follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing)

Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing) Everything related to the mechanical maintenance of the FR-S and BRZ

User Tag List

Old 07-16-2012, 10:38 AM   #15
Rossman

Drives: '22 BRZ, '17 BRZ (prev '13 FR-S)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Hopefully that's all it is! Please let us know how it goes, and good luck!
Rossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 05:09 PM   #16
jedibow
post whore extraordinaire

Drives: 2013 Asphalt Grey FR-S 2003 Evo 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Abner View Post
*UPDATE*

Toyota inspected my car. They said everything seems to be fine, and the tech thinks it's bad gas. He said the knock sensor is reading right. The ECU is reading right. Fuel trims are reading right. He suggested to burn through the tank and a partial of a fresh tank and see what happens. After refilling, reset the code and see if it stays off.

If fuel doesn't fix it, he said he'll have to keep the car while he discusses with Toyota on further testing to locate the problem.

I will continue updating once I finish this tank and get a fresh tank.
Did the car return to normal mapping? Is it still in safe mode? I would imagine that once the indicator was removed it would have, just asking for clarification...

G

He's obviously a very knowledgable landscaper.
jedibow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 09:47 PM   #17
Lil Abner

Drives: 2013 FR-S, 6MT, Ultramarine
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedibow View Post
Did the car return to normal mapping? Is it still in safe mode? I would imagine that once the indicator was removed it would have, just asking for clarification...

G
No, the car is STILL in safe mode. And a DOG in the morning when it's cold. I kept driving this evening to burn the gas off, and refilled with fresh 93 today. Hopefully by tomorrow evening I should burn through 1/4 tank and I'll know more. I hope it is good news.....
Lil Abner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 09:51 PM   #18
ahausheer
Re-member

Drives: Toyota camry
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Bad gas causes knock on only one bank? How does that work? Also, I thought there were knock sensors for each cylinder, perhaps I am wrong. Anyway keep the community updated as this progresses. Thanks for posting
Old 07-16-2012, 09:54 PM   #19
Lil Abner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahausheer View Post
Bad gas causes knock on only one bank? How does that work?
The Tech told me the engine is "very sensitive." In response, a co-worker asked if the engine was PMSing.

To answer your question......I have no clue......
Old 07-17-2012, 07:00 PM   #20
Lil Abner

*UPDATE*

The master tech at the dealership is sending my data dump to Toyota tomorrow to get their input on the issue. He said they should have an answer to what to replace/do by tomorrow afternoon. He's also hoping it's just a knock sensor, and he expects it to be a standard Subaru sensor.
Old 07-20-2012, 03:36 PM   #21
jedibow

Garage
Abner, that is crap... Much like ahauseer stated bad gas would effect each individual cylinder, not just one side. I still think it is a bad knock sensor, however keep your head up toyota will take care of you. I still can't wrap my mind around why the car is still in safe mode??? It would have to be an ongoing issue to keep the car in safe mode, fortunately that also points to a faulty sensor. I can't believe some of the dealership mechanics nowadays, they understand how to pull a code, read a manual, but have completely loss the ability to trouble shoot, Sad really.

G

Old 07-20-2012, 03:40 PM   #22
Jordo!
Enjoy it, destroy it.

Drives: Datsun Racing Hen
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Yeesh.

First model year woes... probably an overly sensitive knock sensor.

Good luck.
Jordo! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 05:34 PM   #23
Lil Abner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedibow View Post
Abner, that is crap... Much like ahauseer stated bad gas would effect each individual cylinder, not just one side. I still think it is a bad knock sensor, however keep your head up toyota will take care of you. I still can't wrap my mind around why the car is still in safe mode??? It would have to be an ongoing issue to keep the car in safe mode, fortunately that also points to a faulty sensor. I can't believe some of the dealership mechanics nowadays, they understand how to pull a code, read a manual, but have completely loss the ability to trouble shoot, Sad really.

G
The master tech working on my car seems very knowledgeable. However, he seems hesitant to swap the sensor without Toyota's approval since it is a first model year. Today is day 3 that the data has supposedly been at Toyota for analysis, and still nothing. I'm getting anxious. I might stop in and have the tech swap knock sensor between the banks to confirm it IS the sensor.
Old 07-20-2012, 05:41 PM   #24
jedibow

Garage
Quote:
The master tech working on my car seems very knowledgeable. However, he seems hesitant to swap the sensor without Toyota's approval since it is a first model year. Today is day 3 that the data has supposedly been at Toyota for analysis, and still nothing. I'm getting anxious. I might stop in and have the tech swap knock sensor between the banks to confirm it IS the sensor.
You may want to ask him to pull the sensor and check for continuity, that will tell him if the sensor is bad without having to install another one, or swap the other sensor around.

G

Old 07-31-2012, 07:18 PM   #25
Lil Abner

As a sad update, my car has been at the dealership for 1 week. Toyota sent an engineer to "inspect" the car last week, and found nothing. His final suggestion was "it's not the gas, replace the knock sensor." WOW! I could have told them that!

So the knock sensor was ordered, and arrived today. However, the dealership won't install it until tomorrow morning. So if the knock sensor does NOT fix the problem, and something else needs to be ordered, there's another week.

Am I pissed? YES! It's been almost 3 weeks since the problem occurred. The dealership doesn't seem to be in a hurry, and Toyota doesn't seem concerned. If they have to hold my car beyond tomorrow, I will go from frustrated customer to irate!

On a plus/minus note, they gave me a 2012 Scion tC to drive. Plus because the car is free. Minus because it's a tC!!
Old 10-20-2014, 06:36 PM   #26
Mikeez
Engineering Student

Drives: Scion FR-S 2015
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
how do you read the error code?
How do you put car on Safe mode?
Mikeez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 11:44 AM   #27
legendz

Drives: corolla 2008
Quote:
As a sad update, my car has been at the dealership for 1 week. Toyota sent an engineer to "inspect" the car last week, and found nothing. His final suggestion was "it's not the gas, replace the knock sensor." WOW! I could have told them that!

So the knock sensor was ordered, and arrived today. However, the dealership won't install it until tomorrow morning. So if the knock sensor does NOT fix the problem, and something else needs to be ordered, there's another week.

Am I pissed? YES! It's been almost 3 weeks since the problem occurred. The dealership doesn't seem to be in a hurry, and Toyota doesn't seem concerned. If they have to hold my car beyond tomorrow, I will go from frustrated customer to irate!

On a plus/minus note, they gave me a 2012 Scion tC to drive. Plus because the car is free. Minus because it's a tC!!

Hi any solution this code p0328 i have corolla 08 with this code and change knock sensor, check circuit, check harness and nothing.. the code is intermitent.. do you habe solution about this....?
legendz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 12:04 PM   #28
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeez View Post
how do you read the error code?
How do you put car on Safe mode?
Use cheap obd code scanner like this Android Torque software is good.

http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_f...lm327&_sacat=0

Car will go into "safe mode" when the ECU or possibly the Transmission computer detects a significant problem or a sensor failure in an attempt to protect engine/trans from further damage. limits throttle and rpm to about 3500 rpm.

Won't go back to normal till fault repaired and ecu reset (battery cable removed for short period)
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote