follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 2nd Gens: GR86 and BRZ > BRZ Second-Gen (2022+) -- General Topics

BRZ Second-Gen (2022+) -- General Topics General topics for the second-gen BRZ

User Tag List

Old 04-24-2022, 05:16 PM   #1
Powersfrs

Drives: Frs
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Would the 1st gen steering rack fit 2nd Gen

I had a 2013 Frs and the steering on that car was amazing. I had the car for 2 years on kw V3 with 255 tires. That was 8 years ago. I now have a 2022 BRZ and the steering is very vague and slower (ratio wise) compared to last gen. Toyota said they changed the ratio and the motor but from what I can see it’s the same assembly. The steering rack seems to be the same from last gen. I wanna swapt the steering rack cause I’m assuming that’s were the gears are. I’m not sure if I’ll have any issue with the electric motor or the computer. If anyone has any knowledge of this I would really appreciate it.
PBR (04-27-2022)
Old 04-24-2022, 05:53 PM   #2
CedN

Drives: 2013 GT86 fully standard
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powersfrs View Post
I had a 2013 Frs and the steering on that car was amazing. I had the car for 2 years on kw V3 with 255 tires. That was 8 years ago. I now have a 2022 BRZ and the steering is very vague and slower (ratio wise) compared to last gen. Toyota said they changed the ratio and the motor but from what I can see it’s the same assembly. The steering rack seems to be the same from last gen. I wanna swapt the steering rack cause I’m assuming that’s were the gears are. I’m not sure if I’ll have any issue with the electric motor or the computer. If anyone has any knowledge of this I would really appreciate it.

Didn't they also move the motor from the colum to the rack,might complicate things? Its saddens me to hear about the steering, its absolutely one of the best features of the GT86, it makes driving fun at all speeds.
Old 04-24-2022, 06:38 PM   #3
Powersfrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedN View Post
Didn't they also move the motor from the colum to the rack,might complicate things? Its saddens me to hear about the steering, its absolutely one of the best features of the GT86, it makes driving fun at all speeds.
I haven’t seen anything about the motor.. The steering rack for the gr86 is identical. I’ll take the panels off and check to see.
But yes huge difference is steering feel it’s a shame.
Dirty Harry (04-24-2022)
Old 04-24-2022, 08:08 PM   #4
Dirty Harry

Drives: 2013 BRZ Satin White Pearl
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
But yes huge difference is steering feel it’s a shame.
Yeah agree, sometimes you wonder if it’s just you noticing the difference as the journos have been giving rave reviews and not many talk about the steering feel. I definitely noticed and didn’t like it. My main gripe with the new car as there are a lot of other positives. It’s something Toyota and Subaru didn’t need to fix. Not quite sure why the messed with it and I’ll likely now keep my first gen and maybe up the power so it’s similar.

Good luck with trying to fix it.
Dirty Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 12:41 AM   #5
Powersfrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Harry View Post
Yeah agree, sometimes you wonder if it’s just you noticing the difference as the journos have been giving rave reviews and not many talk about the steering feel. I definitely noticed and didn’t like it. My main gripe with the new car as there are a lot of other positives. It’s something Toyota and Subaru didn’t need to fix. Not quite sure why the messed with it and I’ll likely now keep my first gen and maybe up the power so it’s similar.

Good luck with trying to fix it.
Journalist drive so many cars a week now that they loose track.
After I installed the kw and new 255 ps4s on my 2022 BRZ the steering got a lot sharper but still not as quick with a wonderful off center feel like a stock 2017 BRZ.
The new engine is such a sweetheart I kinda forgive Toyota for the steering
Although if I could change it I will.
Dirty Harry (04-25-2022)
Old 04-25-2022, 12:44 AM   #6
eyeballs

