follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine Swaps

Engine Swaps Discussion of engine swaps.

User Tag List

Old 06-01-2016, 08:42 AM   #29
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

Drives: No twin now.
Thanked 2,407 Times in 1,332 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradsm87 View Post
LOL it's not oddball shit.

It is when contemplating an engine swap. Look at what has been done before, successfully, and working / running / driving and you begin to see what I mean.
Summerwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 09:05 AM   #30
bradsm87

Drives: It has 4 wheels
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerwolf View Post
A built FA20 WOULD get you your overall power goal. You could easily do a stroker kit or the likes to get the torque curve more like what you're looking for and it would still be cheaper than a well sorted engine swap.
I'm completely over building engines. Been there, done that. Too much dependance on work done by others and I always get let down one way or another. My last car had a Darton sleeved 90mm bore SR20 with Manley Honda H22 rods for better rod:stroke ratio with the big ends width machined to SR20 width, custom Mahle 9.5:1 pistons with my own dish shape that retains the full squish area etc. etc. Also, it would cost way more to build an FA20 like I would want to compared to just putting an EZ30 in and selling the FA20 for way more than I buy the EZ30 for. It'd cost a few grand at best for ECU etc.
bradsm87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 09:16 AM   #31
bradsm87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerwolf View Post
It is when contemplating an engine swap. Look at what has been done before, successfully, and working / running / driving and you begin to see what I mean.
I couldn't care less if something has been done before. I've done heaps of mods that hadn't been done before and they've turned out awesome. Thinking something through is way more important than if something's been done before.

It's been done before anyway.

Old 06-01-2016, 09:17 AM   #32
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

Drives: No twin now.
Thanked 2,407 Times in 1,332 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
I'm completely over building engines. Been there, done that. Too much dependance on work done by others and I always get let down one way or another. My last car had a Darton sleeved 90mm bore SR20 with Manley Honda H22 rods for better rod:stroke ratio with the big ends width machined to SR20 width, custom Mahle 9.5:1 pistons with my own dish shape that retains the full squish area etc. etc. Also, it would cost way more to build an FA20 like I would want to compared to just putting an EZ30 in and selling the FA20 for way more than I buy the EZ30 for. It'd cost a few grand at best for ECU etc.
Quote:
I couldn't care less if something has been done before. I've done heaps of mods that hadn't been done before and they've turned out awesome. Thinking something through is way more important than if something's been done before.

It's been done before anyway.

Cool, quit talking and do it. Keep tabs on expenses. Take photos.
Summerwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Summerwolf For This Useful Post:
86kahl (06-01-2016), Calum (06-01-2016), DAEMANO (06-01-2016)
Old 06-01-2016, 09:28 AM   #33
Gear_One_Performance

Drives: 2014 BRZ SCCA STU endurance car
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Power-delivery-wise, this could be done. With the way I'd want to do it, it would cost much more than the EZ30 swap and it's just be yet another forced induction car I've owned and I'd be too tempted to try and get more power out of it on an ongoing basis.
To me that's kind of the beauty of the supercharger setup, you've got a very clear ceiling to your power instead of constantly thinking "oh I could just tune the boost up a bit or pop a slightly bigger turbo on" The EZ30 is a pretty good motor and I think way more heavily supported down by you than over in the states.
Gear_One_Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 09:30 AM   #34
fumanchu1

Drives: 2013 Brz C38 (bought not built :P)
Thanked 1,249 Times in 802 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quote:
EZ30 makes 25% more power and 45% more torque than the FA20. That 45% more torque is available 2200rpm earlier. Makes a huge difference. I don't want any more power or torque than that. An LS when combined with the much heavier gearbox, is heavier than what I want and I just don't like then. It's a big backwards step in terms of technology.

At the same time, I don't want any LESS power and torque than the EZ30 either, which rules out using the FA20.

I don't want less than 220whp or 220 ft-lb torque. A tuned NA FA20 makes considerably less torque than that. I don't want forced induction.

Tempting. this would be verrry new to me. I'm a bit scared by the reliability factor.

Not with gearbox weight factored in and I'm not after that type of power delivery. I have that type of power delivery in another car.

I just don't want forced induction for many reasons. A big one is that I'm way too fussy and would want the very best, which costs too much (Intercooler, 10.5:1 pistons, motor is apart so may as well go Darton sleeves and 90mm bore etc. etc. etc.). I'd give in to temptation over time and spend waaay too much.

It's a bit of a catch-22. V6 too tall and H6 gets in way of steering column.

Having said that, factories always engineer in a huge amount of clearance around items such as the steering column, and with stiffer engine mounts, you can usually always go much closer. The EZ30 has smaller cylinder spacing and isn't that much longer than an FA20 so I think weight distribution could still be really good.

