follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] For all off-topic discussion topics.

User Tag List

Old 06-06-2016, 05:49 PM   #43
krayzie
Drive From Home

Drives: BRZ STI Performance
Thanked 3,111 Times in 2,007 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I think Chris Evans' thick rimmed glasses and colored hair along with his clown outfits just to mask his close to pensioner's age are more annoying.

Why can't we go back to having a serious motoring show like Motorvision?
krayzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 07:53 PM   #44
00NissanNinja
The Thread Lurker

Drives: '14 BRZ, '17 GTI, MT09
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I knew I probably wasn't going to like Chris Evans, and lo and behold, yeah not a fan. Too yappy almost like a sports announcer, feels like he is yelling all the time too. Well hopefully he improves. Matt seemed chill to me though, has potential.
00NissanNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 12:54 PM   #45
bcj
Geo Tyrebighter Esq

Drives: '13 scion fr-s
Thanked 4,981 Times in 2,197 Posts
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Garage
Can't help but notice the ethnic loading between Top and Extra.
Wtf BBC? Even Chris Harris can't get a pass.
Old 06-07-2016, 01:15 PM   #46
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,939 Times in 11,376 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZetaVI View Post
...Unlike others, I'll give the first season a chance to see if I'll continue as a viewer.
I'll give the show a fair shot, heck I still watch TG:USA. Chris Evans, well, I agree if he calmed down, he might be tolerable, but I just don't see it happening.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 01:16 PM   #47
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcj View Post
Can't help but notice the ethnic loading between Top and Extra.
Wtf BBC? Even Chris Harris can't get a pass.

Old 06-07-2016, 01:20 PM   #48
FX86
Banned

Drives: on the wrongside of the road
Thanked 2,087 Times in 1,015 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
they should just have the stig and all his cousins and rejects host the show and be the drivers.

call it TopStig

Last edited by FX86; 06-07-2016 at 01:39 PM.
FX86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to FX86 For This Useful Post:
chaoskaze (06-08-2016), Dadhawk (06-07-2016), kritch (06-07-2016), MrFisty (06-09-2016)
Old 06-07-2016, 01:51 PM   #49
DAEMANO
Time Traveller

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS - Raven
Thanked 3,416 Times in 1,677 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Episode 2 was a BIG step in the right direction.

What worked for me

-Both the McClaren and the performance SUV segments were actually fun, interesting, and engaging.

-Much better overall chemistry with the whole cast. The interplay seemed genuine, and the cast seemed to have enthusiasm for the trip to South Africa that the old cast had started to shrug off as "old hat".

-Less Chris Evans this go around and more Joey. LeBlanc leading off nearly all segments worked better. Evans is better as a "color" man.

-A more enthusiastic studio audience.

-Cinematography and driving action are still top notch.

-Stig with the McClaren at the test track was VERY good. That car looks as fast as it is. Evan's play-by-play was still kind of annoying. I'd like to see Harris doing this part and actually giving insight into Stig's driving.

- Solid content on Extra gear like...

-Harris' segment at the racetrack (even though short) was something this cast can really expand on. They have the legit track chops with Jordan, Sabine and Harris.

- Rory is still quite a bit more natural on the couch than either Evans or LeBlanc. Although I thought he was a tad too contrarian this go around.

- Still, the comedian Rory interviewed was pretty darn funny and likeable. I've never seen the guy before.

A couple things to still work on.

-Continue to solidify each presenter's role on the show. This should take some time as each presenter's style becomes more evident.

-New standard questions for the guests. The "competition" about who's first car, and best car the audience liked best is still an uncomfortable and unnecessary way to get the rallycross results. Also, the watersplash and jump have little "skill" elements to them and therefore come off as gimmicky and boring. Fix this.

-There's still a noticeable echo from their new big concrete studio on Extra gear. Boom mics are not working. Lapel mics are needed.

-The timbre of Evans' voice doesn't work on television as it is. Needs some EQ on that high pitched tone.

