follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 09-24-2020, 03:01 PM   #1
johunn

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Driveline vibration at low RPM after clutch swap

After the clutch was swapped on my 2014 manual BRZ, the car now has vibrations at low RPM under acceleration that multiple posters have mentioned in other threads. Basically the issue appears when accelerating in the 1700-1900 RPM range in any gear apart from the first. The whole car is vibrating and there is a rattling sound coming from the gearbox area. I am wondering if anyone has finally found a solution to the issue or you just live with it?

Some posters have commented that this is how the twins work. Well that is most definitely not the case, because prior to the swap there were no such issues and it worked perfectly fine accelerating from any RPM. Some posters have mentioned that "lugging" the car is not good. Once again, it's not like I am always driving at 1700 RPM. There are multiple real world scenarios where the car is at the abovementioned RPM and there is no point in swapping down a gear. For example going over a speedbump at 10-15kph, I am not going to swap down a gear from second to first. Slowing down in traffic to 40kph and slowly picking up speed, once again not going down from third to second, it's not like I am trying to race somewhere. All of these scenarios were never before a problem for the BRZ, it picked up speed without any issues and rattles and it has never been a problem for any of the other cars I've driven.

The car is totally stock and has done 78 000km. The new clutch is an OEM Exedy clutch. I've driven around a 1000km after the swap and there has been no change, no "bedding in" or anything like this. Around 200km of this 1000km has been driven on track flat out so it's not like the clutch hasn't had a chance to work.

The Subaru service has taken the tranny apart, balanced the driveline and are just out of their mind about what to do next. They do agree that the situation is not normal however claim that there is no visible issues with the clutch. So they are not going to swap the clutch again for another one for a tryout.

If anyone has finally been able to solve the mystery of the vibrations (without upgrading from stock), then please do let me know. Until then I have to pick routes without speedbumps.
johunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 03:28 PM   #2
gpvecchi

Drives: Toyota 86 GT Limited PP (Model G)
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Did they mark the drive shaft position? If not try rotating 90 degrees. Then again, it can be mounted in 4 positions.
gpvecchi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gpvecchi For This Useful Post:
Danny318 (09-24-2020)
Old 09-24-2020, 09:03 PM   #3
stacyu18

Drives: 2014 subaru brz
carrier bearing? or bad u joints will cause that problem also or they may have been dumb asses and dropped the driveshaft and knock of a weight
stacyu18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 01:15 PM   #4
johunn

Drives: BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpvecchi View Post
Did they mark the drive shaft position? If not try rotating 90 degrees. Then again, it can be mounted in 4 positions.
If you mean the driveshaft position of connecting to the rear differential, then it didn't make a difference in which position it was. In any of the four positions the vibration and noise were still present.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stacyu18 View Post
carrier bearing? or bad u joints will cause that problem also or they may have been dumb asses and dropped the driveshaft and knock of a weight
Carrier bearing was checked and seemed OK. The u joints would have probably caused issues prior to the clutch swap as well and at higher RPM?
johunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 02:26 AM   #5
mattie

Drives: GT86
I was wondering if anyone had a diagnosis on this issue, I have also recently changed clutches and experiencing exactly the same issue?
mattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 06:11 PM   #6
chaoskaze
The Fail Boat

Drives: CWP S.B.
Thanked 1,293 Times in 873 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
I have the same thing but in 3.5-2.5k rpm .........Maybe it has something to do with that OEM Exedy flywheel not being perfectly balanced?

Just clueless on what can cause it but it's kind driving me nuts.

Someone with any insight? I mean how you know if the so call OEM flywheel from exedy isn't the issue...

Last edited by chaoskaze; 10-31-2021 at 06:26 PM.
chaoskaze is offline   Reply With Quote