follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > CANADA

CANADA Canada

User Tag List

Old 09-10-2018, 12:11 PM   #1
JPRodney

Drives: 2016 Asphalt FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Lightbulb Insurance - Ontario

Hey Guys & Gals,

Looking to purchase a 2nd car. I have a chance to pick up a clean RSX Type S. The vehicles intended use is project car/ pleasure / track.

Unfortunately I don't own a truck/trailer so the vehicle has to be road legal in Ontario.

I have no issue having the least amount of coverage possible, however I cant find any insurance that will fill my needs. The track is only 1hr away.

- Minimal coverage
- Minimal amount of months under insurance ( June - October )

I'm trying to avoid yearly insurance for a car I would only drive on weekends through the ontario summer. I possibly dont mind making the RSX 6 months and shifting my other car to winter. However even this is stupid expensive for what I'm trying to accomplish.

Is this possible? Do you know of any insurance companies that would oblige? Or am I really out of my league and need to quit these dreams living in Ontario.

I thought of going the classic insurance route as I do attend car shows. I understand my insurance is voided as soon as I step on a track - until I'm back on main roads.
However I believe most classic insurance routes wont follow through because of my age ( 26 ).

Thanks,
JPR
Old 09-10-2018, 12:20 PM   #2
wutsaiu

Drives: 2015 Raven V8
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
How inexpensive is enough for you. For example I pay around $700 a year for my FRS. Works out to be around $60 a month. I store it from October 31st to April 1st. This isn't specialty insurance, full coverage.
wutsaiu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wutsaiu For This Useful Post:
JPRodney (09-10-2018)
Old 09-10-2018, 01:16 PM   #3
JPRodney

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutsaiu View Post
How inexpensive is enough for you. For example I pay around $700 a year for my FRS. Works out to be around $60 a month. I store it from October 31st to April 1st. This isn't specialty insurance, full coverage.
I dont have my FRS anymore. RIP. So right now I drive a V6 mustang and I'm quoted at around $200 a month. I have a few tickets and I'm still fairly young 26.

$60 a month isnt bad. I could live with that. Of course were talking about a RSX type S and they get a lot of theft.

If you dont min me asking - what insurance or broker are you with?

Thanks,
JPR
Old 09-10-2018, 01:21 PM   #4
wutsaiu

Drives: 2015 Raven V8
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I'm with 'The Personal' insurance and they don't seem to care what the car is, even did online quote for GTR and Porsche and my insurance barely changed. That being said they care a lot about the driver. I'm 32 with no tickets, married, 3 cars, rental home insurance, part of a professional organization and I live in a fairly safe town.

Have you started with some quotes? I know it takes time but it gives you an idea.
wutsaiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 01:35 PM   #5
JPRodney

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutsaiu View Post
I'm with 'The Personal' insurance and they don't seem to care what the car is, even did online quote for GTR and Porsche and my insurance barely changed. That being said they care a lot about the driver. I'm 32 with no tickets, married, 3 cars, rental home insurance, part of a professional organization and I live in a fairly safe town.

Have you started with some quotes? I know it takes time but it gives you an idea.
I dont own a house right now and non-married so I dont have that luxury quite yet in life. I'm currently with Aviva who I have a few discounts with and my mustang is currently with.

Doing an online quote with the basics

Mustang is 272 ( reality I'm around $200 )
Acura is 111

That brings my annual premium to around $4606.00 Which I of course could probably get lower if I make a call and get all the details ironed out.

In reality what I was curious about was anyone knew of insurance that offered coverage in ontario that wasnt a year or 6 months. The perfect world for me would be just doing 4 months or weekends during those months and keeping the mustang all year around. Doesnt exist.

If I'm willing to winter store the acura and summer store the mustang, I could possibly set up the insurance to only theft and fire. This way the insurance drops on whichever car is in storage. I believe that is possible.

Ontario sucks.

Thanks,
JPR
Old 09-10-2018, 02:33 PM   #6
Frost
CASC-OR T.A. Director

Drives: '13 Prius, '22 BRZ
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Garage
Go through a broker and ask them for minimal coverage. Most brokers will initially whine and complain but if you push they will find someone who will cover you.

OTA LIVE TIMING LINK
Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Frost For This Useful Post:
JPRodney (09-10-2018)
Old 09-11-2018, 07:38 AM   #7
Skurj

Drives: SOLD...
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Yes go through a broker, get the minimum on it, and then just take coverage off for the winter (or just leave fire and theft on it)
You can't get away from a yearly price
Replaced with 18 50th edition ND
Skurj is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Skurj For This Useful Post:
wparsons (09-11-2018)
Old 09-14-2018, 02:00 PM   #8
KurtZehrINS

Drives: Wish I had One
Above responses are all correct. All automobile insurance is generally based on an annual or semi annual basis(you pay a penalty for 6 month policies). As stated above though, you do not necessarily have to hold road coverage year round. If you insure it for liability when you are going to be driving the Acura, then you can suspend coverage or insure for fire and theft only for the off month. Comprehensive would only be a handful of dollars every month for that time period. You can feel free to PM me if you have more questions. (insurance broker)

Cheers,
KurtZehrINS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KurtZehrINS For This Useful Post:
Frost (09-14-2018), JPRodney (10-01-2018)