follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

View Poll Results: How many 86 owners are planning on getting the Supra?
I'm definitely getting one 32 12.17%
I might get one if they offer a MT 100 38.02%
No, not me. 131 49.81%
Voters: 263. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Old 03-04-2020, 03:26 PM   #2101
abraxis

Drives: many
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KR-S 86 View Post
The LFA was a flagship for the LEXUS brand, by the way. It may have been Toyota's best car regardless of brand, but it was built as a Lexus and has no place being compared to with regards to Toyota brand flagships.

Ultimately neither you nor I will ever know if Toyota could build a Supra by themselves without resorting to contracting another company to build it for them for 50-60K. It's rather idiotic to assume you know better than a car company about pricing (as evidenced by your C8 bashing) and I'm ashamed to have even entertained your asinine arguments to begin with.
And you just proved my point on every level. I was hoping you'd be able to move on, but clearly have issues seeing the non sequiturs of your own arguments and can't even process basic counterarguments which is why I knew it would be a waste of time to even continue. Sadly your incessant blathering of nonsense and ad hominem attacks begs a response.

Lexus is the premium brand of Toyota, hence you can not have a pinnacle product under their roof branded as a Toyota. The Land Cruiser is branded here as a Lexus. Toyota has been very clear many times about the need to keep the two brand separated when you are asking people to spend more than $60k here in the US for a premium/pinnacle product.

Also, if you actually knew anything about Toyota's history, the LFA represents Toyota history before they even made cars by implementing a carbon fiber loom to harken back to the days when Toyota made cotton looms. The idea that you can disassociate Lexus or the LFA from the Toyota brand is a no go. Lexus wasn't even a brand in Japan for along time, and was formulated for marketing purposes in the West where they didn't perceive Toyota as a quality brand. So they literally slapped a new Lexus badge on the same Toyotas they sold in Japan. Now you expect them to throw out their entire corporate strategy of 20 years so you can have a $90k Supra that very few people will be able to afford just to appease your rabid fanboyness of some personal idealization of what a Supra should be. No I don't think so. It is you who doesn't understand what a car company is trying to do and it's your type of thinking that would prevent more people from having economically democratized access to a frankly awesome car like the current Supra.

But I agree, it shouldn't be compared to the Supra because the Supra was never a $90k-$100k flagship for the Toyota brand. You could get the same 2JZ in a Toyota Cressida ffs. And that's the point, the Supra does NOT belong in the discussion of 'pinnacle' 'flagship' supercars. It is not and never was a 'Halo' product. And if people like you want to have the Supra be the 'flagship' halo car for Toyota, these are the considerations you have to deal with. Brand placement, price points, demand, costs, etc. None of which you have considered adequately bringing me to my next point.

You state neither you nor I will ever know if Toyota would be able to produce the Supra by themselves for $50-$60k on their own and that I'm asinine to presume so. Uhhh....no. The presumptive one here is you. I seriously don't know what rock you've been living under to not know Toyota has come out and said explicitly numerous times that making a Toyota Supra in house with a brand new I-6 would push the costs to nearly double in the 90k territory. But that's not good enough for you? YOU are the one that knows better than the car company!! That's hilarious. But hey, feel free to project your own inadequacy on someone else if if makes you feel better trolling a forum with silly statements like raising the price to $90k would NOT prevent any people from buying a Supra. You should look up a price-demand curve from a basic econ course sometime. Oh yeah, and obviously Toyota did their own math and accounting on producing the fictional Supra that exists in your mind and decided it was a no go. But hey, you know better than the actual car company again! As for the C8, GM has acknowledged they will lose about 10-15k on every supposed $60k vette they sell. Maybe you have heard the media management about economies of scale they have been spouting to pull off their production cost magic? Let me explain that to you since you clearly need some assistance. That means they are burying their losses across their entire production lineup because even with economies of scale, GM conceded that the cost to build one C8 is in the $75k zone. Yes, their figures, not mine. And anyone with any basic engineering or automotive manufacturing knowledge would be able to see that in all the C8 cutaways. That clearly isn't you. You would have to sell the C8 in Corolla numbers year after year to break even at $60k. So yeah, clearly Toyota is not interested in producing your fabricated notion of a Supra and take a bath on every one sold to appease whatever pedestal you have put the Supra on. I wouldn't have even brought up the LFA or other Halo/flagship cars in the toyota lineup except that's the argument people are making for the Supra being a flagship product. Wasn't even my argument, lol. I'm arguing against the idea and siding with Toyota here. The idea of the new Supra as a GT car with more power, track performance and creature comforts than an 86 that is priced in a similar price bracket as the original when adjusted for inflation sits perfectly well with me. Especially since it means I can afford one.

