follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 05-10-2020, 02:37 PM   #15
ziad.k

Drives: Stock Toyota GT86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by x808drifter View Post
Take it to a mechanic/dealer.
i would do that but mechanics and certified companies are dumb bastards who knows nothing i already took it to them, and they said the car seems to be smooth no problems lol...
ziad.k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 06:32 PM   #16
Overdrive
Sittin' Sideways

Drives: 2016 Toyota FR-S
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=129898

This is the auto transmission fluid servicing procedure. It's very involved, and there is no getting around having to do it this way.
Old 05-10-2020, 08:48 PM   #17
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,813 Times in 16,424 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziad.k View Post
it's a hard shift that makes you feel a notch feeling it happens when it release the old gear and moves into the new one from high to low or from low to high, cold.... hot.. it does not mater, it just appear randomly sometime it shift smoothly sometimes you can feel the tranny shacking while shifting.

Okay i'm not a mechanic but i was reading here that i might need to change the release bearing ? does the Automatic version of the 86 come with this bearing ? if yes is there a way i can make sure of it ? because my car never had a major repair before and i don't want to play around with it...
https://86speed.com/revised-oem-toyota-release-bearing-frs-brz-86

and thank you for the help, i love this car and i don't want to ignore the issue and make it get worse...
Automatic transmissions do not have "release bearings", better known as "throw out bearings".
humfrz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 09:01 PM   #18
conehead

Drives: RS 2.0
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Its a "feature" that makes the auto copy the notchy feel of the manual.
conehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 11:53 PM   #19
Overdrive
Sittin' Sideways

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by conehead View Post
Its a "feature" that makes the auto copy the notchy feel of the manual.
You just made me realize, we never asked if he put the transmission in sport mode. Could be the actual "issue".
Old 05-11-2020, 03:23 AM   #20
ziad.k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overdrive View Post
You just made me realize, we never asked if he put the transmission in sport mode. Could be the actual "issue".

Hmmmmmm could be, actually sports mode is not enabled, light is not on the dashboard, but maybe the car decided to go crazy, i will enable the mode and disable it back, hopefully things will go as expected!
Old 05-11-2020, 05:17 AM   #21
ziad.k

Quote:
tried it and nope, i don't know how i can explain it, i feel like the that is having a milliseconds of delay between each gear, which makes the car "notchs" which changing gears.
Old 05-11-2020, 05:59 AM   #22
ziad.k

Quote:

This is the auto transmission fluid servicing procedure. It's very involved, and there is no getting around having to do it this way.

The mechanic changed the oil, and i think he did it in the wrong way :P
Old 05-11-2020, 11:34 AM   #23
86TOYO2k17

Drives: 2017 toyota 86
Thanked 1,188 Times in 781 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:

I already outlined the entire procedure besides getting the dash into temp mode which can be skipped with a scangauge which shows exact temp.

Otherwise it is very quick, simple, and easy. Obviously more complicated than simply draining and refilling but not by much.

I have done it several times with no issues. First when installing my DIY AT cooler i did 2 drain and fills, then again when i installed a stage 2 valve body and decided to switch to redline AT fluid i did it 4 more times to flush out the old fluid.

But yes OP did not come close to following the procedure, and should resolve this known issue, before moving on to trying to resolve potential non issues.
86TOYO2k17 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 86TOYO2k17 For This Useful Post:
Overdrive (05-11-2020), Tcoat (05-11-2020)
Old 05-11-2020, 02:25 PM   #24
ziad.k

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86TOYO2k17 View Post
I already outlined the entire procedure besides getting the dash into temp mode which can be skipped with a scangauge which shows exact temp.

Otherwise it is very quick, simple, and easy. Obviously more complicated than simply draining and refilling but not by much.

I have done it several times with no issues. First when installing my DIY AT cooler i did 2 drain and fills, then again when i installed a stage 2 valve body and decided to switch to redline AT fluid i did it 4 more times to flush out the old fluid.

But yes OP did not come close to following the procedure, and should resolve this known issue, before moving on to trying to resolve potential non issues.
Exactly i have a Launch scanner that have live data stream, i will use it to check the tranny temp and then use the overflow drain, thanks but the issue was happening before this, but anyway i will check it!.
Old 05-11-2020, 10:12 PM   #25
Overdrive
Sittin' Sideways

Garage
Quote:

I didn't think it would hurt to provide a link to essentially the same thing. No offense intended.

Anything gets easier with repetition. I'm sure plenty of people would look at this procedure and find it to be a lot to deal with at first blush just to change transmission fluid along with the need to get the fluid level right. If I had the time, space, and patience to tackle it, I'd definitely give it a shot. Once upon a time I thought doing my own oil change was a big deal, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziad.k
The mechanic changed the oil, and i think he did it in the wrong way :P
Oh, yes, you can be pretty assured that they didn't do it right, because most cars don't need you to do some of the things involved here, and/or they have a dipstick if they're old enough automatics so that you can be pretty sure of your fluid level without having to measure a fluid stream against the width of a c-hair.
Old 05-12-2020, 11:36 AM   #26
ziad.k

Quote:
I didn't think it would hurt to provide a link to essentially the same thing. No offense intended.

Anything gets easier with repetition. I'm sure plenty of people would look at this procedure and find it to be a lot to deal with at first blush just to change transmission fluid along with the need to get the fluid level right. If I had the time, space, and patience to tackle it, I'd definitely give it a shot. Once upon a time I thought doing my own oil change was a big deal, too.

Oh, yes, you can be pretty assured that they didn't do it right, because most cars don't need you to do some of the things involved here, and/or they have a dipstick if they're old enough automatics so that you can be pretty sure of your fluid level without having to measure a fluid stream against the width of a c-hair.
Hello, today i went to my mechanic, asked him to raise the car and told him to allow me to work and he just have to follow my instructions, i monitored the ATF temp using the Launch car scanner, and remove the overflow plug at temp around 30C - 45C and boi, look at this the poor had 2Kgs extra oil, the mechanic wondered how the car will run after all this oil being drained and actually, it felt much better.

Regarding the notchy feeling, i think we found the issue! but where the heck to buy this mount, please check out the video, and please enlighten me!, i called Toyota... damn they want to sell me the whole shaft for 500$....
Attached Images

Old 05-12-2020, 04:26 PM   #27
86TOYO2k17

Drives: 2017 toyota 86
Thanked 1,188 Times in 781 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziad.k View Post
Hello, today i went to my mechanic, asked him to raise the car and told him to allow me to work and he just have to follow my instructions, i monitored the ATF temp using the Launch car scanner, and remove the overflow plug at temp around 30C - 45C and boi, look at this the poor had 2Kgs extra oil, the mechanic wondered how the car will run after all this oil being drained and actually, it felt much better.

Regarding the notchy feeling, i think we found the issue! but where the heck to buy this mount, please check out the video, and please enlighten me!, i called Toyota... damn they want to sell me the whole shaft for 500$....
Don’t think you can, it’s apart of the “front” driveshaft.

Just get a low mileage used driveshaft on eBay for around 100$
86TOYO2k17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 04:47 PM   #28
ziad.k

Quote:
Don’t think you can, it’s apart of the “front” driveshaft.

Just get a low mileage used driveshaft on eBay for around 100$

Can you link me one please? i couldn't find any on Ebay