Drives: '22 BRZ
Quote:
Have you gotten the new car aligned yet? All the toe-in on the stock alignment will dampen the steering response. Also, stiffer suspension (like you had on the old car) will improve steering response. You may want to consider those before swapping out the rack, if you haven't already.
eyeballs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to eyeballs For This Useful Post:
PBR (04-26-2022)
Old 04-25-2022, 01:17 AM   #7
Powersfrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeballs View Post
Have you gotten the new car aligned yet? All the toe-in on the stock alignment will dampen the steering response. Also, stiffer suspension (like you had on the old car) will improve steering response. You may want to consider those before swapping out the rack, if you haven't already.
I’m running kw V3 …18 9.5 255ps4s
Aligned and cornered balance.
After doing these mods the steering did improve a lot but no where near a stock 2017 BRZ.
Old 04-25-2022, 03:18 PM   #8
DylanJZA

Drives: GR86 Premium AT Trueno Blue
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I often drive a 2020 Hakone back to back with my 2022 and I don't think the difference is all that crazy tbh. It's definitely not quite as direct, but I don't feel it's that big of a deal.

EDIT: I should clarify that by directness I meant the weight, but it's better to say it's just as direct with less weight as some others commented on the next page.

Last edited by DylanJZA; 04-28-2022 at 06:25 PM.
DylanJZA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 04:45 PM   #9
Powersfrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylanJZA View Post
I often drive a 2020 Hakone back to back with my 2022 and I don't think the difference is all that crazy tbh. It's definitely not quite as direct, but I don't feel it's that big of a deal.
Gotcha
Old 04-25-2022, 10:29 PM   #10
Midnightsky

Drives: 2022 BRZ WRB
I did 25 runs at autocross yesterday with 225/50/R16 Hankook RS-4's, the steering felt good. I did not find it vague at all, did everything I asked it to and completely blew me away. I am super pumped for this coming Saturdays next autocross event, and then drifting on Sunday. To me, the handling is absolutely fingertips, exactly what you want for autocross/track days, ect.
Midnightsky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Midnightsky For This Useful Post:
PBR (04-27-2022)
Old 04-27-2022, 02:37 AM   #11
Powersfrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightsky View Post
I did 25 runs at autocross yesterday with 225/50/R16 Hankook RS-4's, the steering felt good. I did not find it vague at all, did everything I asked it to and completely blew me away. I am super pumped for this coming Saturdays next autocross event, and then drifting on Sunday. To me, the handling is absolutely fingertips, exactly what you want for autocross/track days, ect.
Have you driven the previous gen?
Midnightsky (04-27-2022)
Old 04-27-2022, 02:04 PM   #12
CincyJohn

Drives: 2022 MT Neptune GR86 Prem.
Quote:
Have you driven the previous gen?
I've owned both. I don't notice a difference. But then, I am not an autocross/racer so I don't discount those who say that the Gen1 is more direct. But I don't feel it ...
CincyJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 02:29 PM   #13
Powersfrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyJohn View Post
I've owned both. I don't notice a difference. But then, I am not an autocross/racer so I don't discount those who say that the Gen1 is more direct. But I don't feel it ...
Wow it’s actually pretty obvious especially when you drive them back to back.
Any who I’ll swapt the racks and find out myself if there’s any issues.
I’ll report back when done.
Ohio Enthusiast (04-27-2022), PBR (04-27-2022)
Old 04-27-2022, 02:31 PM   #14
PBR

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited 6 speed manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyJohn View Post
I've owned both. I find the new steering to be lighter but not lacking in "feel." It doesn't have the off center dead spot like my '13 but also doesn't have that nice extra bit of weight to it. Weight and feel are not the same thing. Anyways, find the newer steering more direct, precise with no "feel" dampened out. Just lighter and feels great in spirited driving and opposite lock. After Bilstein B8s/Swift Spec R/Rear LCA/ - 1 camber all around with a bit of rear toe out, it hasn't felt any heavier. I do miss that extra bit of weight but appreciate that i find it more direct and precise.
PBR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PBR For This Useful Post:
DylanJZA (04-27-2022)