver - Subaru BRZ Premium
Weekend fun/track car - '91 MR2 Turbo Gen3
Old daily driver - '88 MR2 Supercharged
Mr.ac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 07:01 PM   #6
becausethexo
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Drives: Subaru BRZ 2015 Limited
Location: Toronto
Posts: 53
Thanks: 0
Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.ac View Post
Well an auto tranny flush is about $200 or so, and oem spark plugs are $25-30 a piece so....
Besides the auto tranny flush, you could do it all yourself....but for $400 for all that it's not a bad idea to let them do it all.
Oh no for all of it and then some it'll be about $1500 which was very surprising for maintenance!

I attached a link which is a screenshot of the full quote.


Main services in Canadian Dollars:
$265 + tax for auto transmission flush.
$166 + tax for brake fluid.
$494 + tax for spark plugs replacement.
$97 + tax differential fluid exchange.
becausethexo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 07:29 PM   #7
Yoshoobaroo
Seņor Member
 
Yoshoobaroo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Drives: 2013 BRZ
Location: Florida
Posts: 3,091
Thanks: 1,877
Thanked 2,923 Times in 1,445 Posts
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Is that the dealer or an independent shop?
Yoshoobaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 08:11 PM   #8
Mr.ac
[insert cool phrase here]
 
Mr.ac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Drives: BRZ Premium
Location: Central Coast CA
Posts: 2,370
Thanks: 709
Thanked 1,556 Times in 928 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by becausethexo View Post
Oh no for all of it and then some it'll be about $1500 which was very surprising for maintenance!

I attached a link which is a screenshot of the full quote.


Main services in Canadian Dollars:
$265 + tax for auto transmission flush.
$166 + tax for brake fluid.
$494 + tax for spark plugs replacement.
$97 + tax differential fluid exchange.
Oh holy fuck no.
$18 for a napa gold filter. Lol.
Dude for that much money, I would buy a nice tool set with jacks and jack stands and do it all my self. If you have a drive way or know of someone who can let you do work on their drive way or garage I would do that.
__________________
New daily driver - Subaru BRZ Premium
Weekend fun/track car - '91 MR2 Turbo Gen3
Old daily driver - '88 MR2 Supercharged
Mr.ac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 08:48 PM   #9
becausethexo
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Drives: Subaru BRZ 2015 Limited
Location: Toronto
Posts: 53
Thanks: 0
Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.ac View Post
Oh holy fuck no.
$18 for a napa gold filter. Lol.
Dude for that much money, I would buy a nice tool set with jacks and jack stands and do it all my self. If you have a drive way or know of someone who can let you do work on their drive way or garage I would do that.
There's no way I can do this stuff, I have never touched a car underneath before unfortunately.
becausethexo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to becausethexo For This Useful Post:
humfrz (05-20-2020)
Old 05-20-2020, 08:48 PM   #10
becausethexo
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Drives: Subaru BRZ 2015 Limited
Location: Toronto
Posts: 53
Thanks: 0
Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshoobaroo View Post
Is that the dealer or an independent shop?
From the independent shop.
becausethexo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 09:23 PM   #11
Yoshoobaroo
Seņor Member
 
Yoshoobaroo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Drives: 2013 BRZ
Location: Florida
Posts: 3,091
Thanks: 1,877
Thanked 2,923 Times in 1,445 Posts
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by becausethexo View Post
From the independent shop.

I would check with your local dealer. Sounds to me that the independent shop is trying to rip you off.
Yoshoobaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yoshoobaroo For This Useful Post:
humfrz (05-20-2020)
Old 05-20-2020, 11:06 PM   #12
humfrz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Location: Puyallup, WA
Posts: 28,103
Thanks: 25,677
Thanked 28,450 Times in 15,118 Posts
Mentioned: 665 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by becausethexo View Post
There's no way I can do this stuff, I have never touched a car underneath before unfortunately.
In that case, I'd suggest that you just take your car into a dealership and have them do the work.
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 11:44 PM   #13
Mr.ac
[insert cool phrase here]
 
Mr.ac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Drives: BRZ Premium
Location: Central Coast CA
Posts: 2,370
Thanks: 709
Thanked 1,556 Times in 928 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by becausethexo View Post
There's no way I can do this stuff, I have never touched a car underneath before unfortunately.
YouTube it. It is as easy as it looks.
Minus the spark plugs and auto tranny, those I would pay someone to do them. Only because of my bad back and itchy balls, right @humfrz
__________________
New daily driver - Subaru BRZ Premium
Weekend fun/track car - '91 MR2 Turbo Gen3
Old daily driver - '88 MR2 Supercharged
Mr.ac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.ac For This Useful Post:
humfrz (05-21-2020)
Old 05-21-2020, 01:12 AM   #14
humfrz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Location: Puyallup, WA
Posts: 28,103
Thanks: 25,677
Thanked 28,450 Times in 15,118 Posts
Mentioned: 665 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.ac View Post
YouTube it. It is as easy as it looks.
Minus the spark plugs and auto tranny, those I would pay someone to do them. Only because of my bad back and itchy balls, right @humfrz
Well, as far as the itchy balls, I suggest you dust them from time to time with DDT. That gets rid of the crabs.

If it was ONLY my bad back - I got these elbows, knees, shoulders and hips that just don't like concrete floors.

Hell, I have the tools, ramps, jack stands, garage plus the experience and knowledge to do all of those things, but I don't. Why not? Because I'd rather drop my car off at the local shop, have them run me home, I take a nap and they come pick me up when the job is done.

OK, OK, so, I'm old and lazy -

However, I do have a plan. My FR-S now has about 25,000 miles on it, it is about 7 years old. In 7 more years, when it will be do for that 60,000 mile work, I will be 84 years old, and it will be time to trade the old buggy in.

I'm gonna get me one of them level 5, totally self driving cars. Yep, I just get in and tell it where I want to go. It starts itself, backs itself up (that feature sold me) goes and parks itself. When I'm ready, it remembers its way home (another big selling point).

Yep, I got a plan -
Attached Images
 
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
bcj (05-21-2020), Mr.ac (05-22-2020), soundman98 (05-21-2020)
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I just got a quote to fix my car... what do you think? mitama BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics 30 04-20-2019 11:31 AM
12k quote...whattttt? ravenrx7 Forced Induction 50 07-21-2014 08:51 AM
Crazy Quote ravenrx7 Forced Induction 19 07-20-2014 10:12 AM
Favorite Quote Monogram Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] 24 01-17-2014 05:50 AM
Insurance Quote tmigo27 Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions 22 03-19-2012 01:35 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:54 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.