follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 04-06-2016, 02:38 PM   #85
ATaraxias

Drives: 1994 Geo Metro Hatchback
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfaffendorn View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynxis View Post
Usually you can but when you're already doing about 60kph @4000rpm in 2nd and that is already 10 over the limit, it's not really an option.
Well, Lynxis, I can now see how the situation you describe could paint you into a very small corner. After doing the math, the 2-lane road you describe sounds to me like a low-speed suburban lane, on which 3rd gear would probably be our maximum range anyway. Not an optimum situation to allow the BRZ to shine; no way we're going to get the tach needle straight up without getting a ticket. For that street and that old fart, you're best negotiating the pass with one of those Mustang type super-HP beasts. When Tcoat and Ultramaroon suggested downshifting to third, I'm sure they imagined, as I did, a freeway where you're already flying in 5th or 6th, and then downshifting to get that tach needle straight up (meaning about 6000 rpm). That's where our twins shine, and where our engines sing. They are sports cars, after all, and they like speed.

This is all very true. If the tach shows anything less than 4K, you are outside of where this car makes it power. I've found that 7600 RPM redline shifts put the car almost exactly where you want it for prime acceleration, somewhere around 4200~ RPMs. @Lynxis, it sounds like you are shifting at or below 6500 RPMs. Does that sound about right?

(Full bolt-on N/A E85 AT, Wayno's Tune, YMMV)
ATaraxias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 05:19 PM   #86
Lynxis

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ 6MT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATaraxias View Post
This is all very true. If the tach shows anything less than 4K, you are outside of where this car makes it power. I've found that 7600 RPM redline shifts put the car almost exactly where you want it for prime acceleration, somewhere around 4200~ RPMs. @Lynxis, it sounds like you are shifting at or below 6500 RPMs. Does that sound about right?

(Full bolt-on N/A E85 AT, Wayno's Tune, YMMV)
I generally shift no higher than 3000rpm when driving normally on the street. In the previous example, I had already shifted into 2nd gear when I came up on the truck and I waited behind him for a minute to see if he was still accelerating and when it appeared that he wasn't, I changed lanes and tried to overtake but I noticed I wasn't gaining on him at WOT in 2nd and I recall thinking at the time that I'd probably gain on him if I waited out the torque dip but I was already going plenty fast for the area so I just let it go.

I also kind of felt like he was trying to goad me into racing him and like I said, I'm not racing anybody on the street, especially on a low speed limit suburban road.
Lynxis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 01:20 AM   #87
Poodles

Drives: 2015 Series.Blue
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by skye67 View Post
Another option, regear the rear end to 4.65 or 4.88. That is what the car should have had in the first place.

Car is already way too buzzy on the highway... plus having to shift more in 0-60 means more chance to lose.
Poodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 03:22 AM   #88
skye67

Drives: 2013 black AT, OFT, 4.65
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poodles View Post
Car is already way too buzzy on the highway... plus having to shift more in 0-60 means more chance to lose.
And that's why after owning a manual. I bought a auto. Mash the loud peddle and it goes!