Power-delivery-wise, this could be done. With the way I'd want to do it, it would cost much more than the EZ30 swap and it's just be yet another forced induction car I've owned and I'd be too tempted to try and get more power out of it on an ongoing basis.
So in other words, "hey guys I want suggestions on potential engine swaps but will shoot down any recommendation made because in reality I've already made up my mind and am really posting here to have my peers reinforce my decision so I can feel like I made the right call" Stop me when I'm wrong In all seriousness though I wasn't joking about the h6 variocam

Last edited by fumanchu1; 06-01-2016 at 09:44 AM.
fumanchu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fumanchu1 For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (06-01-2016), EAGLE5 (06-07-2016), mulekr1 (06-01-2016)
Old 06-01-2016, 09:41 AM   #35
bradsm87

Quote:
Originally Posted by fumanchu1 View Post
So in other words, "hey guys I want suggestions on potential engine swaps but will shoot down any recommendation made because in reality I've already made up my mind and am really posting here to have my peers reinforce my decision so I can feel like I made the right call" Stop me when I'm wrong
I didn't ask what engine. I asked what N/A H6 or V6. I had not made up my mind. I didn't realize how much V6s struggle to fit under the bonnet. Now I'm sure I want the EZ30.
Old 06-01-2016, 09:45 AM   #36
fumanchu1

Drives: 2013 Brz C38 (bought not built :P)
Thanked 1,249 Times in 802 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quote:
I didn't ask what engine. I asked what N/A H6 or V6. I had not made up my mind. I didn't realize how much V6s struggle to fit under the bonnet. Now I'm sure I want the EZ30.
sorry was at work got distracted and forgot to finish my sentence, added my last sentence (was about the h6 vario lol)
fumanchu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 03:10 PM   #37
NyC Zn6

Drives: 10 Series #974 6m/t
Thanked 1,141 Times in 669 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
i vote H6 that sound tho click the instagram link as well for sound.
https://www.instagram.com/p/ckr-XEtuSp/

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svNz0HesGs8"]˜–に水平対‘–—*’‚ƒ‚ƒ‚’‰ ›てみŸ€‚ - YouTube[/ame]
NyC Zn6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 04:35 PM   #38
Calum
That Guy

Drives: 2013 asphalt FRS MT
Thanked 2,867 Times in 1,499 Posts
Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
You want a 6, cool. Have at er.

As this thread has basically become two conversations, I'm going to address the other one. Why would the LS have a worse hp/l be of any concern. Wouldn't hp/kg be much more important? Or even hp vs fuel economy? The LS does very well in those categories. It also has a lower CoG of then most v8s as it doesn't have a bunch of weight up in the heads.
Calum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 05:12 PM   #39
bradsm87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calum View Post
You want a 6, cool. Have at er.

As this thread has basically become two conversations, I'm going to address the other one. Why would the LS have a worse hp/l be of any concern. Wouldn't hp/kg be much more important? Or even hp vs fuel economy? The LS does very well in those categories. It also has a lower CoG of then most v8s as it doesn't have a bunch of weight up in the heads.
There are so many reasons why I don't want an LS. I've mentioned most already throughout this thread.
Old 06-01-2016, 05:41 PM   #40
Calum
That Guy

Drives: 2013 asphalt FRS MT
Thanked 2,867 Times in 1,499 Posts
Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quote:
There are so many reasons why I don't want an LS. I've mentioned most already throughout this thread.

All of the reasons I've read here has been subjective. There's nothing wrong with that, you want what you want. I'm not trying to change your opinion, I'm trying to understand yours. You've called the LS a caveman engine, I'd like to know your reasoning for that statement as I'm sure it was well researched and well thought out.
Calum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 06:01 PM   #41
bradsm87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calum View Post
All of the reasons I've read here has been subjective. There's nothing wrong with that, you want what you want. I'm not trying to change your opinion, I'm trying to understand yours. You've called the LS a caveman engine, I'd like to know your reasoning for that statement as I'm sure it was well researched and well thought out.
I personally consider using sheer displacement to make acceptable power with no VVT or 4 valves per cylinder a caveman engine. A lot of people don't. I like the silky smoothness that can be acheived with vvt throughout the revs and I love the EZ30R's variable valve LIFT on one intake valve. It's like a less dramatic VTEC. Each to their own.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bradsm87 For This Useful Post:
Calum (06-01-2016), johan (06-01-2016)
Old 06-01-2016, 06:03 PM   #42
bradsm87

To the "LS will be lighter" crowd:

Fully dressed LS1: 460lb
Fully dressed EZ30R: 315lb

And the T56 weighs probably double the Aisin gearbox.

Last edited by bradsm87; 06-01-2016 at 07:11 PM.