To borrow your own quote, "It's rather idiotic to assume you know better than a car company about pricing" (see your posted quote above)

You are absolutely right about yourself. Can't argue with objective facts. Be careful when you point your finger at someone, you'll have 3 more pointed back right at yourself.

Also, your point about the 86 being a standalone car compared to the Supra is also complete nonsense. Both were developed in pretty much the same way, and do equal measure to pay homage to the spirit of their predecessors and what they brought to the table. If anything, the supra is more standalone for the fact it's a coupe and the Z4 is only a convertible. The irony is the 86 and BRZ share more in common in looks and drive more similarly than the supra and Z4 do despite having more parts bin skews to differentiate them. It's just a silly argument for you to make that offers nothing to the conversation.

Which brings us back to the core argument you were making from the beginning that I disagreed with. No matter how you want to spin it, your claim was precisely that if Toyota could NOT make your ideal version of an in house produced Supra, they shouldn't make any Supra at all. Well, again.....this is just crazy talk. The idea that a world without one is better than with one just screams of an irrational emotional response. There's a place for that kind of sentiment, like a forum. But no true sports car enthusiast wants fewer choices and higher prices that restrict their access. If you don't believe me, ask Toyota and GM because they clearly do know better than you and are not asinine. Refer to your own quote above if you have again lost your line of thought.

I tried to give you a soft out by only quoting tcoat on a tangent to let it die, but you decided to play mr. big shot forum troll and try to pile on by getting into a personal attack for the 3rd time. If you want to continue your cognitive dissonance in full public glory, I'm happy to provide any links, graphs, articles, and venn diagrams to further elucidate how ill informed you appear to be. I was just reposting your own quotes originally because I thought that was more than sufficient for a good chuckle without having to crap all over a forum thread. Even that went over your head. Oh well, no good deed....

Long Live Paul Walker!!

(and LOL at your notion that I'm a C8 basher. Cuz I stated it's bigger and heavier than the last two? You're funny when simple facts turn you into such a passionate hater. I'd be happy to make you a list of issues I have with every car so you could implode. You must have selectively erased memory of my critiques of the Supra and 86 for some reason. Hmmm... I'd be happy to take both the C8 and Supra but for different reasons and utility. They don't really play in the same field or compete with each other for my desires. They do for others somehow, that's their business. I wouldn't pay more than $45k for a Supra and no new C8 will cost that. Supra is a better daily driver in realistic traffic and store hauler with canyon carving and straight line ability, C8 is outright track level performance playing in the 160-210mph range that can do GT duties and non aggressive daily use if you have a big ass parking spot and little traffic during commutes. Sadly my C8 money has been shifted to the Cybertruck atm. Go big or go home. )
abraxis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 04:09 PM   #2102
abraxis

I'd actually be curious to see a poll result on something.

Which is Honda's flagship sports car, the Acura NSX or the Civic Type R?

Cuz if you believe the LFA is not Toyota's flagship sports car, then you have to believe the Civic is Honda's flagship sports car, NOT the NSX.

(btw, the NSX is $160k. They sure are flying off the shelves!! Cuz price don't matter, lol)
Old 03-04-2020, 04:11 PM   #2103
StraightOuttaCanadaEh
Wes

Drives: Artisan Spirits '17 86
Thanked 1,673 Times in 993 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Who cares.
KR-S (03-04-2020)
Old 03-04-2020, 04:23 PM   #2104
abraxis

Quote:
Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanadaEh View Post
Who cares.
apparently people who don't like the current Supra....

I like it and don't give a rat's ass as long as people aren't telling car manufacturers I deserve less choices cuz of their fantasies of what a 'flagship' should be.

