follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 04-29-2017, 11:16 AM   #1
CypriniousM

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Mounting 10" subs in the rear side area

I have been toying with this idea for a little while now.

The rear 3.5" speaker that is in the back side walls sucks and so i changed it to a 6x9 but its not hitting like i want it to so... im going to mount 10" subs in that same spot. Has anyone done this or thought of this?

What i really want to know is if anyone can calculate the air space in that cavity for me in cubic ft. I want to mount regular subs in that space and turn that cavity into a ported box type area but i have no idea how to calculate the volume of an irregular shape like that.

Thoughts anyone?
CypriniousM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 06:19 PM   #2
Chimera

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CypriniousM View Post
I have been toying with this idea for a little while now.

The rear 3.5" speaker that is in the back side walls sucks and so i changed it to a 6x9 but its not hitting like i want it to so... im going to mount 10" subs in that same spot. Has anyone done this or thought of this?

What i really want to know is if anyone can calculate the air space in that cavity for me in cubic ft. I want to mount regular subs in that space and turn that cavity into a ported box type area but i have no idea how to calculate the volume of an irregular shape like that.

Thoughts anyone?
Could try packing peanuts in a garbage bag to get the volume. I think you'd have to do a fair bit of sealing to get the space right.. or go with a sealed enclosure.
Chimera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 06:50 PM   #3
CypriniousM

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimera View Post
Could try packing peanuts in a garbage bag to get the volume. I think you'd have to do a fair bit of sealing to get the space right.. or go with a sealed enclosure.

The interior space is welded sheet metal so I'm not super worried about holes, and if push comes to shove I can close off the whole area and have whatever holes are there act like the ports. At least I think I can do that in theory.

Maybe I can get someone to blow some kind of plastic mold in there to fill the space but I have no idea where that material would work or if there is even such a thing. I'm going to have to go to a sound shop I think and a good one at that yo see if this is even possible

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
CypriniousM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 07:36 PM   #4
Chimera

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CypriniousM View Post
The interior space is welded sheet metal so I'm not super worried about holes, and if push comes to shove I can close off the whole area and have whatever holes are there act like the ports. At least I think I can do that in theory.

Maybe I can get someone to blow some kind of plastic mold in there to fill the space but I have no idea where that material would work or if there is even such a thing. I'm going to have to go to a sound shop I think and a good one at that yo see if this is even possible

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Car tunes in Sandy Springs is a reputable shop, albeit not cheap.
Chimera is offline   Reply With Quote