Overall a marked improvement. I'm kind of surprised this wasn't episode 1 as it was so much better than the first show, but then again, they probably took lessons learned from that show to improve this one. It's good to see the showrunners are paying attention and willing to tweak where necessary. A fair amount of C/H/M fans want to see this edition fail. I personally want to see more gearhead content, and not less. C/H/M are still making a show even more to their liking. Vive la difference.
DAEMANO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 01:57 PM   #50
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAEMANO View Post
-New standard questions for the guests. The "competition" about who's first car, and best car the audience liked best is still an uncomfortable and unnecessary way to get the rallycross results. Also, the watersplash and jump have little "skill" elements to them and therefore come off as gimmicky and boring. Fix this.
This whole changing the reasonably priced car to the rallycross just seemed forced and an unnecessary attempt to show "we aren't the same as those other guys were". I know rallycross is the "next (or current) big thing" but it added nothing to the segment, and frankly just annoyed me.

Good write-up though. Haven't watched the episode yet, but your description gives me some hope.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (06-07-2016)
Old 06-07-2016, 02:01 PM   #51
DAEMANO
Time Traveller

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
This whole changing the reasonably priced car to the rallycross just seemed forced and an unnecessary attempt to show "we aren't the same as those other guys were". I know rallycross is the "next (or current) big thing" but it added nothing to the segment, and frankly just annoyed me.

Good write-up though. Haven't watched the episode yet, but your description gives me some hope.
That's a fair criticism. I'm not certain that switching from the reasonably priced car to rallycross will pay off. I noticed quite a few Mini advertisements during the episode which leads me to believe that BMW may have offered some coin to get Mini's into the show (which could explain the change). Or perhaps that means nothing at all. I'm sure the story will come eventually. In any case, the celebs who ran the rallycross seemed to be genuinely excited at the results this time around which was infectious and overall good for the show.
The Following User Says Thank You to DAEMANO For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (06-07-2016)
Old 06-07-2016, 03:34 PM   #52
DAEMANO
Time Traveller

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AznKirby View Post
Canned laughter
Not sure if serious...

More people visibly laughing and cheering in the studio audience this week over last was pretty noticeable to me. The reactions seemed to come at natural moments, instead of all humorous moments, like a laugh track would be. Not saying you're wrong, the audience could have been paid to cheer or a laugh track laid over them in post. Still, that's kind of a goofy claim. So was this your observation, haterade or just a joke (honestly, I can't tell)? Got a link or some video to back it up?

Last edited by DAEMANO; 06-07-2016 at 03:50 PM.
Old 06-07-2016, 04:26 PM   #53
ZetaVI
Gundam Meister

Drives: A Gundam
Thanked 1,010 Times in 510 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:

IMO, I think it was a way to save money on car review and challenge segments. They don't have nearly as many as before. The reasonably priced car challenge takes majority of the shows time now. It drags on so long it's pretty terrible.
ZetaVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 10:42 PM   #54
reni
Nobody beats the B[I|R]Z

Drives: shopping cart i stole from walmart
Thanked 1,145 Times in 456 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
This.

It really just served to highlight how much of the "new" show is just a crappy imitation of everything Clarkson did.
reni is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to reni For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (06-08-2016)
Old 06-08-2016, 05:17 PM   #55
tyrantcf

Drives: '16 WRX, CBR1000RR
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
I don't care for this new iteration. It's far too similar to the Clarkson, Hammond and May show, the dialogue is extremely forced, and I just don't think Chris Evans and friends will ever be able to live up to what was left behind.
Old 06-11-2016, 08:36 PM   #56
chaoskaze
The Fail Boat

Drives: CWP S.B.
Thanked 1,293 Times in 873 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
mainwhile richard been doing this recently. :p

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCRSafiD4BY"]Four Point Landings | Science of Stupid - YouTube[/ame]
chaoskaze is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chaoskaze For This Useful Post:
Chaetagnath (06-13-2016), krayzie (06-13-2016)

Tags
top gear uk