I just want to drive and enjoy shit with wheels.
The Following User Says Thank You to abraxis For This Useful Post:
BA9092 (03-04-2020)
Old 03-04-2020, 10:52 PM   #2105
Dave-ROR
Site Moderator

Drives: Stuff
Thanked 5,965 Times in 2,689 Posts
Mentioned: 262 Post(s)
Tagged: 8 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by abraxis View Post
(and LOL at your notion that I'm a C8 basher. Cuz I stated it's bigger and heavier than the last two? You're funny when simple facts turn you into such a passionate hater. I'd be happy to make you a list of issues I have with every car so you could implode. You must have selectively erased memory of my critiques of the Supra and 86 for some reason. Hmmm... I'd be happy to take both the C8 and Supra but for different reasons and utility. They don't really play in the same field or compete with each other for my desires. They do for others somehow, that's their business. I wouldn't pay more than $45k for a Supra and no new C8 will cost that. Supra is a better daily driver in realistic traffic and store hauler with canyon carving and straight line ability, C8 is outright track level performance playing in the 160-210mph range that can do GT duties and non aggressive daily use if you have a big ass parking spot and little traffic during commutes. Sadly my C8 money has been shifted to the Cybertruck atm. Go big or go home. )
For $45k, or less really, a Camaro SS 1LE is a far better car. And manual. So I guess if you can't drive a manual then the BMW is the better car for you.

Whatever though I'm certainly not the target market for the Supra.
Tow: 2022 F-450
Toys: 2001 Chevrolet Corvette Z06, 1993 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1994 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
Parts: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited, 2005 Acura TSX
Projects: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited track car build
FS: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 LT CCSB 8.1/Allison with 99k miles
Dave-ROR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave-ROR For This Useful Post:
KR-S (03-04-2020)
Old 03-04-2020, 10:54 PM   #2106
jflogerzi

Drives: 2013 Series 10 6MT FR-S
Thanked 2,003 Times in 1,451 Posts
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-ROR View Post
For $45k, or less really, a Camaro SS 1LE is a far better car. And manual. So I guess if you can't drive a manual then the BMW is the better car for you.

Agreed. For a pure track car nothing beats the ss 1le

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk
2013 Series 10 FRS #553
RCE T2's, SPC LCAs -4/2.6 camber
JDL 4-2-1 EL, FP and OP, Tuned by Zach@CSG on e85
RR Wilwood Front/Rear Sport BBK, Motul 600 Fluid
ARC-8 17x9 SX2 GTs 245s/Koing 17x8 v730's 225's
jflogerzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 11:17 PM   #2107
KR-S
Sporadic Member

Drives: 2016 Halo FR-S M/T
Thanked 3,552 Times in 1,746 Posts
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
Quote:
*long-winded fanboy essay*
Damn. I must be doing something right if I could piss you off to the point you have to spout some drivel about Toyota history. Stopped reading after you said you could get a factory 2JZ in a Cressida BTW, except for the part where you want to present graphs, articles, etc. Please, be my guest.

What was that about moving on now?
Quote:
Originally Posted by HueyLooie View Post
Nah, homes. It's your dadda's hot goopey goop.
KR-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 11:38 PM   #2108
KR-S
Sporadic Member

Quote:
apparently people who don't like the current Supra....

I like it and don't give a rat's ass as long as people aren't telling car manufacturers I deserve less choices cuz of their fantasies of what a 'flagship' should be.

I just want to drive and enjoy shit with wheels.
That's good that you like the Supra. Never heard of anyone telling car makers you deserve less choices, just people with valid opinions about the new Supra, good and bad. Gotta take 'em both, buddy. This isn't an echo chamber.
Quote:
Old 03-04-2020, 11:46 PM   #2109
Dave-ROR
Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jflogerzi View Post
Agreed. For a pure track car nothing beats the ss 1le

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk
Once you adjust the mirrors it's actually a great street car also (gets rid of the #1 complaint about the car).

31mpg @70mph with CC set. Very usable power. 2SS gets you heated and cooled seats, plus heated steering wheel. Great seats. Truck is usable but the opening does suck. Backseat folds down for access though. Has backseats unlike the Supra, although usefulness is debatable..

It's actually a fantastic car for the money in my experience.

Now.. the ZL1 1LE.. it shows an average MPG over the last 400 miles of 4.1mpg... oh well.
Toys: 2001 Chevrolet Corvette Z06, 1993 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1994 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
Old 03-04-2020, 11:46 PM   #2110
Dave-ROR
Site Moderator

Quote:
Damn. I must be doing something right if I could piss you off to the point you have to spout some drivel about Toyota history. Stopped reading after you said you could get a factory 2JZ in a Cressida BTW, except for the part where you want to present graphs, articles, etc. Please, be my guest.

