follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 12-25-2014, 09:58 PM   #1
WatchmaN

Drives: the girls crazy
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Need your expertise(clutch and tranny)

Ok here's the the deal I had problem with my transmission, so I went to the dealer and said they had to change the tranny. So since they were changing the tranny I ask them to change the clutch too for a Bully stage 4 clutch.

I pick up the car and drove home, but I notice the shifting was not smooth, first gear I could hear a clunk when I was putting into position, then second does'nt want to go in all the time, sometime I have to press the clutch a second time to go in or double clutch with rev match, at low rpm like 2,5k it does'nt want to go in. Today I drove for 45 min and arrive home, I could here a click click click in continue, I thought it was coming from the engine but no, when I press on the clutch(on idle) the sound goes away and come back when I let go.

So do I have a faulty tranny again? did they put the wrong oïl, or it is normal since I have a performance clutch? Now the dealer is close so no way to check with them.

What is you guy's thought on this?

thanks, Paul

ps: my girlfriend as the same car so I know how it shift normally, her's is smooth like butter in every gear
Vortech SC(314hp/226tq), Perrin pully, Tanabe strut tower bar, Perrin exhaust, LP Tune, hsd coilovers, DTC-60 fr, hp+rear),track rubber RS3 and Continental :-), Forester oem oil cooler,Custom brake cooling kit. Driveway lab rear diffuser, Wasp front spliter, TRD canard/fenders.

Last edited by WatchmaN; 12-25-2014 at 10:21 PM.
WatchmaN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 12:41 AM   #2
Parix

Drives: 2013 White FR-S MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
From what I understand, the transmission is clunky/notchy for the first few thousand miles.

Also, I've found that the transmission is pretty noisy in general.

The clicking at idle is a bit odd though. I would guess it's normal, but I would still have the dealership check it out regardless.
Parix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 02:09 AM   #3
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,470 Times in 4,993 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
New transmission?

Dealership should have instructed you to treat it like a whole new car: 1k miles of break-in procedure just like the last time a fresh tranny was installed.

But many people ignore that anyway, feel free to have the dealership try again and realize that the shifting will likely be a lot less smooth with a more aggressive clutch.

Edit: Clunk into first is normal when you're at a stop and you've been in neutral, you're slowing the transmission input shaft from a couple hundred rpm to zero, all cars do it, this one has very little sound deadening so you hear it.

Last edited by strat61caster; 12-26-2014 at 03:31 AM.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
Teseo (12-26-2014), Ultramaroon (12-26-2014)
Old 12-26-2014, 07:31 AM   #4
WatchmaN

yeah for the first gear i'm not too worried, but to double clutch for second even if the car is hot thats another storie, and the clicking sound when the car is hot at idle that get's me more scare. Did'nt have those problem when I first bought the car new.
Vortech SC(314hp/226tq), Perrin pully, Tanabe strut tower bar, Perrin exhaust, LP Tune, hsd coilovers, DTC-60 fr, hp+rear),track rubber RS3 and Continental :-), Forester oem oil cooler,Custom brake cooling kit. Driveway lab rear diffuser, Wasp front spliter, TRD canard/fenders.
Old 12-26-2014, 10:00 AM   #5
kiichiro
corolla specs/GTR looks

Drives: ooh oooh pretty tail lights
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Adjust clutch height on pedal
That was fun, thanks Hachi
kiichiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 10:50 AM   #6
WatchmaN

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiichiro View Post
Adjust clutch height on pedal

I did the clutch ajustement mod awhile ago, so you mean put it higher?
Old 12-26-2014, 10:51 AM   #7
Teseo

Drives: frs
Thanked 2,919 Times in 1,767 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Also try to put more rpm before changing gears
Teseo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 10:58 AM   #8
WatchmaN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teseo View Post
Also try to put more rpm before changing gears
Yes that's what I do and it works better, but what about that noise when hot. here a video from somebody that is exactly like mine.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXEi3uep5go"]M35 Getrag gearbox/dual mass flywheel noise? - YouTube[/ame]
Old 12-26-2014, 05:34 PM   #9
kiichiro
corolla specs/GTR looks

Drives: ooh oooh pretty tail lights
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchmaN View Post
yup, try it, cant really hurt rite?
That was fun, thanks Hachi
kiichiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 06:23 PM   #10
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,469 Times in 18,894 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchmaN View Post
Are you sure they even filled it?
Old 12-27-2014, 05:38 AM   #11
mike the snake

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
clicking/clunking at idle is just the gears clacking due to no load and the engine not spinning smoothly at idle.

The hard to shift/engage 2nd sounds like you need an adjustment that pushes the clutch in further when you push the pedal.
mike the snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 11:45 AM   #12
WatchmaN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
Are you sure they even filled it?

First thing I thought lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike the snake View Post
clicking/clunking at idle is just the gears clacking due to no load and the engine not spinning smoothly at idle.

The hard to shift/engage 2nd sounds like you need an adjustment that pushes the clutch in further when you push the pedal.

but why does it do it only after a long ride? For the second it's getting better, my friend had a good point since I use the oem clutch bearing maybe it can't handle a clutch that stiff and when it get's hot the metal expend thus the noise.
Old 12-27-2014, 02:02 PM   #13
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,469 Times in 18,894 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
I bet the transmission is just super tight because it's a brand new build. The clutch is disengaging completely because the sound goes away when you push the clutch.

Maybe it's underfilled?

How far from the floor can you lift your pedal before the input shaft starts rotating? About an inch is good.

Don't worry about the throwout bearing. Your friend is wrong.

The sound you hear is exactly what Mike said. Lots of trannys do it. I say doublecheck the oil level, give it 5K to start breaking in, and post results. I'm staying subbed.
Old 12-27-2014, 02:30 PM   #14
WatchmaN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
I bet the transmission is just super tight because it's a brand new build. The clutch is disengaging completely because the sound goes away when you push the clutch.

Maybe it's underfilled?

How far from the floor can you lift your pedal before the input shaft starts rotating? About an inch is good.

Don't worry about the throwout bearing. Your friend is wrong.

The sound you hear is exactly what Mike said. Lots of trannys do it. I say doublecheck the oil level, give it 5K to start breaking in, and post results. I'm staying subbed.

It's getting better at shifting so maybe it's just the breaking in of the clutch and tranny at the same time. I'm going for a long ride, i'll see if it's still doing that noise when hot. keep you guy's posted. But I will contact the dealer when the re-open to make sure, cause when they changed it Under warranty they said the would'nt do it again cause i'm FI.