What was that about moving on now?
LOL I didn't read his essay.. but as a Cressida enthusiast and owner.. wtf.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave-ROR For This Useful Post:
KR-S (03-04-2020)
Old 03-05-2020, 12:11 AM   #2111
KR-S
Sporadic Member

@abraxis, are you aware that the legendary Toyota 2000GT, widely regarded as Japan's first supercar, has a motor that isn't too far off from what you could find in other Toyota passenger cars of that time period? Just an FYI to do some research before labeling the Supra as unworthy of being a flagship sports car.
Quote:
Old 03-05-2020, 03:17 AM   #2112
abraxis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-ROR View Post

not into big fat heavy cars. too each their own. the physical dimensions are just too large to enjoy in the canyons or in congested traffic. not my style of driving. would make more sense to save up 15k more and get the C8. assuming I could live with the Chinese made parts and QC issues like stitching and paint. But I guess if one can't left foot brake and prefers the fun of slower lap times of manuals versus consistent trail braking and throttle management, the Camaro could be an option.

For daily driving the Supra is better imho.

Better 0-60, 0-100, 1/4 mile, braking 70-0, lateral Gs, more MPG, tighter turning circle, 16 inches shorter, easier to park, easier to cut thru traffic, larger trunk and 10dB quieter at idle and 70mph cruise than the Camaro. Toyota support versus GM. Sounds like a better daily driver for my needs. And if I want a track car I'm getting the C8. Assuming it's a high speed track like COTA or Buttonwillow. Supra would be more fun on Streets of Willow. I'd venture to guess the Supra is actually stiffer than the C8 chassis. Would be curious to see the comparison. Could be wrong.

Last edited by abraxis; 03-05-2020 at 04:32 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to abraxis For This Useful Post:
BA9092 (03-05-2020), yelsew (03-05-2020)
Old 03-05-2020, 03:35 AM   #2113
abraxis

Quote:
@abraxis, are you aware that the legendary Toyota 2000GT, widely regarded as Japan's first supercar, has a motor that isn't too far off from what you could find in other Toyota passenger cars of that time period? Just an FYI to do some research before labeling the Supra as unworthy of being a flagship sports car.
Lol, the engine you probably didn't know was made by Yamaha for Nissan and how the 2000GT was an aborted project with Nissan (due to Z-car) that Toyota picked up and finalized? Do you have any idea what the production numbers were of the 2000GT and how rare it was? Do you know how many speed records the 2000GT broke when it came out? Do have any idea wtf you are even trying to say comparing the the 2000GT with the Supra?? What a joke dude.

The funny thing about the 2JZ and the Supra was it wasn't legendary for how it came from the factory, but how it was tuned by the aftermarket and tuners. In stock form, few people liked it and even fewer people bought it. And it's greatest claim to popular fame was being in a bad movie. The 2000GT was an instant classic. All these granular details and contexts might be too much for you to absorb, but try to keep up. I'll save you some 'research'.

The fact you think it's not okay to compare the LFA to the Supra and is okay to compare the 2000GT to the Supra displays exactly how silly and random your analyses are. You have zero coherence or consistency which is why you should actually move on like you recommended a few posts before you decided you couldn't actually take your own advice. LOL!! Keep it up!

What do you want to talk about next? Look forward to your next random post while you pretend to not read any actual responses to your bad arguments so you can save face; or just being educated by you on these car thingies from your next google search ('research').

Still waiting for you to figure out how to move on....

Last edited by abraxis; 03-05-2020 at 03:54 AM.
Old 03-05-2020, 03:59 AM   #2114
abraxis

Quote:
That's good that you like the Supra. Never heard of anyone telling car makers you deserve less choices, just people with valid opinions about the new Supra, good and bad. Gotta take 'em both, buddy. This isn't an echo chamber.
Do you ever read your own words? Just curious....seriously. You seem to think you have a monopoly on revisionism and incoherence as a truth. it's weird as heck. I also don't think you actually know what term 'valid' means as a deductive form of logic. You'd be lucky to attain 'cogent' on a good day it seems.

research that sometime instead of trolling yourself in this thread some more. move on dude.